Anyone running a Ford 9" front and rear?

The new F150s and Mustangs use what is called a "Super 8.8". It has a bigger ring and pinion as well as more axle splines and a different housing. I'm curious to see if this becomes a popular aftermarket axle

What is your goal performance envelope?

My main goals are:
- Keep the weight down (This is a big one for me)
- Improve ground clearance
- Stand up to 37" to 38" (Absolute Maximum) tires
- Stand up to a Golen Stroker (Sitting in a crate in the garage)
- Provide reliability, without constant maintenance

I'm not a heavy foot type and am more of a slow calculated crawler. I push the Jeep, but realize it's not a buggy.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
No, I'm on 44s front and rear. What started me down this path is my buddies. I mainly wheel with a group of 1st Generation Broncos. They all run 9" rears and 44 fronts. This was stock of Fords for a while.

Edit: Forgot to mention they all run 37" tires, heavy wheels and V8s. I haven't seen any issues with them, other than broken front U joints.
Have you broken anything yet? The stock 9 inch they run isn't a huge upgrade depending on if they got lucky with an N casting. Just saying that the 9 inch is a rabbit hole. You can get to 40 spline drilled shafts if you want (or think you need) them. On the other hand, if you think their setup is an upgrade there is no reason not to try. Assuming you can weld.

Couldn’t you run a 9 in the rear and a tj 44 in the front with 5.38s?

This is part of my problem now. If I wanted to run 5.13 I could. However, 5.13 wouldn't work with 37s and a 42RLE. The next step up is either 5.29 or 5.43.

My main goals are:
- Keep the weight down (This is a big one for me)
- Improve ground clearance
- Stand up to 37" to 38" (Absolute Maximum) tires
- Stand up to a Golen Stroker (Sitting in a crate in the garage)
- Provide reliability, without constant maintenance

I'm not a heavy foot type and am more of a slow calculated crawler. I push the Jeep, but realize it's not a buggy.
A smart right foot makes things last. You can break any axle with enough skinny pedal in the wrong situation.

Reactions: Wildman
No, I'm on 44s front and rear. What started me down this path is my buddies. I mainly wheel with a group of 1st Generation Broncos. They all run 9" rears and 44 fronts. This was stock of Fords for a while.

Edit: Forgot to mention they all run 37" tires, heavy wheels and V8s. I haven't seen any issues with them, other than broken front U joints.

I would do the opposite hah, run a F9 front and leave my jk44 rear (35 soline) alone. So your buddies are running the 5.13/5.14? Wonder if that is so close they are basically not scrubbing? I'm thinking for like driving 50mph on snow.

Have you broken anything yet? The stock 9 inch they run isn't a huge upgrade depending on if they got lucky with an N casting. Just saying that the 9 inch is a rabbit hole. You can get to 40 spline drilled shafts if you want (or think you need) them. On the other hand, if you think their setup is an upgrade there is no reason not to try. Assuming you can weld.

I'm starting to sense what you said, it's a rabbit hole. In terms of breakage, a few u Joints and a busted ring and pinion. Ever since the R&P issue, I'm much more cautious about going into places I probably could go, but don't. I have confidence in the current 44 setup, but know where the limits are. 60s would be ideal, but I'm going through all the options before making a decision. Based on discussions with Currie and Dynatrak, it also seems like their 44s would work in my case. Decision, decisions!

This is part of my problem now. If I wanted to run 5.13 I could. However, 5.13 wouldn't work with 37s and a 42RLE. The next step up is either 5.29 or 5.43.
I do run 5.13 with 37s. It's actually slightly better than 35 with 5.13 only because I have a lot of local roads at 55 and now third gear lets me drive those at 3k rpm and OD only comes on on the interstate (65mph)

I would do the opposite hah, run a F9 front and leave my jk44 rear (35 soline) alone. So your buddies are running the 5.13/5.14? Wonder if that is so close they are basically not scrubbing? I'm thinking for like driving 50mph on snow.
Or a hp 44. Although it doesn't really matter at this point. Cost will be about the same.

Reactions: Irun
I do run 5.13 with 37s. It's actually slightly better than 35 with 5.13 only because I have a lot of local roads at 55 and now third gear lets me drive those at 3k rpm and OD only comes on on the interstate (65mph)

I'm on 5.13 with 35s and a 42RLE. I wouldn't want to run 37s on that ratio.

