Anyone used SafeTCaps for Jeep frame rust repair?

02FlameRed

Hello all. I have a pretty rust free Jeep with the exception of the Driver side rear frame where the trailing arm mounts. Any one ever use one of these Weld on Safe -T Caps? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything specific on this type of Frame repair

safe t cap.JPG

Plenty of people have used the Safe-T Caps. If they are installed properly, they work great. The key with anything like this is the prep work. You want to get rid of ALL of the rust around the area you will be installing it into.

I used Safe T cap on my frame. Center sections on both sides. Good Prep and welding is important. I drive my jeep semi-daily, weather permitting and wheel the hell out of it. It’s solid.

I've talked to many qualified shops about frames over the past couple of months in preparation for my frame swap (including Rubitrux today when I stopped in to check out some brutes). Here is my understanding of Safetcaps versus a frame swap. A frame swap is really the right way to fix frame rust, but safetcaps will work. If you're just trying to get 2 more years out of a Jeep before selling or scrapping it, safetcaps make perfect sense (their primary use is extending the life of a vehicle for a few years). But if you're trying to keep the Jeep forever, spending the money on a frame swap makes more sense. A safetcap is not an end all be all solution but rather a fairly long term bandaid. Whether or not safetcaps are right for you really depends on your long term plan for the Jeep.

Reactions: 02FlameRed
I use it on a project before. As state above, Prep and Welding is the key.
The driver side rear is quite elaborated to work on. Fuel, Fuel return and brake lines runs true and they are hold on the frame side. My suggestion it is to make room removing all you can out the way and if possible separate the body from the frame on that side. Depending on how high the rust it is, you may can cut a piece and lower the weld point on the inner side.
It is not that easy to prep and weld but like everything, if you took your time it will yield excellent results.

BTW
It is few other companies that sold the same product on Ebay. I have work with them as well, same quality parts and constructions.

Reactions: 02FlameRed
I've talked to many qualified shops about frames over the past couple of months in preparation for my frame swap (including Rubitrux today when I stopped in to check out some brutes). Here is my understanding of Safetcaps versus a frame swap. A frame swap is really the right way to fix frame rust, but safetcaps will work. If you're just trying to get 2 more years out of a Jeep before selling or scrapping it, safetcaps make perfect sense (their primary use is extending the life of a vehicle for a few years). But if you're trying to keep the Jeep forever, spending the money on a frame swap makes more sense. A safetcap is not an end all be all solution but rather a fairly long term bandaid. Whether or not safetcaps are right for you really depends on your long term plan for the Jeep.
Only 2 years? Seems like it would last longer than that

I’ve had mine for 2 yrs. Heck, one side even longer. There’s no sign of any degradation or issues. Our feelings were we’d get about 7 years out of it.

But yes, if time to find a good frame swap candidate, money to actually buy it, space and knowledge to do a swap weren’t an issue, frame swaps are pretty cool. But not everyone is equipped to do that.

Only 2 years? Seems like it would last longer than that

I'm sure they would last for more than two years if done completely correctly. But usually Jeeps that require safetcaps have other issues that lead to them not having much life left (they're mostly high mileage with rust in more places than the frame). Most of the shops I have talked to flat out won't install them. I will say that the shops I've talked to are usually high-end Jeep shops, not your local mechanic. I'm sure local mechanics would do it, but most Jeep specific off-road shops I've talked to won't touch them. If you're attached to this Jeep in anyway, I would advise against using safetcaps.

Here is a story I heard from a shop that used to use weld in safetcaps:
A customer came in around 2013 with a one owner Jeep that he had had since 1997. Frame was absolutely gone but the guy wanted to keep the Jeep because he was attached to it and the body wasn't rusted out. The shop welded in some repair sections but the Jeep would never drive straight again. It just didn't feel right. The customer was so unhappy that he ended up selling the Jeep and blamed the shop for all his troubles (leaving bad reviews, telling people not to go there, etc...). That was the last time that specific shop ever used weld in pieces.

