Anyone know where I can buy new lifters?

Greenmachine

TJ Enthusiast
I’m overhauling the camshaft, timing chain, OPDA, head and lifters on my Jeep, but sourcing all the parts is proving difficult.

Anyone know a good brand of lifters? Chrysler doesn’t make them anymore.
Perhaps a cam and lifter combo?

Also, are tappets just lifters by another name?

2005 4.0

thanks!

Camshafts and lifters should be replaced as a set....
After hours of engine operation the lifters develop a wear pattern to match the specific camshaft lobe and should not be mismatched to another lobe.
If you are going to replace the OPDA, timing chain and lifters you should replace the cam shaft too....
The OPDA drive gear creates wear marks on the camshaft gear; if you are disassembling the engine to replace the timing gears you should replace the camshaft too....

YES..... tappets are just another name for lifters....

Melling which is a very good manufacturer offers a kit. You may need to search around for it right now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8308604&cc=1430906&pt=15058&jsn=974&jsn=974&jsn=974
Thanks! I think I found this one on Amazon.

90959D23-B961-4A8D-B0B3-03DBAFE03C1F.png

Camshafts and lifters should be replaced as a set....
After hours of engine operation the lifters develop a wear pattern to match the specific camshaft lobe and should not be mismatched to another lobe.
If you are going to replace the OPDA, timing chain and lifters you should replace the cam shaft too....
The OPDA drive gear creates wear marks on the camshaft gear; if you are disassembling the engine to replace the timing gears you should replace the camshaft too....

YES..... tappets are just another name for lifters....
Thanks for all the info.

as a further point of clarification, does the OPDA also go by the name of synchros?

Thanks for all the info.

as a further point of clarification, does the OPDA also go by the name of synchros?
Camshaft synchronizer is what they call the earlier one back until it replaced the distributor. 05-06 they call it the oil pump drive assembly. Rock Auto calls yours a camshaft synchronizer.

Reactions: Greenmachine
Just sayin the amount of teardown involved if your motor is high mileage, maybe consider getting it rebuilt. Then there is also the small stuff like, do the hoses need changing, thermostat, water pump while its all apart. Might check out Comp cams 163-201-5 which is said to work well. I just installed one but have been waiting for 8 weeks for exhaust :rolleyes:

If I was spending the money Id talk to Russ at Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines and see what he could do for you . He nitrides his cams and is a harland sharp dealer IF you want to swan dive in the deep end ....

Just sayin the amount of teardown involved if your motor is high mileage, maybe consider getting it rebuilt. Then there is also the small stuff like, do the hoses need changing, thermostat, water pump while its all apart. Might check out Comp cams 163-201-5 which is said to work well. I just installed one but have been waiting for 8 weeks for exhaust :rolleyes:

Any update on the cam change? Was the engine rebuilt at the same time?

Any update on the cam change? Was the engine rebuilt at the same time?
Well long story but cam's in the trash and engine is a part now waiting on shiny new parts to reassemble. I'm turning it into a stroker at least that is the plan. I found metal in the pan going after the rms for the fourth time. The only thing I thought didn't look right was the cam timing gear was a little rough and wear marks. I thought about just new bearings and cam etc, but the crank had a wear line where the rms rides on it.