JA6vapB.jpg

Yeah there used to be a local forum with some “Gleed Boyz”, Blane I think was his name and he had a flatty buggy he built (pretty nice) and had some problems with the true Hi9, I read some more into the issue since my brother wants some for his early bronco. Still don’t know but still like them
Well, the cool thing about running a Tru Hi9 front with a HP 60 rear is being able to tell your buddies that every time you change the gear oil it takes a case or 12 quarts. That also means you will use more gear oil in the first 1000 miles, 24 quarts, than most Jeep owners use in the life of their rig.

From TruHi9 website “We have 4.11, 4.57, 4.86, 5.14, 5.38 gears in stock.”

You know in case need more to think about

Well, the cool thing about running a Tru Hi9 front with a HP 60 rear is being able to tell your buddies that every time you change the gear oil it takes a case or 12 quarts. That also means you will use more gear oil in the first 1000 miles, 24 quarts, than most Jeep owners use in the life of their rig.
Hold that thought. I'm trying to see how far I can pee. Seriously though, what do you consider an axle with a decent safety margin for taking, say my kids, in to the back country and not wanting to make on trail repairs regularly with a slightly hot 4.0? Against 35's and again against 37's. What's your real world experience?

Hold that thought. I'm trying to see how far I can pee. Seriously though, what do you consider an axle with a decent safety margin for taking, say my kids, in to the back country and not wanting to make on trail repairs regularly with a slightly hot 4.0? Against 35's and again against 37's. What's your real world experience?
I'm not the one to ask since my view of 37's is far more realistic than most based on the experiences of running them, and building a few axles to run them. Give me a good reason to run 37's that isn't based on aesthetics and we'll talk.

Ok, how about 35's and a hot 4.0? Hp Dana 30's aren't as disposable as they used to be. Is it still worth building a 30? Option 2.0 is an old hp or jk 44 built with Chevy/ford outers and locking hubs. I like hubs.

I may be completely wrong here and I hope somebody corrects me if I am but my understanding is that most if not all fabricated 9” high pinions use an 8.8 ring gear. And I have read about the true hi9 that uses an actual 9” ring has problems with the ring gear cracking.
I’m not trying to sway somebody away from running a 9, in fact I would love to run 9’s in my rig just wondering if anyone else has heard about these issues.
Some are 8.8, mainly Currie, IIRC, some are 9inch, and some are 10 inch. I am currently building a 10 inch high pinion 9 from GearWorks and Spidertrax. Waiting on Spidertrax housings to come off backorder status. https://bomberfab.com/collections/d...-drop-out-5-43-billet-35-spline-billet-locker

The GearWorks cases can be built with 3.2 cases, 3.8 inch cases, or a huge 4 inch case.(think trophy truck) The 3.2, 3.8, and 4 inch cases utilize load bolts to fight ring gear deflection. This solves a lot of issues that you eluded to. I still haven't decided if I will go 35 spline or 40 spline

On another note, Currie 60’s are built with load bolts as well.

My personal Gearworks HP 10 inch third member. It is massive. I will unbox the rest of the parts next month and start putting it all together.
AB01CB81-9D84-4BAD-B1C2-0B03B11343BB.jpeg
89969C52-BBDF-48C2-A4A3-E120FBD7C2A9.jpeg

Most of the Ultra4 rock racing rigs are running GearWorks stuff with Spidertrax housings. Lovell from KOH:
CAA0752D-B568-4595-BF52-9290AAE1BDA5.jpeg

Currie builds some really nice stuff too. Although I am not sure they support HP 9 inch stuff anymore, although I could be wrong, as I am pretty much sold on the Gearworks thirds and gears.

The 9 inch/fabricated 9 inch is popular bc of the mass amount of gear choices, its easy to swap out thirds, it uses a pinion support with an extra bearing and has been proven in drag racing for years and years. The 10 inch gears are very close if not stronger than a 60 9.7 inch gear. The tooth contact is another strong point. They can be run with up to 40 spline axles and everything in between. Lightweight as well. Some of the housing offerings from SpiderTrax use heat treated chromoly 4340 axle tubes for incredible strength gains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mumblewood