That clearly could have been installation error, but there is an inherent risk of never having a straight driving Jeep after weld in pieces are installed. This shop had done plenty safetcap installs before and found mixed results. This story finally pushed them over the edge and they stopped installed them.

I'm sure they would last for more than two years if done completely correctly. But usually Jeeps that require safetcaps have other issues that lead to them not having much life left (they're mostly high mileage with rust in more places than the frame). Most of the shops I have talked to flat out won't install them. I will say that the shops I've talked to are usually high-end Jeep shops, not your local mechanic. I'm sure local mechanics would do it, but most Jeep specific off-road shops I've talked to won't touch them. If you're attached to this Jeep in anyway, I would advise against using safetcaps.

Here is a story I heard from a shop that used to use weld in safetcaps:
A customer came in around 2013 with a one owner Jeep that he had had since 1997. Frame was absolutely gone but the guy wanted to keep the Jeep because he was attached to it and the body wasn't rusted out. The shop welded in some repair sections but the Jeep would never drive straight again. It just didn't feel right. The customer was so unhappy that he ended up selling the Jeep and blamed the shop for all his troubles (leaving bad reviews, telling people not to go there, etc...). That was the last time that specific shop ever used weld in pieces.

That clearly could have been installation error, but there is an inherent risk of never having a straight driving Jeep after weld in pieces are installed.

Around these parts, it’s the exact opposite. The jeep specific and Offroad shops are the only ones to trust with these types of jobs...regular mechanic shops won’t touch them. Weird.

Around these parts, it’s the exact opposite. The jeep specific and Offroad shops are the only ones to trust with these types of jobs...regular mechanic shops won’t touch them. Weird.

When I was in Jersey / PA, it was as you described. Jeep shops around there seem to be willing to do weld in pieces. But here in Chicago, the few I've talked to said they won't touch them. Not really sure what that is about. I'll admit I'm personally biased against safetcaps because cutting and welding on a frame really freaks me out. On top of that I've heard extremely mixed reviews ranging from "It felt factory" to "It was undriveable".

I'm looking at a frame tomorrow for my Jeep here in TN. Hopefully I can solve my frame rust issues with that frame! If you can do the labor yourself, it really isn't all that expensive. Good frames go on craigslist for not much over $1000 sometimes.

Reactions: Stevemack
When I was in Jersey / PA, it was as you described. Jeep shops around there seem to be willing to do weld in pieces. But here in Chicago, the few I've talked to said they won't touch them. Not really sure what that is about. I'll admit I'm personally biased against safetcaps because cutting and welding on a frame really freaks me out. On top of that I've heard extremely mixed reviews ranging from "It felt factory" to "It was undriveable".

I'm looking at a frame tomorrow for my Jeep here in TN. Hopefully I can solve my frame rust issues with that frame! If you can do the labor yourself, it really isn't all that expensive. Good frames go on craigslist for not much over $1000 sometimes.
I totally agree on the “ if you can do it yourself” part....the casual jeep fan won’t tackle a frame swap.
I’m around a jeep specific fab shop a couple times a week. While the job is no fun for the fella doing it, it’s a common occurrence here in the NE. We’ve never heard of one being undriveable afterwards though. Leads me to believe it was done by a hack or the jeep possibly had frame/accident issues prior to the safe t cap.

I totally agree on the “ if you can do it yourself” part....the casual jeep fan won’t tackle a frame swap.
I’m around a jeep specific fab shop a couple times a week. While the job is no fun for the fella doing it, it’s a common occurrence here in the NE. We’ve never heard of one being undriveable afterwards though. Leads me to believe it was done by a hack or the jeep possibly had frame/accident issues prior to the safe t cap.

Yeah the biggest cost is definitely the labor. My bill from the shop I'm taking it to for the swap is probably going to be more than twice what the Jeep is worth (but it has sentimental value to me so I can stomach that). I'm getting a ton of other work done at the same time as well. Frame swaps make next to no financial sense if you get a shop to do it unless you somehow have a 30,000 mile LJ Rubicon with a rusted out frame....

I applaud your tenacity in the search for a frame. I just read your frame wanted post in WTB.

I honestly can’t wait until I can retire(anytime after Dec 2018) and head down to the southwest....

