Anyone used the tonneau cover bimini and wind breaker combo?

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Tossing up ideas before I buy a trektop, I have the old original sunrider softtop that will possibly never go back on (Too fiddly for me) and I have a factory hardtop.
Living in the city area I dont have space to store my hardtop so I will have to store it on a friends property so I think once it comes off and trektop goes on I cant see myself ever swapping back. I wont sell the hardtop as it came with the TJ from the factory.
Just exploring ideas and was looking at the Tonneau Cover combo, any experience or pics would be greatly appreciated. The weather seems to have changed in Perth last 2 years , more tropical and not so dry, first day of march see an all time record for rain, march is usually very dry.
I dont have a garage so its out in the weather 100% of the time.

Cheers

I have a Trektop. I also have a tonneau cover and windjammer. I am currently running the full Trektop but in the next week or so I will remove the 3 windows and leave the top which is basically then a safari. I'll put on the tonneau and windjammer and thats how it will stay until around November. By doing this I can just fold down the windjammer and have open air.

Reactions: Fishtaco
I have a Trektop. I also have a tonneau cover and windjammer. I am currently running the full Trektop but in the next week or so I will remove the 3 windows and leave the top which is basically then a safari. I'll put on the tonneau and windjammer and thats how it will stay until around November. By doing this I can just fold down the windjammer and have open air.
So best to have the Trektop and Tonneau Cover with windjammer.
Does it leak much? Rain here seems to be always heavy and driving we dont get constant light rain or drizzle more on off heavy downpours .

The only 2 places that are a concern for water getting in is just over the outside shoulder of the driver and passenger. Its open all the time due to the windjammer style that I have. I may be able to get it changed out in the morning. If I do I'll take several pics so you can see what I'm talking about and how its setup.

Screenshot_20200217-210010_Samsung Internet.jpg

I believe this is @tworley in this pic. It is the same windjammer and tonneau setup that I use. I just have my Trektop top on. You can see the gap between the windjammer and door surround. That would be your biggest concern for rain in my experience.

Yep that's me!

You can see the corner of the door surround where water can get in. I keep a cover with me in the summer months and throw it on when there's a chance of rain and I am parked at work.

Yep that's me!

You can see the corner of the door surround where water can get in. I keep a cover with me in the summer months and throw it on when there's a chance of rain and I am parked at work.
I have a trail cover already but have not used it yet as hardtop is still on.

Reactions: tworley
Yep that's me!

What brand is the tonneau cover? Its a bit confusing, Bestop and Crown covers have a rear bulge for the rolled back soft top cage so have a loose bit at the back if you dont have your cage on.

Also tailgate bars, I have my original off my soft top which brands use the original and which ones do you have to buy custom bar?
Smittybuilt doesnt get great reviews and Rampage gets fairly good reviews.

Yep that's me!

I ran my 2000 TJ like that for years. I really like the look. Things changed when I had kids though, I needed the back seat again.

Reactions: tworley
What brand is the tonneau cover? Its a bit confusing, Bestop and Crown covers have a rear bulge for the rolled back soft top cage so have a loose bit at the back if you dont have your cage on.

Also tailgate bars, I have my original off my soft top which brands use the original and which ones do you have to buy custom bar?
Smittybuilt doesnt get great reviews and Rampage gets fairly good reviews.
Bestop. I have the OE tailgate bar for it too that is used on the soft top.

Early on I ran the Bestop windjammer/tonneau/safari combo. It kept most of the rain out as long as you were rolling. Come to a stop and your shoulder and back of your neck gets a bath. A wrap around windjammer might solve that problem, maybe.
I currently run the windjammer/tonneau with a spidy shade in the summer months as we get no rain from June thru October. I too, keep the factory hard top and run it in the winter. I also have a factory soft top I can run if I wheel in the Sierras, or head to the coast. Weather in those parts are unpredictable.

Bestop. I have the OE tailgate bar for it too that is used on the soft top.
Thanks, is that the Bestop trektop with the widows out?
Also does the Bestop tonneau cover have a bulge at the back to fit over the original folded soft top? I may have read a quadratec answer to this question wrong when they said it did.

Cheers

Early on I ran the Bestop windjammer/tonneau/safari combo. It kept most of the rain out as long as you were rolling. Come to a stop and your shoulder and back of your neck gets a bath. A wrap around windjammer might solve that problem, maybe.
I currently run the windjammer/tonneau with a spidy shade in the summer months as we get no rain from June thru October. I too, keep the factory hard top and run it in the winter. I also have a factory soft top I can run if I wheel in the Sierras, or head to the coast. Weather in those parts are unpredictable.
We dont normally get much if any rain from end of November until June! this year is odd in more than one way. We only have 2 seasons in Perth summer and winter and every time I decide to take my hardtop of it pours with summer rain lol, I will have to get my new soft top setup ready before I remove the hardtop now! I was going to run a few months without anything other than my Alien shade but looks as if thats not going to happen.

Thanks, is that the Bestop trektop with the widows out?
Also does the Bestop tonneau cover have a bulge at the back to fit over the original folded soft top? I may have read a quadratec answer to this question wrong when they said it did.

Cheers
I believe mine is the replace-a-top. I have a bar for that, and picked up a second tailgate bar for the tonneau. They are identical. No bulge, my tonneau is flat

Capture.JPG

Getting confused with Bestop! you can buy new tops and duster combo,s for "With soft top" or "with hard top" the hardtop versions are more expensive, I have both tops from factory so is the extra $ for the tailgate bar and L/R clip channels that hardtop only models didnt have? doesnt say anywhere I can find?
Important to me as I will pay more on overseas shipping usually than some products cost. :)

Last edited:
Does the "with hard top" version come with the frame for the soft top as the reason for a higher price?

👍 my bad, I misread your post. I have no clue what the difference would be.
Must be for the two channel pieces and the soft top tailgate bar?
I have been looking at all brands and with some you need a new type of tailgate bar others a new type of header bar and different door surrounds so the cheaper versions can end up almost as much as Bestop stuff, its frying my brain lol