ARB bumper vs stock bumper weight

JustDandee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
having a problem, this bumper keeps popping into my feed and now at $400… temptation is growing. Anyone know the weight of the stock bumper, weight of the ARB shown? My thinking is that’s 25lb winch plate + OEM bumper weight is going to be with in 20lbs or so of this it’s going to up the temptation…

IMG_1049.png

having a problem, this bumper keeps popping into my feed and now at $400… temptation is growing. Anyone know the weight of the stock bumper, weight of the ARB shown? My thinking is that’s 25lb winch plate + OEM bumper weight is going to be with in 20lbs or so of this it’s going to up the temptation…

View attachment 489066

TJ ARB bumper is definitely heavier than that, it was around ~70 lbs last I checked.

So a solid 45 lb increase over the stock bumper w/ winch plate setup.

TJ ARB bumper is definitely heavier than that, it was around ~70 lbs last I checked.

So a solid 45 lb increase over the stock bumper w/ winch plate setup.

Quite a substantial bit more than that even..
Managed to find the ARB bumper online.
I'm not sure what the OEM bumper weighs, but the ARB is 153lbs to be exact.

Untitledb1.jpg

Untitledb2.jpg

It's heavy.

My Warn Rock Crawler Stubby is 39lbs. I don't like weight, and I never liked ARB bumpers and sliders. They should stick to compressors and lockers.

I love that bumper and its one of my faves, but the weight. 😬 Oof

Significantly heavier than a stock bumper and winch plate combo.

If your goal isn't keeping it light, that bumper is a great choice 😃

Reactions: JustDandee
It's heavy.

My Warn Rock Crawler Stubby is 39lbs. I don't like weight, and I never liked ARB bumpers and sliders. They should stick to compressors and lockers.

Pretty sure there’s parts of the world where it’s illegal to own an 80 series without an ARB bumper.

Jokes aside, they have a legitimate use in places like Australia with their high amounts of roadkill. That’s why all the Australian bumpers look similar (ARB, Ironman, Kaymar etc)

Maybe that’s a typo?

Not sure. Seems excessively heavy to me as well, but that seems to be the common number i'm seeing, aside from Quadratec's claimed 90lb.

This is from Bumper Superstore
https://bumpersuperstore.com/i-2397...-bull-bar-for-jeep-wrangler-tj-1997-2006.html
1704609793181.png

This one is from SD Parts
https://sdparts.com/i-24528710-arb-3450150-jeep-yj-tj-multifit-winch-bar.html
1704610163223.png

To note:
Quadratec is fairly skewed on their "shipping weight" specs.
They claimed a 57lb shipping weight on my Rugged Ridge XHD.

Scale weight shows it at 87lb.

View attachment 489066

If you are attracted to what is clearly an enormous and obviously heavy bumper, then why are you concerned about the weight? 😉

It's heavy.

I’m not a fan of the design either, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am sure I like a lot of things others consider ugly as hell.

My recollection is that there are some quite specific and prescriptive laws around bumpers in Australia that probably drive the design and make the types of bumper favoured by many here illegal in Australia.

My recollection confirmed in first few minutes of this video…
Australian bumper laws

Reactions: JMT
What I like is the integrated winch plate and how it matches to the fender area -stylistic choices. I would probably trim off the lower metal air dam on The wings to lessen the frontal area.. see pics below, I would have to wage an internal argument if the weight penalty was closer to what y’all are throwing out but your estimates its a no go...
edit: so we thinking 87 lbs ARB vs 25lb winch plate + 20lb factory sounds right? Roughly 50lbs? Before Including the winch.

IMG_1050.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

Last edited:
Up way to early however if it’s closer 70 and not the 87lbs shipping weight and I make these cuts.I think I am in my 20lb exceptable range. I could talk myself into this by breakfast… I message the seller to see if he wouldn’t mind weighing it

IMG_1049.jpeg

Reactions: ColoJeep
Up way to early however if it’s closer 70 and not the 87lbs shipping weight and I make these cuts.I think I am in my 20lb exceptable range. I could talk myself into this by breakfast… I message the seller to see if he wouldn’t mind weighing it

View attachment 489112

Enjoy your enormous ugly bumper.