ARB twin compressor vs 2 ARB single compressors plumbed together

MichaelGH

Hemi ‘97
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am at a point where I want to get an ARB compressor set up in my TJ. Having a bit of a hard time with the needed room for the twin. Would two separate CKMA12 singles plumbed together be an option to get better output? I don’t need to equal the twin’s output but I need better than what a single can manage. I have the tray below the booster and part of that side’s inner fender available. I even considered my skid plate, behind the transfer case on the driver’s side. What are you guys doing to make yours fit?

That's a good question, I would like to hear some input.

Just wondering why you need a bit more output than the single (but I assume not the one that's only meant for lockers only). I have the single and it's a bit slow in airing up tires, but so far so good. I think a small tank and 2 singles would be really cool. I'm kind of at a point where I could get 1 of the dual compressors and then move the 2 singles to the other rig, which would be cool.

I also like having air to blow out radiators and just general debris. The single will work for that but I give it extra time so it doesn't run too long.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Split the dual compressors into two singles, mount each one wherever they fit and plumb/wire them back together?
I believe the way they put the twin together prohibits what are you describing. That’s why I was thinking two of the mid size high output units plumbed together...

That's a good question, I would like to hear some input.

Just wondering why you need a bit more output than the single (but I assume not the one that's only meant for lockers only). I have the single and it's a bit slow in airing up tires, but so far so good. I think a small tank and 2 singles would be really cool. I'm kind of at a point where I could get 1 of the dual compressors and then move the 2 singles to the other rig, which would be cool.

I also like having air to blow out radiators and just general debris. The single will work for that but I give it extra time so it doesn't run too long.
Just for exactly what you are describing. The capacity to do work and not worry too much about burning anything up. I’ve been researching quite a while and I am surprised there isn’t more information on the TJ side of things. Most everything I read is JK/JL oriented...

Reactions: BugoutJeep
It's my understanding that the twin one is just 2 wired together by ARB.

I do like the idea of the twin, but for the price, I have a gas powered air compressor that I use with equipment so I don't burn up the ARB, but I have used the ARB single air compressor to blow out a radiator and it worked fine. It airs up tires, etc, but it's slower. The gas powered alternative is a pretty easy choice for me, because I just hook up a trailer with a bunch of stuff I need for the tractor(s) and can put the air compressor on that, but for most it's too much, but it will run real air tools, etc. However I've switched mostly to battery powered tools, so I don't use the air compressor as much.

Carry a spare fuse btw. I got into some weather and the somehow some of the wiring got in water and blew the fuse, which was annoying because I needed to air up. I put my air compressor under my seat, because I've got a bunch of stuff under the hood now. You may be able to fit the twin there though. I do carry a spare tire inflator, because I inflate tires pretty often so I was ok, but it is deep in my gear to get out and use.

For better or worse, here's my install in my Jeep.

It's my understanding that the twin one is just 2 wired together by ARB.

I do like the idea of the twin, but for the price, I have a gas powered air compressor that I use with equipment so I don't burn up the ARB, but I have used the ARB single air compressor to blow out a radiator and it worked fine. It airs up tires, etc, but it's slower. The gas powered alternative is a pretty easy choice for me, because I just hook up a trailer with a bunch of stuff I need for the tractor(s) and can put the air compressor on that, but for most it's too much, but it will run real air tools, etc. However I've switched mostly to battery powered tools, so I don't use the air compressor as much.

Carry a spare fuse btw. I got into some weather and the somehow some of the wiring got in water and blew the fuse, which was annoying because I needed to air up. I put my air compressor under my seat, because I've got a bunch of stuff under the hood now. You may be able to fit the twin there though. I do carry a spare tire inflator, because I inflate tires pretty often so I was ok, but it is deep in my gear to get out and use.

For better or worse, here's my install in my Jeep.

Very cool man. All good info. I appreciate it!

Don't let the ARB singles' duty cycle scare you. I think @Jerry Bransford highlighted in many posts it has a 50% duty cycle. I.E. running it for 30 minutes continuously isn't going to harm it. I have one plumbed under my hood and it fills 35's pretty quick.

If you're sold on the twin, I think under-hood options may be limited to something custom under the battery tray or the mountain offroad bracket option.

I'll piggy back on @sierradmax said. The single works great for filling tires and setting beads. If your plan is to run air tools, you'll need more volume than what the twin can do. You would need to add an expansion tank. At that point, a power tank would work best, but that's my $0.02.

I do really like having an air compressor on-board. It doesn't take up a lot of room. I haven't put these through the ringer, but it's another reason I don't see the air compressor as being a negative to air lockers, which I see sometimes.

Don't let the ARB singles' duty cycle scare you. I think @Jerry Bransford highlighted in many posts it has a 50% duty cycle. I.E. running it for 30 minutes continuously isn't going to harm it. I have one plumbed under my hood and it fills 35's pretty quick.

If you're sold on the twin, I think under-hood options may be limited to something custom under the battery tray or the mountain offroad bracket option.
I went ahead and bought the twin. I’ll squeeze it in somewhere this weekend for sure. One way or another...

I'll piggy back on @sierradmax said. The single works great for filling tires and setting beads. If your plan is to run air tools, you'll need more volume than what the twin can do. You would need to add an expansion tank. At that point, a power tank would work best, but that's my $0.02.
I think an air tank is a good idea to add in with the twin. I am not overly interested in a power tank for myself. I have definitely seen some nice setups though...