Anyone running a Ford 9" front and rear?

After a few calls to Currie and Dynatrac, along with input from here, I'm largely convinced that the 9" front, at least the one with 1/2 ton outers, isn't for me. Obviously I could spend a bunch of money and address this, but the gain vs $ side of the equation doesn't balance.

My current front 44 is a stock Rubicon low pinion housing and Cs, with Reid knuckles. It's worked well for years, even with the heavier 100 Lb 35" tire/wheel combination. My continued confidence is there, but I'd like to:
1. Get the pinion up as little higher. I've already broken one and the replacement has been damaged.
2. Move up to a 37" tire. I know there is other work to be done to do this, which I'm planning out as well.

Based on what I've gathered so far, and taking into consideration my requirements, I'm convinced a Dana 60 is overkill for me up front. That said, the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is at the top of my list for that spot. Currie is my second choice, but I'm going to call them one more time to validate something I was told, i.e. they use a modified bearing in their housing. My preference is to not have specialized custom bearings, but, as I said, this needs to be confirmed. FWIW, I used this chart to help gather some data on the 44 options.

Dana 44 Comparison Chart

As for the rear, a 9" is still in the running. Several people I know run 37" tires on the stock Ford Bronco 9" rear. I've yet to see a major failure with any of them over the last 5+ years of wheeling together. In terms of my current rear setup, this is another case where my low pinion has caused me issues. Like the front, I broke an ear off the yoke a couple years ago. This issue has since been mitigated with the addition of a Nth degree diff skid I picked up, but this sacrifices clearance.

View attachment 143517
Im not sure the lp Ford 9 will gain you any pinion clearance in the rear. IIRC, the axle centerline to pinion measurement is more than a lp Dana 44’s axle centerline to pinion measurement.
Have you looked into that?

Ive solved this issue with a high pinion GW’s 10 inch. (Yet to be complete, waiting on a Spidertrax housing.)

Another option to consider is to take a page out of the rock bouncer world. Most of those guys choose not to run a typical pinion yoke.Instead they run a pinion flange which *can* provide some relief from rocks tearing up a typical eared pinion yoke.

Example: not a 44, but you can clearly see how it is a better solution in the rocks than a typical pinion yoke.

BABF6B6D-0BC4-478D-816C-66029375A200.jpeg
69DF8832-897F-4E2D-8AE9-12AA1660AE03.jpeg
A2908F33-B23D-4447-B7EF-8EB774D7D076.jpeg
69B17246-8BC7-42AD-905E-156ED53F5D7D.jpeg

After a few calls to Currie and Dynatrac, along with input from here, I'm largely convinced that the 9" front, at least the one with 1/2 ton outers, isn't for me. Obviously I could spend a bunch of money and address this, but the gain vs $ side of the equation doesn't balance.

My current front 44 is a stock Rubicon low pinion housing and Cs, with Reid knuckles. It's worked well for years, even with the heavier 100 Lb 35" tire/wheel combination. My continued confidence is there, but I'd like to:
1. Get the pinion up as little higher. I've already broken one and the replacement has been damaged.
2. Move up to a 37" tire. I know there is other work to be done to do this, which I'm planning out as well.

Based on what I've gathered so far, and taking into consideration my requirements, I'm convinced a Dana 60 is overkill for me up front. That said, the Dynatrac ProRock 44 is at the top of my list for that spot. Currie is my second choice, but I'm going to call them one more time to validate something I was told, i.e. they use a modified bearing in their housing. My preference is to not have specialized custom bearings, but, as I said, this needs to be confirmed. FWIW, I used this chart to help gather some data on the 44 options.

Dana 44 Comparison Chart

As for the rear, a 9" is still in the running. Several people I know run 37" tires on the stock Ford Bronco 9" rear. I've yet to see a major failure with any of them over the last 5+ years of wheeling together. In terms of my current rear setup, this is another case where my low pinion has caused me issues. Like the front, I broke an ear off the yoke a couple years ago. This issue has since been mitigated with the addition of a Nth degree diff skid I picked up, but this sacrifices clearance.

View attachment 143517
I would give someone a call who makes hd 44 inner and outer c/knuckles. Crane.
They could build you a bomb proof hp44 for 37s.
what’s dynatrac and curries hd knuckles even look like? It’ss weird secret.

