Apple Watch banned from sale in US

My sister and her husband, both iphone users, bought Garmin's and I think in less than a year they switched to apple watches.

I got my daughter the cellular apple watch so that I could locate her if needed and so that she can call or text if there's a problem. There are quite a few benefits to them.

I'm not an iPhone user so the Garmin is perfect for what I want/need. My wife uses a Samsung Galaxy watch which she likes, but we're both pretty basic in our technology uses.

Reactions: Apparition
I'll admit I'm all Apple (iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Apple Watch, Apple CarPlay). I never even wore a normal watch but got an Apple watch a few years ago and now I don't know what I would do without it lol. Especially since I've started hitting the gym again over the last year.

I'm sure Google is a great company for all you Apple haters...

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I got an older model that I wear pretty much everyday initially for the sole purpose of it reminding me to put my ear plugs in. tinnitus ain't ever going away and the watch buzzes when decibels reach a level that could do damage. I get a little bit of shit for wearing two watches but idgaf, one is a watch and one is a tool.

now my son has a cellular version so we can keep track of each other when we are out and about. we go to one of the 4 local amusement parks every weekend so it's nice piece of mind to know where he's at when I need a beer break. the walkie-talkie function is pretty useful if we need to get a quick message over to each other too.

never owned a smartwatch and probably never will ! Hell, I never even wear a regular watch.

I think someone at Apple thought "How can I invent something MORE useless and money sucking than a smartphone?"

I quit wearing watches decades ago - I dislike tight things on my wrists to the point of where I seldom even wear bracelets, and when I do they're usually big, loose bangles.

I think someone at Apple thought "How can I invent something MORE useless and money sucking than a smartphone?"

I quit wearing watches decades ago - I dislike tight things on my wrists to the point of where I seldom even wear bracelets, and when I do they're usually big, loose bangles.

smart phones, smartwatches are doing nothing but making us dumber ! If your phone dies you don't even know who to call except 911 is the only number you know other than your own :eek: 😞 ! In an emergency if asked who to call it's Sally or Ralph, WHATS THEIR NUMBER 🙄:unsure: 🙄🙄:unsure: "IT'S IN MY PHONE" 😞 But you phone is locked up tighter than a extra small jimmy sock on a extra large pecker ! your about to die, who can call 🙄:unsure:😞 it's sad !!!!

Reactions: Zorba
smart phones, smartwatches are doing nothing but making us dumber ! If your phone dies you don't even know who to call except 911 is the only number you know other than your own :eek: 😞 ! In an emergency if asked who to call it's Sally or Ralph, WHATS THEIR NUMBER 🙄:unsure: 🙄🙄:unsure: "IT'S IN MY PHONE" 😞 But you phone is locked up tighter than a extra small jimmy sock on a extra large pecker ! your about to die, who can call 🙄:unsure:😞 it's sad !!!!

You not knowing phone numbers isn't the phones fault. I have the numbers I'd need to call memorized.

But you do realize phones have emergency contacts and medical information which the emergency personnel can access, assuming you set that up.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/first-responders-can-help-you-even-when-your-phone-is-locked/

I'm probably down to 4 numbers left that I have memorized:

1. My number
2. Wife's number
3. Dad's number
4. Some girl I was infatuated with in high school. I somehow memorized her number instantly.

The 4th one still bugs the shit out me and would like to forget it.

I know all the phone numbers we had as a kid, which is useless. Fortunately my parents and brother all still have the same cell numbers they had when we got our first cell phones back in the late 90s and early 00s, so those are memorized, as is my wifes.

Reactions: suicideking
I'm anti Apple. Have never liked their products or their 'we did it first' (when they didn't) attitude. I work in IT and disagree with a lot of their usual lockdown policies. Plus all of their products are overpriced.

One of my sisters is pro apple. She told my dad he should replace his PC with a MAC. Since I do all his free tech support, luckily he ran this by me. I told him, sure go ahead. Then you can call her with all of your tech issues. So squashed that immediately. :cool:

I got my start in IT doing dial up tech support in the late 90's. At one point when I was in level 2 support, I was bored and asked for more phone queues to be added. My supervisor said I already had them all, but she could add Apple support. So I started with some level 1 Apple support calls and was doing level 2 calls in a couple weeks. I enjoyed fooling the customers, making them think I was a 'MAC Guru'. One time early on, I called the apple menu the start menu (Windows term) and got busted by a customer. He wanted to make sure I was an apple purist at that point. Wanted to know what MAC I had, got very passive aggressive. I lied and told him I had a G4 (nicest Mac at the time). So was able to fool him, or at least get the call back on track.

Didn't think I wanted a smart watch. Though my wife bought me an android watch (Fossil) for Christmas 2 years ago, and I wear it every day. I'd buy another if it broke.

