Are 37s the new 35s?

JeepZilla380

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Lately the TJ/LJ FB groups I belong too seem to be covered now in posts of “can I run 37s on stock axles”, “how much lift for 37s”, and “how’s 3.73 gears with 37s”?

Boggles the mind that folks would go to even larger tires without properly strengthening their Jeep first.

Sure makes my 33s look tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Please tell me this is not a real thing? Damn it! This is why I stay off of FB because I can't handle the situations that arise on it! 3.73s!!!??? Like seriously WTF are they even thinking! Argh, some people are so stupid! I wouldn't be able to resist trolling a group of people being that stupid.

My answer: yeah for sure you could run 37s on stock axles. I run 40s on a 6 inch lift with 3.73s and it's mostly ok but on the freeway I wish I had better gearing. My recommendation would be a 4 inch teraflex lift, 37 inch tires, 4.10 gears, and don't waste money on stronger axles. These axles are fine for up to 40s. Oh and while you are at it, don't forget the angry birds grill, they are sick and increase airflow which usually nets a 5 percent increase in hp

Then virtually slap them upside the head and tell them they are out of their mind and funnel the truth into that tiny brain holder of theirs or let Darwin run his course on them and see what they get themselves into. Me personally, I don't have the heart to keep the troll going, I would go down telling the truth route

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mmmm, makes sense since there are tons of JK's on 35's +. Much easier to stuff them under a JK than a TJ, however.

I even see it here in Florida. I usually don’t get a response when I ask what trails around here require a 37” tire.

Reactions: VallenMaes
Please tell me this is not a real thing? Damn it! This is why I stay off of FB because I can't handle the situations that arise on it! 3.73s!!!??? Like seriously WTF are they even thinking! Argh, some people are so stupid! I wouldn't be able to resist trolling a group of people being that stupid.

My answer: yeah for sure you could run 37s on stock axles. I run 40s on a 6 inch lift with 3.73s and it's mostly ok but on the freeway I wish I had better gearing. My recommendation would be a 4 inch teraflex lift, 37 inch tires, 4.10 gears, and don't waste money on stronger axles. These axles are fine for up to 40s. Oh and while you are at it, don't forget the angry birds grill, they are sick and increase airflow which usually nets a 5 percent increase in hp

Then virtually slap them upside the head and tell them they are out of their mind and funnel the truth into that tiny brain holder of theirs or let Darwin run his course on them and see what they get themselves into. Me personally, I don't have the heart to keep the troll going, I would go down telling the truth route

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

+1. I too feel it’s a JK carry over. The majority I see are just trying to go 37 with minimal upgrades. Craziness. I always felt with 33s I wouldn’t ever break anything on my TJ, and 35s took a bit of upgrades, to be done right. Where JKs can easily run 35s, and upgrades for 37s.

Never really considered 37s something to even consider on a TJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's Facebook... I'm not surprised. :D

I've never seen more idiots in my life than I have on social media (present company excluded obviously).

I don't get it though. I love my 33s. They look perfect on a TJ whereas 35s look perfect on a JK.

I bought my TJ with 37's on it not knowing any better, after a year I finally traded them for 35's. They look and perform better I think.
I never wheeled on my 37's but I did enjoy making JK's look small.

Reactions: Serbonze
My guess is that being that in Florida you mostly wheel in mud and we have tons of it down here the larger the tires the better. That is why you see the swamp buggies and the huge mud trucks blasting through the mud. Some of the mud holes or water trails can easily swallow up a TJ.

I had a friend back in the day who ran 47's on a 73 CJ.

This place is where I would wheel when I did water a mud (JW Corbett WMA) It is not far from me. I would guide club rides all the time since I was one of the few members who knew every inch of that place.

The CJ in the video is the one I mentioned above.

Reactions: JMT
Yea but when all of your friends at the local wing house parking lot meet are tire humping on 35s, you need to up the game and go to 37s to stand out. ;)

Haha... I get it. It's tire envy!

Looking at how big my spare is on my tailgate with a 33", I can't even imagine a 37" spare on my tailgate!

Reactions: MikeM
How it feels.jpg

Without further comment...

It's Facebook... I'm not surprised. :D

I've never seen more idiots in my life than I have on social media (present company excluded obviously).

I don't get it though. I love my 33s. They look perfect on a TJ whereas 35s look perfect on a JK.
I have never seen 33's look perfect on a TJ. I do suppose though that me running 35's on a TJ since late 99 might have something to do with that.