Im not sure the lp Ford 9 will gain you any pinion clearance in the rear. IIRC, the axle centerline to pinion measurement is more than a lp Dana 44’s axle centerline to pinion measurement.
Have you looked into that?

Ive solved this issue with a high pinion GW’s 10 inch. (Yet to be complete, waiting on a Spidertrax housing.)

Another option to consider is to take a page out of the rock bouncer world. Most of those guys choose not to run a typical pinion yoke.Instead they run a pinion flange which *can* provide some relief from rocks tearing up a typical eared pinion yoke.

Example: not a 44, but you can clearly see how it is a better solution in the rocks than a typical pinion yoke.

I'm definitely tuned into the LP vs HP 9 inch. Below is a quote taken from Currie's site. However, when you try to configure the rear, there's no option for LP or HP. Maybe I need to call them and sort through this one. As for the flange mount, I've seen these before and wondered why you don't see them on more axle assemblies. Cost maybe?

"The only parts needed to complete this unit is a 9" high or low pinion 3rd. member, a drum or disc brake kit, caliper flex hose kit (CE-6013E), parking brake cable kit (CE-6020J), and assembly of the unit! This unit is 61" wide."

I would give someone a call who makes hd 44 inner and outer c/knuckles. Crane.
They could build you a bomb proof hp44 for 37s.
what’s dynatrac and curries hd knuckles even look like? It’ss weird secret.

I called Crane and they focus on 14 Bolt and Dana 80 axle assemblies only. They do offer inner 44 C's and outer knuckles. The inner C's are 2.75" ID bore, but can be custom bored at $40 each.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Crane and Reid both have Ford Dana 60 C’s/knuckles on website. They are 3” bore with options for larger so would have to be custom housing. Not saying that cheap route but it gives you option to do use that and HP 9” third for front. That with 35 spline shafts should stand up to 37s.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I called Crane and they focus on 14 Bolt and Dana 80 axle assemblies only. They do offer inner 44 C's and outer knuckles. The inner C's are 2.75" ID bore, but can be custom bored at $40 each.
Sucks to hear. I know for a fact that they are soon to open up to complete bolt in axle assemblies for Jeeps. But how long down the road and what jeeps they are gonna focus on is unknown. You could always call solid and see if he has any hp44 chunks left from his last 44 casting shipment.

Sucks to hear. I know for a fact that they are soon to open up to complete bolt in axle assemblies for Jeeps. But how long down the road and what jeeps they are gonna focus on is unknown. You could always call solid and see if he has any hp44 chunks left from his last 44 casting shipment.

I'm certainly seeing a patterned focus on later model Jeeps (JK, JL, & JT), which is to be expected. However, I'd like to think that my particular need isn't an oddball one. Lots of folks out there want to run 37" tires on an LJ and keep the weight down. However, the options for doing so seem limited, largely, to Dana 60. Interestingly, when I talked to Dynatrac about their 44/60 Hybrid, I was told I'm better off just going to the 60.

I'm certainly seeing a patterned focus on later model Jeeps (JK, JL, & JT), which is to be expected. However, I'd like to think that my particular need isn't an oddball one. Lots of folks out there want to run 37" tires on an LJ and keep the weight down. However, the options for doing so seem limited, largely, to Dana 60. Interestingly, when I talked to Dynatrac about their 44/60 Hybrid, I was told I'm better off just going to the 60.
For the rear, yes a 60 cost me only a few hundred more than a 44. I have the Rockjock with skid and I’m very happy with it.

Front is not just a few hundred.

You are building this for rear right?
Are you doing full float?
What are your plans for housing ends and brakes?
For my YJ build, yes rear will be a built Spidertrax assembly. Full width, 35 splines maybe a 40 spline, yet to confirm on that. Spidertrax FF ends, Spidertrax unit bearings, and their hats on 14.5 inch rotors with Wilwoods.

Front will be a 10 inch Dana 60 center section or a Dynatrac 60 center section. Need a leaf pad cast in the housing. So I am a bit limitedIn selections. Im not a big fan of the way Currie does their front leaf applications as they are not cast into the centers.

