Anyone running a Jana44 kit?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
With all the talk of ring and pinions lately, this got me wondering... is anyone running a Jana 44 kit?

http://www.jantz4x4.com/jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4

It seems like a no brainer, something we should all be running. From what I understand, with just a little grinding, you're able to run JK Dana 44 ring and pinions, which are obviously much stronger.

Sounds good in theory but until I start seeing busted R&P Dana 44 gears start becoming an issue, I personally would not bother. I've yet to see a busted Dana 44 R&P over 22 years of wheeling TJs. The standard Dana 44 gears, 5.38 included, hold up fine to being locked with 35" tires on trails tougher than I'd even dream of attempting.

Has anyone ever broken a Dana 44 R&P? No doubt someone somewhere has but I personally have not read or heard a first-hand report of it happening..:)

Reactions: Chris
Sounds good in theory but until I start seeing busted R&P Dana 44 gears start becoming an issue, I personally would not bother. I've yet to see a busted Dana 44 R&P over 22 years of wheeling TJs. The standard Dana 44 gears, 5.38 included, hold up fine to being locked with 35" tires on trails tougher than I'd even dream of attempting.

Has anyone ever broken a Dana 44 R&P? No doubt someone somewhere has but I personally have not read or heard a first-hand report of it happening..:)
Seen it :D The 44 @JMT just bought has a fractured pinion. It happens. Have seen busted 60's, 70's and 14 bolts. Anything can break given enough "fun." :D

Here's mrblaine's opinion on the Jana44 kit.

"I have one. I won’t ever have another. They suck due to their being so difficult to install and there isn’t really a “kit” to do it. Now that we have the lower gears for the normal carrier, there is no reason to own one. If you start breaking the 44 gears, you clearly have the wrong axle. My gear guy told me to never bring him another one and he was sad that he could only charge me double to put it in.

Blaine"

You're right... I've never heard of it in all the people talked to. I'm sure it's happened, but it's not common by any means.

I imagine you have to really be romping on it hard too.

Interesting. But 390 bucks seems a bit high for a yoke, shims, and pinion bearings.

I thought the same thing... seems like a lot of money when you're really having to do most of the work yourself (or you gear guy is).

I broke 2 teeth off the ring gear of a Yukon 4.88 Dana 44 gear set.
First for everything.

Here’s a pic of the Dana 44 pinion on mine.
10B738C3-9984-46DD-847A-CDA96DBAFEBB.jpeg

Of course, this is sitting in the bedroom, so I’m not too worried. I won’t be running 40’s. :D
2D16CB7C-6F47-4652-BD35-66BF5F68518B.jpeg

How did that happen? Or do you know?
I don’t know. The backstory is I bought the Dana 44 from a guy. When I was checking it out I pulled the shafts and looked at the ring gear. It looked good. When I got home I pulled the carrier and found the pinion badly damaged. The guy was running it on this rig, but he didn’t wheel it, so I guess 40’s are too much for a Dana 44 no matter what.
8C3AC366-98B0-4D21-A402-927F457F18F9.jpeg

The good news is that the guy felt bad and offered to regear my rig for me. So, regear for free, heck ya!

I don’t know. The backstory is I bought the Dana 44 from a guy. When I was checking it out I pulled the shafts and looked at the ring gear. It looked good. When I got home I pulled the carrier and found the pinion badly damaged. The guy was running it on this rig, but he didn’t wheel it, so I guess 40’s are too much for a Dana 44 no matter what.
View attachment 51021
The good news is that the guy felt bad and offered to regear my rig for me. So, regear for free, heck ya!

Wow... that's damn nice of him!

And yeah, I think we can all agree that 40s are way too big for TJ Dana 44 axles!

Reactions: JMT
Wow... that's damn nice of him!

And yeah, I think we can all agree that 40s are way too big for TJ Dana 44 axles!
I agree. What he upgraded to was a front and rear TJ Rubicon 44’s. I asked him why he didn’t just go to at least a rear 60. I don’t know. He got a great deal on the TJR 44’s, probably less than I paid for my 44 from him. He’s always getting good parts. He’s sort of supplying me with parts now. Anything I need I text him and he’s either got it or finds it.

I agree. What he upgraded to was a front and rear TJ Rubicon 44’s. I asked him why he didn’t just go to at least a rear 60. I don’t know. He got a great deal on the TJR 44’s, probably less than I paid for my 44 from him. He’s always getting good parts. He’s sort of supplying me with parts now. Anything I need I text him and he’s either got it or finds it.

I don’t think he will have much luck running 40s on TJ Dana 44 axles, even if they are built. At that point you’d want some full width Dana 60s or bigger. But hey, maybe he will prove me wrong!