Pretty much agree with most of this, although I'll add that Apple products aren't really overpriced when you do an apples to apples (no pun) comparison. A $400 PC at Best Buy is a $400 Pile of Crap. A $1,500 Apple is more or less equivalent to a $1,500 PC - Apple doesn't sell consumer grade garbage.

I may have related this before. I've been using Macs since just after Y2K as their OS X was a version of Unix that I didn't have to support myself like I did with the Red Hat Linux I was running before. However, Apple would release a new version of their OS every year, whether or not it was needed. All it did was break things, decontent features and remove things I was using, and eventually even started making things harder to see thanx to nonsensical color schemes like pale grey on glaring white. Otherwise, I never really saw much difference between the first OS X I ever used "Jaguar" and the one I'm using now "Sierra". Its a GUI over Unix.

In 2011, My Mac was dying and I was tired of Apple's bugs and having the rug yanked out from under me. Windows 7 was fast, easy to use, you could configure whatever colors you wanted (which has NEVER been possible with Apple, its glaring white and you'll like it!), and it was pretty darn stable, unlike the buggy and unstable XP. I was just about to switch to Windows when M$ announced Windows 8. I bought a new Mac the next day - the one I'm using now.

Fast forward to now. Apple has continued down the de-contenting road, which is why I'm using a now old version of the OS as any further upgrading would break software that I use every day - one of those being iPhoto, which Apple dropped like a hot potato for the decontented "Photos" that removed features I use, and added an incomprehensible organization scheme that nobody asked for. By their own admission, "Photos" was created for the snapcat crowd - to hell with anyone vaguely serious about their photography - ask any "Aperture" user, an excellent pro-photog program that Apple yanked the rug out from under its users. I liked iMovie until I got tired of Apple's bugs, etc, etc. I'm done.

Over on the Windows side, Balmer's touch religion of Win 8 was a dismal failure, but an increasingly smartphone-like crippled and decontented experience is the order of the day - complete with spyware and forced on-line logins which are nothing but a spyware vector and a HUGE security hole. Log in with a PIN - really Microsoft? This isn't a fucking smartphone and I don't want it to be treated that way.

So as a result, I'm moving back to Linux "next time" - I've already replaced most of my software with open source equivalents - "shotcut" is as good or better than iMovie ever was, and it doesn't crash all the time or exhibit other buggy behavior. When I worked IT, my answer to "Apple or Microsoft" always was "I have an agreement with both of them: they both keep doing stupid shit, and I keep cussing at both of them."

There's a LOT more to this story, but I won't bore everyone even more than I already have!

There's a LOT more to this story, but I won't bore everyone even more than I already have!

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

Also in IT. Best thing I did was get my wife, aging parents and in-laws to switch to a Mac. The number of family support calls has dropped to 2-3 a year. I had an Apple Watch but switched back to a mechanical, I didn’t need one more thing dinging at me.

Also in IT. Best thing I did was get my wife, aging parents and in-laws to switch to a Mac. The number of family support calls has dropped to 2-3 a year. I had an Apple Watch but switched back to a mechanical, I didn’t need one more thing dinging at me.

Apple is fine, until it isn't. Don't let them get too deep into the ecosystem as Apple *WILL* pull the rug out from under them sooner or later. How painful that is depends on the person and how much they've invested in time and money.

Pretty much agree with most of this, although I'll add that Apple products aren't really overpriced when you do an apples to apples (no pun) comparison. A $400 PC at Best Buy is a $400 Pile of Crap. A $1,500 Apple is more or less equivalent to a $1,500 PC - Apple doesn't sell consumer grade garbage.

I may have related this before. I've been using Macs since just after Y2K as their OS X was a version of Unix that I didn't have to support myself like I did with the Red Hat Linux I was running before. However, Apple would release a new version of their OS every year, whether or not it was needed. All it did was break things, decontent features and remove things I was using, and eventually even started making things harder to see thanx to nonsensical color schemes like pale grey on glaring white. Otherwise, I never really saw much difference between the first OS X I ever used "Jaguar" and the one I'm using now "Sierra". Its a GUI over Unix.

In 2011, My Mac was dying and I was tired of Apple's bugs and having the rug yanked out from under me. Windows 7 was fast, easy to use, you could configure whatever colors you wanted (which has NEVER been possible with Apple, its glaring white and you'll like it!), and it was pretty darn stable, unlike the buggy and unstable XP. I was just about to switch to Windows when M$ announced Windows 8. I bought a new Mac the next day - the one I'm using now.

Fast forward to now. Apple has continued down the de-contenting road, which is why I'm using a now old version of the OS as any further upgrading would break software that I use every day - one of those being iPhoto, which Apple dropped like a hot potato for the decontented "Photos" that removed features I use, and added an incomprehensible organization scheme that nobody asked for. By their own admission, "Photos" was created for the snapcat crowd - to hell with anyone vaguely serious about their photography - ask any "Aperture" user, an excellent pro-photog program that Apple yanked the rug out from under its users. I liked iMovie until I got tired of Apple's bugs, etc, etc. I'm done.