They don't fit the TJ, but the inner is certainly the stoutest looking C I came across. Here's what they say (I especially like that they stand behind the C with a lifetime warranty!).

dana-44-inner-c-main-image-opt.jpg

A Lighter Weight Stronger Dana 44 Inner C

Using 8620 Chromoly Steel on these Dana 44 Inner Knuckles instead of cast iron allows us to produce a lighter and stronger Inner C. Our 8620 chromoly parts can take abuse day in and day out. 8620 Alloy Chromooly Steel has a much higher carbon content than mild steel. The higher amount of carbon means increased strength. This material is characterized by a hard outer surface, combined with a ductile interior for higher strength. Minimum properties of 8620 (chrome-nickel-moly) alloy steel; Tensile Strength, psi: 97,000 Yield, psi 57,000.

Lifetime Guarantee

You can ride without worry. We offer a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer defect or failure. This means you are guaranteed a product that works the way it was designed to work.

Included:

• 2 (pair) - Crane Axle Dana 44 Inner Knuckles (Inner C's)

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons
For my YJ build, yes rear will be a built Spidertrax assembly. Full width, 35 splines maybe a 40 spline, yet to confirm on that. Spidertrax FF ends, Spidertrax unit bearings, and their hats on 14.5 inch rotors with Wilwoods.

Front will be a 10 inch Dana 60 center section or a Dynatrac 60 center section. Need a leaf pad cast in the housing. So I am a bit limitedIn selections. Im not a big fan of the way Currie does their front leaf applications as they are not cast into the centers.

I thought 40 spline at first but have been told by builders that is overkill for 37s or even 40s and is less support in terms lockers. Quick search suggests at least the locker part is accurate.

Will you have to do anything special to run that brake setup and is it needed? That is part for rear I’m kinda hung up on wondering if 1/2 ton discs aren’t enough.

*Yes I’ve asked similar questions in other thread. Not discounting input from anyone, just like to hear various opinions when making decision.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Do they still make the 44/60? I wonder if it’s because the proRock has about the same ground clearance anyway...supply and demand 😵

I thought 40 spline at first but have been told by builders that is overkill for 37s or even 40s and is less support in terms lockers. Quick search suggests at least the locker part is accurate.

Will you have to do anything special to run that brake setup and is it needed? That is part for rear I’m kinda hung up on wondering if 1/2 ton discs aren’t enough.

*Yes I’ve asked similar questions in other thread. Not discounting input from anyone, just like to hear various opinions when making decision.
40 spline is overkill and severely limits locker choices. But as we all are aware, the Jeep modification bug never stops getting itched.
I still find myself going back and fourth. Likely a spool will be my solution. Or go to a 35 spline ARB if I want to keep it more street friendly.

The Wilwood setup is a rear brake caliper solution that Spidertrax has used countless times. It’s not some behemoth with 6 pistons or anything like you normally see the Wilwood name on.

They don't fit the TJ, but the inner is certainly the stoutest looking C I came across. Here's what they say (I especially like that they stand behind the C with a lifetime warranty!).

dana-44-inner-c-main-image-opt.jpg

A Lighter Weight Stronger Dana 44 Inner C

Using 8620 Chromoly Steel on these Dana 44 Inner Knuckles instead of cast iron allows us to produce a lighter and stronger Inner C. Our 8620 chromoly parts can take abuse day in and day out. 8620 Alloy Chromooly Steel has a much higher carbon content than mild steel. The higher amount of carbon means increased strength. This material is characterized by a hard outer surface, combined with a ductile interior for higher strength. Minimum properties of 8620 (chrome-nickel-moly) alloy steel; Tensile Strength, psi: 97,000 Yield, psi 57,000.

Lifetime Guarantee

You can ride without worry. We offer a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer defect or failure. This means you are guaranteed a product that works the way it was designed to work.

Included:

• 2 (pair) - Crane Axle Dana 44 Inner Knuckles (Inner C's)
Told you they the best. But also try and call solid to see if he has any 44 diffs left. They made some hardcore 44 items too.

For what it’s worth, I like the function of 5.38s and my stock Rubi locker. I will most likely just retube (with max OD and wall) and run some beefier knuckles on my stock axle. The Dana 30 outer elements seem to be the big point of failure on fake Rubi Dana 44s