Anyone know how to test a camshaft position sensor on a 2006 4.0 TJ?

blacksun43

Supporting Member
Does anyone know the proper way to test a 2006 TJ 4.0 Auto Camshaft Position Sensor? I have a Check Engine Light (CEL) and code P0340 and I’d like to test the sensor before just tossing it and installing a new one. I cleaned it up before the photo shoot. Thanks!
4466B668-3DFB-4059-B77E-223916287DB5.jpeg
C5F93172-91FE-426F-A234-FF5C34EC8C2F.jpeg
12BFC7D4-F9B0-44CA-B030-6F32657FCD53.jpeg

Last edited:
You need DVA Meter it will measure ultra fast trigger volts. Reg DVMM can't read micro volt bursts but it can test for shorts with continuity. If shorted toss.
dva.png

Reactions: blacksun43
If it's not the sensor, you've got bigger problems. Go to your local parts store and replace it. If the code clears you're good. If it doesn't well, your timing is off. Also check wiring for wear/shorts.

I'm a little confused, the code is camshaft and that looks like a crankshaft position sensor.
It sure does and I can only speak for the 06 TJ, but the camshaft position sensor for the 06 has the additional wiring (pigtail?) with the plastic flex conduit. I disconnected this sensor from the OPDA if that helps.

Also, is this sensor considered a Hall Effect type sensor?

Reactions: pagrey
If it's not the sensor, you've got bigger problems. Go to your local parts store and replace it. If the code clears you're good. If it doesn't well, your timing is off. Also check wiring for wear/shorts.
I’m beginning to think it’s a bigger problem. I installed a new CPS, it appears to be the same brand because it has the same identifiers on the part - Standard from O’Reilly.

Just to cover it, the OPDA is a LDI, Inc. 53010624AC w/ 106060-Rev-E. Is this the crown replacement? I don’t think it is, but I see so many different responses, I’m not sure.

Now, after replacing the CPS, the Jeep is displaying a P0344 code. Haha!! The P0340 code appears to have been resolved. When I attempt to accelerate quickly, at around 3,000 RPMs, the motor sputters, however, if I gradually increase speed, without sending the RPMs into the same range, I can gradually increase speed.

Prior to installing the new CPS, I used my multimeter and checked the power to the sensor and ground, all checked out well, ~5v on two terminals and contact with the third confirmed a ground.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next? I’m going to order the Mopar OEM CPS to rule out the OEM vs Aftermarket debate and see what it’s result is.

You need service manual for voltage Specs on sensor to match with DVA reading. That's the answer to your question.

When I replaced the opda in my 06 LJ I used a aluminum rivet I had laying around to put in the old opda to mark I was in the correct timing position. I replaced the opda and it cranked right up but had the same sputter on hard acceleration as you are mentioning. It also had a check engine light on for a crank sensor failure. I then thought that the diameter of the rivet might have been much smaller than the hole in the opda and maybe I could still be a tooth off. I got it in the garage and pulled the #1 plug to confirm "top dead center" and I crawled under my jeep to look for a timing mark on the crank pulley. It was a small notch in the pulley and I marked it with white paint. The the timing mark on the top side mounted to front of the motor is hard to see but it can be done. I lined up the white painted notch on the crank pulley with the indicator on the top side and with the top of the opda removed the holes didn't line up. I took the opda back out and put the original opda plastic pin back in the opda and reinstalled the opda. I think the 1st time I cranked it up I was 180 out so I pulled it and stabbed the opda again with the plastic pin back in place. It seems to be fine now. I'm not sure if this is the same problem your having but it sounds similar to mine. I hope this helps....

I never changed/replaced the crank sensor. I also still have the plastic pin sent with the new opda. I needed it once who knows when I might need it again. Hope it goes well for you. MOE

I’m beginning to think it’s a bigger problem. I installed a new CPS, it appears to be the same brand because it has the same identifiers on the part - Standard from O’Reilly.

Just to cover it, the OPDA is a LDI, Inc. 53010624AC w/ 106060-Rev-E. Is this the crown replacement? I don’t think it is, but I see so many different responses, I’m not sure.

Now, after replacing the CPS, the Jeep is displaying a P0344 code. Haha!! The P0340 code appears to have been resolved. When I attempt to accelerate quickly, at around 3,000 RPMs, the motor sputters, however, if I gradually increase speed, without sending the RPMs into the same range, I can gradually increase speed.

Prior to installing the new CPS, I used my multimeter and checked the power to the sensor and ground, all checked out well, ~5v on two terminals and contact with the third confirmed a ground.

Any suggestions on what I should look at next? I’m going to order the Mopar OEM CPS to rule out the OEM vs Aftermarket debate and see what it’s result is.

Now I dealt with this issue on my Miata, and the new cam sensor did the exact same thing to me. I couldn’t go over 3k rpms and threw a new code on it as well. There is more too that story- I put the original sensor back in after some tinkering (immobilizer issue) and everything worked.
Anyway, yes I believe it does have to be calibrated (as someone has more intelligently explained).

Crankshaft sensor is a different can of worms. It would not run if that’s what is locking it out.

So did you ever get your problem fixed and is so how?
I haven’t yet. I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a mopar, the check engine light remained on and I took a drive around the block. When I was making a right hand turn, I could feel it was going to die aaand the Jeep died.

I was able to restart and limp it to the driveway. I have a Crown OPDA I’m waiting to install, but I think I’m going to check electrical wiring first. Are you having a similar issue?

I first started noticing the engine trying to die a couple times before when I would hit some bumps that felt pretty rough. I’m talking about at 35mph and also at highway speed. I would feel the Jeep rattle pretty good anddash warning lights would go on and then off. Which makes me think there’s something loose somewhere.

My 04 is a bit different as far as the sensor itself but I think the wiring is similar. The grounds just behind the OPDA are very important. The same system also powers the throttle position switch and VSS at the rear of the transfer case so a shorted or damaged harness going back there can cause problems too. It is pretty common to put allot of stress on the harness at the rear of the valve cover when changing the valve cover gasket or coil pack.

Happy to report that I cleaned the ground @pagrey mentioned and replaced the OPDA with the Crown model. I kept the Crown Cam Position Sensor because I first tried the replacement Mopar CPS, and I was still getting a P0344 code. I then changed the CPS back to the Crown CPS and everything is good so far. Thanks to @Bill M. for guidance as well. 😎

Reactions: Bill M.