Over on the Windows side, Balmer's touch religion of Win 8 was a dismal failure, but an increasingly smartphone-like crippled and decontented experience is the order of the day - complete with spyware and forced on-line logins which are nothing but a spyware vector and a HUGE security hole. Log in with a PIN - really Microsoft? This isn't a fucking smartphone and I don't want it to be treated that way.

So as a result, I'm moving back to Linux "next time" - I've already replaced most of my software with open source equivalents - "shotcut" is as good or better than iMovie ever was, and it doesn't crash all the time or exhibit other buggy behavior. When I worked IT, my answer to "Apple or Microsoft" always was "I have an agreement with both of them: they both keep doing stupid shit, and I keep cussing at both of them."

That can be part of the problem if people buy a cheap PC. My previous job, I had a client dislike our 'high' estimate for new PC's. Figured they would score some points with their boss and order their own PC's. They ended up with low budget PC's that were slower than the old PC's. I tried to tell them, but they wouldn't suck it up. Paid us to change them out to the garbage they bought (similar to Chromebook specs). So that is one thing Apple has going for it. The hardware (and software) is high quality, just not to my liking.

If you spend the money and know what you're doing, you can get as high end as you want. Gaming and Autocad systems are two examples of this.

The two things I need a PC to do are things an Apple can't handle:

1. Business - There are too many apps that only work in Windows. Apple has no place in most businesses, around 95%+ wouldn't be able to accomplish all tasks.
2. Games - Pretty close to zero support for real gaming

They are good for artsy stuff like photo and video editing, but that's about it. I had a client trying to convince the boss to switch to Macs. I had a meeting with the owner and the person that wanted them. I asked why they wanted to switch.

1. They are more stable - Really they aren't. You mention the XP days. That's really the last time I would say Windows was unstable. He was saying his PC crashes 'all the time.' None of this could be proven, he never called because of crashing.
2. More user friendly - This is more of a matter of opinion. Is it really difficult to open or close an application?

I ended up telling him to call me when the PC crashed so I could document it and show the owner. I never got that call and the request was dropped.

I do like that the OS is built on Unix (proprietary BSD). I use Linux on my home laptop (no gaming) and prefer it over Windows if you can find applications to get everything done.

Reactions: Zorba
the better advice is to select the tools that are appropriate for your individual needs and to understand how the tools will work and age. pros and cons to everything in life, just educate yourself appropriately.

been an apple guy my entire life and have never had the rug pulled from under me since I select the tools appropriate for my use. the same tools may not be appropriate for someone else which is why you won't see me bag on windows or linux since I have no need for those tools.

office (residential construction) switched from windows to apple products recently and our productivity has gone through the roof, yet I'm not here shitting on windows.

Reactions: trojandawg
the better advice is to select the tools that are appropriate for your individual needs and to understand how the tools will work and age. pros and cons to everything in life, just educate yourself appropriately.

been an apple guy my entire life and have never had the rug pulled from under me since I select the tools appropriate for my use. the same tools may not be appropriate for someone else which is why you won't see me bag on windows or linux since I have no need for those tools.

office switched from windows to apple products recently and our productivity has gone through the roof, yet I'm not here shitting on windows.

What does your office do that would allow them to switch to macs? I have a hard time believing that productivity would go up significantly unless it's one of the VERY few industries (art, design) that could benefit from a Mac.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything wrong with it. Quality control is good since they release very few products per year. Just that they're overpriced for what you get and have very limited app support.

What does your office do that would allow them to switch to macs? I have a hard time believing that productivity would go up significantly unless it's one of the VERY few industries (art) that could benefit from a Mac.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything wrong with it. Quality control is good since they release very few products per year. Just that they're overpriced for what you get and have very limited app support.

edited before you responded but we're in residential construction specializing in low-income multi-family developments.

Reactions: suicideking
TLDR: I like and use both Macs and Windows, but very much prefer Apple laptops.

I have lots of computers, both Windows and Mac, and I have never had the rug pulled out from under me by either.

I will say that I have had much better service with Apple laptops than even premium Windows laptops.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that my son is still using for college. I replaced the mechanical HDD with an SSD and it's still very snappy today.

Typing this right now on a 2015 MacBook Pro that still works perfectly.

I've had multiple Windows laptops (business class, not the cheap plastic units) and have never gotten that many years of usable service out of them. My current issued laptop is a business class Dell that I am NOT a fan of. Constant bluetooth issues.

To be fair though, the issues I have with the Dell could very well be partially due to corporate installed Garbageware that I can't connect to the server without.

I am very comfortable with PCs and have built dozens of custom machines. When I suggested to corporate IT that I would install my own SSD and do a clean install to resolve my laptop issues you would've thought I threw Holy Water on a vampire.

My personal Windows laptop is a Surface Book 2 (13.5", 8th gen i7, 16GB/512GB) that I should probably sell since I don't really use it that much.