Anyone Try Fender Flare Spacers?

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I took my fender flares off the do some maintenance on my Jeep, and noticed a lot of dirt and grit between the flares and the fenders. I was thinking about using 1/8" nylon washers to space the flares out a little, so I can wash/flush out future dirt.

Anybody ever try this? Crazy idea?

I took my fender flares off the do some maintenance on my Jeep, and noticed a lot of dirt and grit between the flares and the fenders. I was thinking about using 1/8" nylon washers to space the flares out a little, so I can wash/flush out future dirt.

Anybody ever try this? Crazy idea?
Not too crazy, but bigger gap means bigger stuff gets stuck. Sand, gravel, leaves, sticks.

Reactions: AndyG
Non Forum approved mod suggestion : - 5 points

This post made possible with Modtracker app and supporting software.

Points can be regained with an offsetting positive suggestion like: if you raise your butt off the seat and fart you won’t get big brown streaks in your drawers. A big donut would work.

Points can be regained with an offsetting positive suggestion like: if you raise your butt off the seat and fart you won’t get big brown streaks in your drawers. A big donut would work.

Something will fill the gap.

Reactions: AndyG
This is very similar to what I've seen done, and did myself, where the skid plate mounts to the frame.

I never heard anyone mention mention anything about sticks and stones, and pieces of bones(?) getting stuck in there. I guess I better check. ;)

As for the fender flares, I put a coat of fluid film on the body and each flare before putting them back on, then wiped off whatever squeezed out on the outside. I figured that would stop the salt and stuff from getting in there to cause rust. One of these days I'll loosen one up and see how good (or bad) it worked.

Reactions: KCsTJ

I never heard anyone mention mention anything about sticks and stones, and pieces of bones(?) getting stuck in there. I guess I better check. ;)

The bigger the gap, the less likely a larger heavier object will get kicked up and stuck in there. A 1" flare extension should work fine in that regard. ;)

On a previous Jeep that I installed wider flares on, the gap opened a bit more and stones would get lodged in the gap. I removed them, cleaned everything up, and then actually closed the gap with RTV. I spent quite a bit of time on it, cleaning off all but the essential parts to close the gap, so that it didn't end up looking like a caulked seal around a bathtub. When it was done it looked great, and no more stones and dirt!

Reactions: KCsTJ
The bigger the gap, the less likely a larger heavier object will get kicked up and stuck in there. A 1" flare extension should work fine in that regard. ;)
No the 1 inchers won't work cuz then 1 1/8" rocks and debris may get stuck.
You need to go up to 2" flare spacers. I can custom make u some flare spacers if need be. 😃

Reactions: jjvw