Anyone install hood vents?

You are making assumptions about how airflow and engine power are related.

First, proper venting allows for more airflow, not cooler. I'd argue the air coming past the radiator into the engine bay is now hotter, because there is more heat transfer to the faster air. If any of that hotter air is captured by a stock or CAI, it would reduce performance, not increase it.

Cold air is more dense, but moist air is not. Cold and dry is the most dense.

What I'm saying is on a on a damp moist morning. Why is it that my 4.0 picks up really nice compared to say a hot day? There's a noticeable difference..

I hate to to argue on this point but here in the UK my 4 .0 in the mornings when it's pretty moist damp air ,she flies much better when it's a hot day.

It's only due to the temp, not the moisture. Engines don't burn water very well, and it affects power production, but is offset by temps.

Check out this density altitude calculator

https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da_rh.htm

If vents made a difference I submit that Jeep would have integrated them into the factory design. It's not like automotive engineers aren't good at their jobs....

Reactions: Digg In
If vents made a difference I submit that Jeep would have integrated them into the factory design. It's not like automotive engineers aren't good at their jobs....

That's not the correct assumption

If jeep needed vents for extra engine cooling they would have them integrated into the factory design.

Vents work, they just are not needed in a normal jeep with a properly operating cooling system.

Reactions: Digg In

If jeep needed vents for extra engine cooling they would have them integrated into the factory design.

Vents work, they just are not needed in a normal jeep with a properly operating cooling system.

We are also adding venting to the engine bay for reasons other than performance. Jeep engineers didn't care about the longevity of these vehicles after a certain point in time. We are 18 years past the last of the TJs.

We are also adding venting to the engine bay for reasons other than performance. Jeep engineers didn't care about the longevity of these vehicles after a certain point in time. We are 18 years past the last of the TJs.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I am with the other guys assumptions about jeep engineers.

Reactions: jjvw
Water injection has been used for decades to lower the air intake charge temperature to reduce premature ignition

Higher octane fuel has the same effect.

Water injection or higher octane fuel does not increase hp on it's own. Under certain conditions it can minimize the loss of hp especially on VVT engines.

I submit that in most cases, the color of the hood is the biggest factor in under hood temperatures.

Next time you see a white vehicle parked next to a black vehicle on a hot summer day, put your palms on both vehicles.

I think someone was over compensating....

1705273947953.png

This is under that hood.

1705274099270.png

It's only due to the temp, not the moisture. Engines don't burn water very well, and it affects power production, but is offset by temps.

Check out this density altitude calculator

[URL]https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da_rh.htm[/URL]

That's not entirely true as they've been using water injection on turbocharged vehicles for many years and even naturally aspirated....

Screenshot_20240115-101547.png

Which turbo did you install on your 4.0?

No, I didn't fit a turbo , what I'm saying is water injection had been used on both turbocharged and naturally aspirated engines, for years , It makes a sizable difference. And on certain mornings when that air density is just right you feel the difference... So if you can take some of the hot air away from the air inlet and give the engine a cooler air mix you going to notice a difference..

No, I didn't fit a turbo , what I'm saying is water injection had been used on both turbocharged and naturally aspirated engines, for years , It makes a sizable difference. And on certain mornings when that air density is just right you feel the difference... So if you can take some of the hot air away from the air inlet and give the engine a cooler air mix you going to notice a difference..

You should install water injection onto your 4.0.

This why it's best to get the excess hot air out of the engine bay or simply fit a snorkel..

Screenshot_20240115-101547.png

They may have, but the bean counters came back with:

It will cost us 11 cents per vehicle to install these vents that will help longevity, however it will only save us 8 cents per vehicle in anticipated claims within the warranty period.

Therefore, this is an unnecessary 3 cents per vehicle additional cost that directly diminishes the profits that we could be getting.

And all us bean counters get an attaboy and a bonus for saving those 3 cents.

Reactions: Zorba and inkedrose