Anyone know where I can get a 05-06 lower shifter boot?

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Not long ago I removed all my carpet and center console to do a deep clean. I noticed that the lower shifter boot was torn. I’ve been wanting to replace it because I noticed heat is just pouring in like gangbusters. The only one I can find is through Collins Bros for $79. Anyone know where you can get these for a better deal? Or have a cheap solution?

https://collinsbrosjeep.com/05-06-tj-lj-lower-shift-boot/

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepZilla380
Not long ago I removed all my carpet and center console to do a deep clean. I noticed that the lower shifter boot was torn. I’ve been wanting to replace it because I noticed heat is just pouring in like gangbusters. The only one I can find is through Collins Bros for $79. Anyone know where you can get these for a better deal? Or have a cheap solution?

https://collinsbrosjeep.com/05-06-tj-lj-lower-shift-boot/
I pass by Collins Bros Jeep every week @JMT let me know if I can be of any help
There are universal shifter boots, would take some looking tho

Reactions: JMT
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I just did this back in April.
Not a big savings, Ordered off ebay, $73. But it took a week to get to me. Says item located in Nashville. But it shipped from Texas, which would probably help you.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=152819981716
Thanks! Did you have heat pouring in before you replaced it? I’m trying to determine if its just heat in general from the transmission tunnel transferring through the tub or mainly bc of the boot.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks! Did you have heat pouring in before you replaced it? I’m trying to determine if its just heat in general from the transmission tunnel or mainly bc of the boot.
I just bought the TJ in March and was going through it in the shop when I found the ripped boot. Never drove it in the heat before I fixed it. (we had snow here 3 days in April!)
Was more concerned with dirt, dust, and water infiltration.

The only bitch about the install was loosening / tightening the OEM transfer case shifter bolts by myself so the boot can slip under it.

The only bitch about the install was loosening / tightening the OEM transfer case shifter bolts by myself so the boot can slip under it.
are those bolts only accessible from underneath the Jeep?

The bolts for the boot go thru the top down into rivnuts. Several of the nuts would spin. Seems like 3 or 4 bolts needed a light vice grip to hold from the bottom.
Mines a midwest (salt) jeep while not overly corroded was enough to make it a pain.

The bolts for the boot go thru the top down into rivnuts. Several of the nuts would spin. Seems like 3 or 4 bolts needed a light vice grip to hold from the bottom.
Mines a midwest (salt) jeep while not overly corroded was enough to make it a pain.
Thanks for the help. It saves some coin and helps with the install! :)

Thanks for the help. It saves some coin and helps with the install! :)
You're welcome!

I had the TJ on a hoist, it was pretty monotonous: lift it, set the vice grip, lower it, tighten, oops vice grip slipped, hoist it, reposition the vice grip, etc.

My small boy (right hand man) is 20 now and was off in college, so I had to wing it alone!

I dread that day. Mine are both 12, and invaluable working on the Jeep. Our future arrangement is I’ll help them build their Jeeps and they’ll help me. Only problem will be getting together!

I dread that day. Mine are both 12, and invaluable working on the Jeep. Our future arrangement is I’ll help them build their Jeeps and they’ll help me. Only problem will be getting together!
Excellent, you need to find things to do to stay engaged with them and they'll become very capable adults with excellent problem solving skills.
Son's finishing putting a dana 60 under his K-30 wheeler. When my wife and I went on vacation in February, he rebuilt his small block 350 with a little help from his mechanic friend.

Excellent, you need to find things to do to stay engaged with them and they'll become very capable adults with excellent problem solving skills.
Son's finishing putting a dana 60 under his K-30 wheeler. When my wife and I went on vacation in February, he rebuilt his small block 350 with a little help from his mechanic friend.
Well said, well said! I couldn't agree more...

Update: I got the new lower shifter boot in. However, when I accessed the current situation, I’m now reticent to install it. Look at this pic.
A4D2B0FD-BA6D-41B4-AD04-EC1F78AAB1EB.jpeg

When you slip the shifter on, there are two large rubber pieces that wrap around the threaded portion. They’re really fat. They’re right where the shifter stem is supposed to pass through the lower boot. That’s probably why the present one pictured is torn to shreds. It doesn’t help that it’s also 13 yrs old).

My thinking is that the 1.25” BL lifted the tub away from the TCase, pulling the rubber pieces right into the boot. However, I also have a 1” MML, but I believe the angle shifts at the transmission mount, so that would make it even lower. If this theory is flawed, please tell me!

So, after reading, a TT is supposed to correct this since it raises the TCase back up. Man, what have I got myself into. Help me if you know what to do here!?

Last edited:
You guys got them when it was good. For 03-06, they're $250 anywhere I can find them. o_O

Any recommendations for where to look?

this thread aged well :ROFLMAO:

You guys got them when it was good. For 03-06, they're $250 anywhere I can find them. o_O

Any recommendations for where to look?

most of us have gone to alternatives like marrying boots from other vehicles to the hard plastic base of the torn factory boot. One from a year range of Mustangs is one that has been common, I ended up using one from an early TJ when I did my AX15 swap.

• Haha
this thread aged well :ROFLMAO:

most of us have gone to alternatives like marrying boots from other vehicles to the hard plastic base of the torn factory boot. One from a year range of Mustangs is one that has been common, I ended up using one from an early TJ when I did my AX15 swap.

I expected something like that. Unfortunately, the plastic tower that locates the console is also damaged, so I'm trying to replace that, too.

• Sad
I expected something like that. Unfortunately, the plastic tower that locates the console is also damaged, so I'm trying to replace that, too.

the "aged well" joke was because @JMT literally just swapped an auto into his TJ. he's got his lower boot posted for sale, but it looks like there are potential buyers in line, so you might pay attention and see if something changes and it becomes available again.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/05-06-lower-boot-manual-6-speed.76936/