Anyone use these Rough Country bolt-on D-rings?

Stuff that's meant to pull equipment way bigger and heavier than anything most people would encounter operating a vehicle.
There is a significant difference in moving large equipment around that isn't stuck versus trying to extract a stuck rig.

True. Which is why everything should be run down in detail by reading the specifications. That way the weakest link in what you do is strong enough to handle the intended purpose. Chain only as strong as the weakest link sort of thing.

I'd skip something like this RC system where you don't know enough about the load ratings in each direction and go with stuff that you can read specifications and add on safety factors. The ring and pins in some of these Amazon specials might fail first for all we know.

Even the bolts holding down a good winch you get off craigslist may be a weak point that needs to be addressed if you have high capacity winch held on by cheap Walmart grade hardware.

The other thing I learned by doing pipe support design for a while is that over reinforcing specific areas can lead to problems too. Forces and moments like to concentrate to the most rigid point and can cause failure there. So at times a little flexibility is better than rigidity in distributing a load.

A clevis and pin can create a moment at the connection with a moment arm limited by the length of the D ring and angle of the pulling force. A strap and hook won't have as many moments because it's a less rigid connection. It's limited to the pulling forces and misc. torque from roughly strap centerline at the hook to the frame connection.

Last edited:
I don't have a preference. If I were to pick one, the nod would go towards a shackle but the vast majority of shackle mounts are made incorrectly so that defeats any advantage. Hooks are more than fine and we have never had a single hook related issue.

I’m probably opening a can of worms with this question, but other than a weak attachment how can a shackle mound be designed incorrectly? I’m still learning...

I’m probably opening a can of worms with this question, but other than a weak attachment how can a shackle mound be designed incorrectly? I’m still learning...
Proper shackle mounts should have a hole large enough to allow the shackle to follow the line of pull and not be turned into a lever that increases the leverage against the shackle tab.

Pulled from the internet just now. The important part is the reduction in WLL as the angle increases.

large-temp5c193510999a5.jpg

Reactions: DWR
One advantage to a soft shackle is that it is unable to bind against the shackle tab so the strength reduction from a side load should be far less dramatic compared to a traditional steel shackle.

Slightly related.
Anyone know where I can get stainless steel (not chrome) tow hook clips. JC Whitney used to sell them years ago. The last set I purchased were painted black and rusted quickly.
clip.jpg

Can anybody explain to me why most bumper manufactures weld/mount their bumper D-ring tabs in the vertical position versus the horizontal? From my experience, almost all recovery positions entail some level of side pull which the vertical orientation would not favor. When I build my bumper I mounted them horizontally and also slotted the hole so that any vertical load would tilt the shackle and not lever so much on the lug.

Can anybody explain to me why most bumper manufactures weld/mount their bumper D-ring tabs in the vertical position versus the horizontal? From my experience, almost all recovery positions entail some level of side pull which the vertical orientation would not favor. When I build my bumper I mounted them horizontally and also slotted the hole so that any vertical load would tilt the shackle and not lever so much on the lug.

I *think* it has to do with being able to use if for flat towing purposes also.... but I’m kinda just guessing.

Shackles as bumper jewelry look funny sitting sideways.

• Haha
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and DWR
Just so the shackle will be in its natural hanging down position, there's no benefit to vertical or horizontal. A common winching direction is from above to someone below you and I have far more of those types of assists and recoveries than I do pulling from the side.