Anyone running a Ford 9" front and rear?

W
For what it’s worth, I like the function of 5.38s and my stock Rubi locker. I will most likely just retube (with max OD and wall) and run some beefier knuckles on my stock axle. The Dana 30 outer elements seem to be the big point of failure on fake Rubi Dana 44s
why would you waste money on retubing a low pinion front diff?

That’s a good question. Considering I could get a really cheap HP at the junkyard. Guess I didn’t think about that part. From working on other rigs time to time I forget mine is LP

We’ve shifted a bit from 9” discussion but if you start with 1978-1979 F-250 HP44 shouldn’t need to retube as they should be 3” tube with 1/2” wall.

So far the best price I can find on a 9" combination came in at around $11,300. This doesn't sound horrible, until you qualify that with the front would come with 1/2 ton inner Cs. I spoke with Carbon Offroad yesterday and can get a 44/60 combination delivered for $8500. The price noted is with an Eaton E locker. If I went with an ARB it's about $80 cheaper. Based on a lengthy conversation with Carbon, they use Currie housings and build them with their gears, axles, etc. Here's how they describe the pair:

SHIPS WITH AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR LUBE
  • CARBON 60 REAR Fits Jeep TJ '97-'06
    35 spline Eaton Locker or ARB Air Locker
    Carbon 35 Spline Chromoly Axle Shafts, Flanges drilled 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5" bolt circles, Uses 1/2" wheel studs to work with existing wheels and brakes to help save you money!
    High Pinion Design to keep your driveshaft out of the rocks and improve driveline angle.
    Choice of 1310 or 1350 Yoke
    Housing, Gears, Locker and Cover Warrantied for 10 Years against breakage
    May require new driveline, customer must confirm driveline length after installation. Will REQUIRE fuel tank relocation for cover clearance.
  • CARBON 44 FRONT Fits Jeep TJ '97-'06
    Designed for 2"-6" Lift, with caster optimized for 4" lift
    Eaton 4 Spider Locker or ARB Air Locker
    30 Spline Carbon Chromoly Axles with 15 Year Warranty
    Re-Uses your outer knuckles and brakes to save you $.
    May require new driveline, customer must confirm driveline length after installation.
  • 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38 Gear ratios

Reactions: Sea Cot
So far the best price I can find on a 9" combination came in at around $11,300. This doesn't sound horrible, until you qualify that with the front would come with 1/2 ton inner Cs. I spoke with Carbon Offroad yesterday and can get a 44/60 combination delivered for $8500. The price noted is with an Eaton E locker. If I went with an ARB it's about $80 cheaper. Based on a lengthy conversation with Carbon, they use Currie housings and build them with their gears, axles, etc. Here's how they describe the pair:

Carbon 35 Spline Chromoly Axle Shafts, Flanges drilled 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5" bolt circles, Uses 1/2" wheel studs to work with existing wheels and brakes to help save you money!
    High Pinion Design to keep your driveshaft out of the rocks and improve driveline angle.
    May require new driveline, customer must confirm driveline length after installation. Will REQUIRE fuel tank relocation for cover clearance.
    May require new driveline, customer must confirm driveline length after installation.
Rookie question. Does Carbon install the locker and gears?

I’m all for your 60 rear even though it’s semi float. Are the axle shafts stock length from another vehicle or custom?
but the 44 you mentioned is not much of an upgrade to what you currently have. A junkyard 44 hp diff would be ideal for your situation or 60 diff with 44 outers. 30 or 35 spline inners 300m rcvs and 30 spline outers. You ain’t breaking anything with 37s or 40s and a wimpy 4.0.

Rookie question. Does Carbon install the locker and gears?

Yes. They get empty housings from Currie, then build them with their gears, axles, etc. The 60 comes with a 10 year breakage warranty for the housing, gears, locker and cover. The front 44 shows a 15 year warranty only on the axle shafts. I'm not sure if it extends to the other parts. I'll have to clarify this.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
I’m all for your 60 rear even though it’s semi float. Are the axle shafts stock length from another vehicle or custom?
but the 44 you mentioned is not much of an upgrade to what you currently have. A junkyard 44 hp diff would be ideal for your situation or 60 diff with 44 outers. 30 or 35 spline inners 300m rcvs and 30 spline outers. You ain’t breaking anything with 37s or 40s and a wimpy 4.0.

I did go back and fourth on a full-float and semi-float rear. Based on my goals, a light right foot, and willingness to stop when I should, I'm confident the semi-float will be more than strong enough.

As for the front, the reinforced center section; 3-inch diameter .375 wall axle tubes; gusseted inner knuckle; and 8.8 JK gear set is certainly stronger than the stock 44 2.5-inch diameter .250 wall axle tubes. As you said though, a junkyard 44 might be a good option, but time is something I don't have a lot of now. I've done a couple axles years ago, and if I remember correctly, it was cheaper, but not significantly cheaper. Nothing is 100% decided yet. A 9-inch isn't out of the running just yet, but I'm inching closer to a 44/60 combo.

That said, Fusion has some interesting options and is on my "to call" list. They offer some 9"/10" choices, as well as some really nice Kingpin 60s. The later is certainly overkill for me, but eliminating ball joints in favor of bearings would be nice.

Yes. They get empty housings from Currie, then build them with their gears, axles, etc. The 60 comes with a 10 year breakage warranty for the housing, gears, locker and cover. The front 44 shows a 15 year warranty only on the axle shafts. I'm not sure if it extends to the other parts. I'll have to clarify this.
Does Carbon mark up the Currie housings?

They make gears? Where are they made?

I did go back and fourth on a full-float and semi-float rear. Based on my goals, a light right foot, and willingness to stop when I should, I'm confident the semi-float will be more than strong enough.

As for the front, the reinforced center section; 3-inch diameter .375 wall axle tubes; gusseted inner knuckle; and 8.8 JK gear set is certainly stronger than the stock 44 2.5-inch diameter .250 wall axle tubes. As you said though, a junkyard 44 might be a good option, but time is something I don't have a lot of now. I've done a couple axles years ago, and if I remember correctly, it was cheaper, but not significantly cheaper. Nothing is 100% decided yet. A 9-inch isn't out of the running just yet, but I'm inching closer to a 44/60 combo.

That said, Fusion has some interesting options and is on my "to call" list. They offer some 9"/10" choices, as well as some really nice Kingpin 60s. The later is certainly overkill for me, but eliminating ball joints in favor of bearings would be nice.
ball joint eliminators for old school 44s are being made now.

Does Carbon mark up the Currie housings?

They make gears? Where are they made?
I don't believe they mark up the housings, just use them to install their parts. The shafts are made in India and the gears are made in Korea or Italy.