Anyone have this Smittybilt air compressor?

Why would you "easy strap" that thing to the roll cage? That is dangerous with how heavy that must weigh. Find a better spot for it in the rear of the tub.
By easy strap I mean non permanent. Like a ratchet strap. I don’t have a roll cage just the standard stock bars. It’ll sit on top of tub around rear wheel and strap maybe. Or behind drivers seat. Gotta see. I’m not Runnjng a Baja over here. Logging roads/old trails. Everything nice and slow. No crazy rock crawling. It’ll be fine. Thank you for your support

A few guys I wheel with have this smittybilt but my single ARB beats it. There is also a rip-off version of the smittybilt that people say is just as good. I bought my ARB 12 years ago and it has been on 3 different jeeps, always mounted under the hood.

I like it so much I'm moving it over to my Power Wagon and thinking about getting an identical one again for my LJ (however might go dual..) I end up airing up a lot of people at the end of the day on club runs and it often is running for a good solid 30+ minutes while I get the newbies back on the road.

Reactions: CptnMurica
A few guys I wheel with have this smittybilt but my single ARB beats it. There is also a rip-off version of the smittybilt that people say is just as good. I bought my ARB 12 years ago and it has been on 3 different jeeps, always mounted under the hood.

I like it so much I'm moving it over to my Power Wagon and thinking about getting an identical one again for my LJ (however might go dual..) I end up airing up a lot of people at the end of the day on club runs and it often is running for a good solid 30+ minutes while I get the newbies back on the road.
Ty. Love the response!

I have a Viair built in and it works fine. I also have the larger Smittybilt as a portable. The Smittybilt is much faster than the Viair.
I have the Viair as well and researched a lot before buying it. I saw multiple reviews including head to head youtube comparisons where the big Smittybuilt was much faster than the Viairs. Advertising sensibilities aside, I think they would make a solid choice unless they just break all the time. Their proprietary connection is the main reason I got the Viair over Smittybuilt.

Isn't this the same compressor that's sold under a couple of other names?

Yup, it is.

Some of the other brands come with better or worse hoses and accessories. My buddy has one called "Up Down Air" and its identical but the hose it came with was horrible.

Reactions: Zorba
Lots of folks running that compressor. A bit slow, but it will put air in your tires.
Kind of slow like this :ROFLMAO:

tire pump.jpg

since we're talking compressor output, here's the data on the oft touted Viair 400P which runs about $300. 1.7@60 and 2.5@30 doesn't seem too bad...

View attachment 311586
I bought a 400P a couple months ago on Amazon for $172. It’s a very good unit. About 2:15 to go from 10-25psi.

I have an 88P that worked well enough for 33’s but took 4:15 for my 35’s.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Their claim for 5.6 CFM is, no exaggeration, complete bullshit. In reality, as answered by a Smittybilt employee in their Compton HQ, it is only 1.7 CFM when measured into pressure as it should be to be accurate and truthful. Your lungs can put out 5.65 CFM into the open air but they couldn't put out .1 CFM into a tire.

I personally won't touch a Smittybilt product.

View attachment 311580
^^ this

Pass on smittybilt for false advertising

My gripe with Smittybilt isn't their 2.5 CFM at 30 psi, it's that ALL of their advertisements claim 5.65 CFM which is complete bullshit. It took a lot of digging to find what their real CFM is. It's BS like that that make me disrespect Smittybilt, they're not truthful in their ads.
Jerry, I would not call that bullshit. It is misleading, but it does have some basis in fact - albeit at 0 psi.

I know you are a fan of Derale. A good, reputable, well respected company. Not in the current Smittybilt class by any means. However, they do the same thing with the CFM ratings on their fans. They generally quote ratings at 0 static pressure, which is entirely misleading. Put that fan in front of a radiator and all bets are off. In that case, you need to look at the Amp draw which tells the real story.

As was stated earlier, that type of advertising is definitely targeted at the uneducated consumer.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low