The awesome public wheeling, the moderate climate and RUST free vehicles await me!!!

Reactions: Adms01TJ
Hello, my first post in the forum. Last summer we discovered (when the skid plate almost ripped out of the frame at Dirty Turtle, KY) MASSIVE rust damage on my wife's TJ. After some research we went with Auto Rust Technicians full frame rail kit, both sides. After many hours, cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, and cheap Harbor Freight flux core welder (converted to DC output) it has been solid thru many many off-road and highway trips. Very happy with the results; prep is key! DROP THE TANK. Cut out the bad, clean up what's left, and weld. Lots of work but had it all done in 3 days.

FD8DCF14-F0FA-4472-9ADF-EA0FEE74432F.jpeg

392B9F24-209F-4FFE-A106-04AEEFAE8AB9.jpeg

521E17DC-58B0-4B91-AA9C-6FE7C1560D8B.jpeg

6D3048C4-730E-430D-B13B-047E5C4EC63A.jpeg

219275B7-032B-4BAC-9477-20A4A809EE40.jpeg

41EA9192-A013-4E4D-B4BA-6EBF034C4DAA.jpeg

6353D65F-31CF-4529-AA25-299AEC87D757.jpeg

6E6FFEE2-5A43-43E4-A8AE-1F3828A7FEC8.jpeg

A587BC17-9A73-46A6-A851-796F0BB404FF.jpeg

04FBD73F-6085-4161-82F1-55966285E00C.jpeg

76D3435E-9E68-4A15-B090-868040EC5B55.jpeg

72B8CE68-504F-4731-BD0C-CB8AA7C73E26.jpeg

7EFD2F93-6593-46FF-87F5-16FB9459277F.jpeg

E9D5C126-B96C-4C5E-85FA-2A9BEB1555C9.jpeg

084C4B39-42DC-4F80-9455-ECFC2C710793.jpeg

A7E92449-36E9-45C0-A748-DF3212BC87E0.jpeg

6B22C4D1-5BBB-4848-ADC2-3E1A4DC8050D.jpeg

D8AEE58C-2760-4D5D-8702-47AF0198A224.jpeg

99EBC7D0-13E0-4EC8-8D7D-E1EE5CF133C2.jpeg

Hello, my first post in the forum. Last summer we discovered (when the skid plate almost ripped out of the frame at Dirty Turtle, KY) MASSIVE rust damage on my wife's TJ. After some research we went with Auto Rust Technicians full frame rail kit, both sides. After many hours, cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, and cheap Harbor Freight flux core welder (converted to DC output) it has been solid thru many many off-road and highway trips. Very happy with the results; prep is key! DROP THE TANK. Cut out the bad, clean up what's left, and weld. Lots of work but had it all done in 3 days.

You can see the rails come with new rear control arm mounts as well as inner and outer tie plates for the front control arm mounts. Very impressive!
A lift would have been FAR easier than jack stands but it worked, you just have to anchor the rear diff with a couple of straps before removing the control arms to make sure the diff doesn't kick out. FYI, I'm not a welder, I'm an HVAC guy that can stick metal together well enough to last so it's not art work but it has held up fine.

Local jeep shops around here do these all the time, never heard of any bad results. A friend of mine put em on his 1ton long arm build and has been wheeling it without issues for about 6 or 7 years now.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Markymech
check out pocono metal fab in my opinion there pieces are every bit as good as safety cap and ALOT LESS EXPENSIVE got both rear side pieces for about half what saftycap wanted it is 10 gauge if i recall correctly also got the center sections as well ( winter project while layed off)

Reactions: Markymech
Before I did mine I checked with the local garage to see if it would pass a safety after all that work.He said they have seen lots of frames over the years and when done right,no problem.Not just jeeps . I did mine with my own safety caps I made and seems to be driving straight and no problems so far.As long as the metal you are welding to is fine there should be no problem.I still think it is so funny that some people have a good frame and won't drill even the smallest holes for drainage,instead just let them keep plugging up with crap.At least cutting open and using safety caps you start with new metal so they should take a long time to rust out again.