ARB Bulkhead Fitting Recomendations?

What should someone look for when buying bulk zip ties? What brand is good? What brand to avoid? Since they will be used underhood I imagine they tend to get crispy like other plastic.

Every professional race team I worked for during my career swore by Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap brand with the metal tangs. Part numbers are TY_ _ _MX. For instance, the 14” long ones are TY528MX. Best in the business, but be prepared for sticker shock…. ;)

Reactions: jjvw and P man
Every professional race team I worked for during my career swore by Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap brand with the metal tangs. Part numbers are TY_ _ _MX. For instance, the 14” long ones are TY528MX. Best in the business, but be prepared for sticker shock…. ;)

I can attest that they are hands down the very best you can buy. Sticker shock is an understatement, but you really do get what you pay for and the importance of the metal tang style can not be overstated. It locks in tight where you need it to, not where the next notch in the tail is which is invariably too tight and squashes something you don't want squashed like split loom or won't get tight enough because it will break or peel the tab out on the next tighter click.

If I forgot to mention it, sticker shock is an understatement.

Reactions: sab and P man
That reminds me to order more. I’m down to my last dozen or two. Time to sell the other kidney! :ROFLMAO:

This is cheap, less than half of what I have paid before.
1707486725099.png

Reactions: P man
Maybe I'm numb to everything being so expensive but that doesn't seem terrible.

Why do I feel the need to drop 150 on zip ties? ;)

Look at the specs. Those are the really skinny ones for wire loom, wire bundles, etc. where you don't want the bulk of the normally used almost 1/4" wide versions that are so common. I have a large bag of the T&B wider versions for heavier duty stuff.

It may seem odd that I buy the longer ones. I've tried the assortment of 20 different lengths to have just the right size and that pretty much sucks. I want to make one trip, get what I need and get back to work. That and the shorter ones are hard to route down behind loom that is already secured when you are laying another one beside it. Having a longer tie makes it easier to fish out of hard to get to places so I have just the longer versions now. Greatly simplifies things. Whatever few pennies I would save by using the exact length each time is more than used up with multiple trips back and forth and getting the wrong tie length. Plus we all know how that works. Helper grabs a handful of each length, very few of them ever get put back and sorted correctly.

If you like, I can send up some samples so you can see why they work so well?

I appreciate that but I'm going to buy some to have at home. My issue is the wife is a crafter/diy'r and is always stealing my zip ties. She could care less about the quality. Maybe I'll buy a cheap assortment for her and stash my good ones somewhere she can't find?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I appreciate that but I'm going to buy some to have at home. My issue is the wife is a crafter/diy'r and is always stealing my zip ties. She could care less about the quality. Maybe I'll buy a cheap assortment for her and stash my good ones somewhere she can't find?

I have many that I'm never going to use if you think she can?

Reactions: P man
I really lucked out about 15 years ago. I went into my local Home Depot, and they had two or three bags of 1000 of the 14" Ty Raps on close out - $25 per bag! I bought them all out and have been working my way through that inventory since then. I had never, ever seen the metal-tang T&B Ty Raps at Home Depot before that day or since. I think someone ordered (or the vendor mistakenly shipped) the good ones by mistake, and they fire-saled them.

Anyway, if this helps anyone, here's how Thomas & Betts Ty Rap part numbering scheme works:

1707506888454.png

And here's the part number list for the standard black Ty Raps:

1707506971869.png

I saw Mr. Blaine's post (thanks, Mr. Blaine!) for the eBay source and considered buying from them, but I found this source to be slightly cheaper:

https://www.prowireusa.com/p-1687-ty-rap-14-18-cable-tie.html

The 1000 piece bag was $159.62 shipped UPS to me, and they shipped very quickly.

Have fun, fellers!

Reactions: Apparition
Thank you all for your advice. Lockers are now "plumbed" with black 6mm tubing, 90's and QD fittings. Took a few minutes to find all the leaks, mostly in the little manifold, but sitting in the garage, the air pressure held for 5 minutes solid without the compressor re-starting to make up for a leak. Now I need to find some time to go test them on the trail 😁!