Anyone running a Ford 9" front and rear?

Why no talk of a hp44 with 50 gears. They are 9” and strong. Cheaper than aftermarket 9 housings.
44s can be built plenty strong, just have to do it the right parts.

I think so, but a fabled 9 should have stronger knuckles and tubes, but don’t know for sure. But for the rear ford 8.8’s??? I know there’s some fab work. I’ve been torn between an L.P and H.P. 9 thinking about this for some time because of all this but until I bust my 44 to an unrepairable state, I don’t care too much
A fab 9 can have any knuckle you would want. It could have a Rockwell size knuckle or a oe dana 30 knuckle.

I’d your gonna build a 30. Go to a “you pull it” and get a hp30 from an xj. Gives you a little extra strength.
That's the plan. U pull it is $125 for just the housing if i can find it. Only 2wds in stock. And I've got to pull it with no acetylene. We are getting off the OP's topic. Picking up the rolling chassis on Thursday. Build thread will start then.

Why not go 44 front and 60 rear with aftermarket 5x5.5 rear hubs. Bullet proof build for 37s or 40s.

Keeping my current 5 on 5.5 Walker Evans wheels is important, as is minimizing weight. The later is partly what made me start looking at the 9". FWIW, I originally began my search with a 44/60 combination in mind and it's likely I'll end there. At this point I'm simply gathering information, so the conversation here is very helpful!

Keeping my current 5 on 5.5 Walker Evans wheels is important, as is minimizing weight. The later is partly what made me start looking at the 9". FWIW, I originally began my search with a 44/60 combination in mind and it's likely I'll end there. At this point I'm simply gathering information, so the conversation here is very helpful!
Ford Dana 44 hub is 5x5.5. Installs on any 44 using the correct spindle. It’s all out there and documented.

Reactions: fixmysix and Irun
Any axle builder can build a semi-float axle shaft to accommodate the bolt pattern of your choice. Dutchman being one of them. Custom made here in the USA, stock material or chromoly in any length that your axle housing requires.

Dont let your bolt pattern steer your axle choice.

Ford Dana 44 hub is 5x5.5. Installs on any 44 using the correct spindle. It’s all out there and documented.

I'm running it now, using Reid knuckles, on my Rubicon front. The big weak link is the outer C.

Yzg8MzB.jpg

rMsak3O.jpg

Any axle builder can build a semi-float axle shaft to accommodate the bolt pattern of your choice. Dutchman being one of them. Custom made here in the USA, stock material or chromoly in any length that your axle housing requires.

Dont let your bolt pattern steer your axle choice.

Agreed! I'm running Dutchman axles up front now.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Why spend the money to get a ford 9 if you have a 44 front as it is?

what is a Dutchman axle?

I’m going to guess to address potential weakness of the Dana 44 without adding weight and size of Dana 60.

When I first started thinking about what I want to build my first thought was HP44/Dana 60 but am now strongly leaning toward 9” front/rear for those and other reasons.

But I’m also starting from scratch. If I had OP‘s setup I might be tempted to run it and see how holds up. On other hand might be better to sell to someone wanting bolt in support for 35s and fund portion of upgrade.

https://dutchmanaxles.com/index.php

What inner c would you go with? A wrangler c is larger than an older 44 c.

The Dynatrac ProRock 44 has a forged and much beefier C. I'm guessing the Currie one is forged as well, but not sure. I also believe Currie's C is Gusseted.

I’m going to guess to address potential weakness of the Dana 44 without adding weight and size of Dana 60.

On other hand might be better to sell to someone wanting bolt in support for 35s and fund portion of upgrade.

First point is spot on!

Second point is what I'm thinking. I'd rather sell the front and rear as a working pair and move on. They've served me extremely well for many years, but now it's time to add some additional strength and peace of mind.

Reactions: Sea Cot