Are all bikini tops created equal?

Will do!

Very cool! I can see myself using this top quite a bit. Is the tonneau cover OEM too?
No, but it's a Bestop, so made by the manufacturer of the OEM tops. Came across it on CL. Guy bought it and didn't realize it wouldn't work with the locking box he'd installed in the rear. I just happened to have read somewhere about the tonneau reducing the wind with the bikini, and came across it shortly thereafter. He just wanted it gone, so for the $40 he wanted, couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I jumped on it.

Reactions: psrivats
No, but it's a Bestop, so made by the manufacturer of the OEM tops. Came across it on CL. Guy bought it and didn't realize it wouldn't work with the locking box he'd installed in the rear. I just happened to have read somewhere about the tonneau reducing the wind with the bikini, and came across it shortly thereafter. He just wanted it gone, so for the $40 he wanted, couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I jumped on it.

$40 is great for the tonneau. This is the first time that I'm reading about the wind being lower with it. Will do some research. Thanks for sharing that but if info!

Reactions: DaveC
@glwood @Chris

I think I found the best bikini top option for TJs. Was browsing Craigslist and saw an ad deep in the local suburb for a "genuine Mopar 2003 half top" with not-so-clear picturesb and couple part numbers for $100. Decided to check it out. And oh boy, was I glad I did.

I found the mythical and the long, long discontinued "Sun bonnet" top in brand new shape. I wrote about this in my post above and I can't believe I actually came across one. Here are some photos.

The latch is just like the OEM soft top and the fabric material is exactly the same. The sides tuck into the soft top door surrounds like the OEM top. In the back, they tie behind the sound pods. The quality is really fantastic.

The seller had no idea what it was, except to say that his dad had a Jeep a long while ago (and sold it years ago) and they came across this as they were clearing the garage for a move. He said it comes as is, no hardware, take it or leave it. I gave him the money and bought it with me.

View attachment 107188

View attachment 107189

View attachment 107191

View attachment 107192

View attachment 107193

View attachment 107197

View attachment 107194

View attachment 107196
Very cool, nice find. That looks like new! It's the oem latches/header that make that worth using.

@glwood @Chris

I think I found the best bikini top option for TJs. Was browsing Craigslist and saw an ad deep in the local suburb for a "genuine Mopar 2003 half top" with not-so-clear picturesb and couple part numbers for $100. Decided to check it out. And oh boy, was I glad I did.

I found the mythical and the long, long discontinued "Sun bonnet" top in brand new shape. I wrote about this in my post above and I can't believe I actually came across one. Here are some photos.

The latch is just like the OEM soft top and the fabric material is exactly the same. The sides tuck into the soft top door surrounds like the OEM top. In the back, they tie behind the sound pods. The quality is really fantastic.

The seller had no idea what it was, except to say that his dad had a Jeep a long while ago (and sold it years ago) and they came across this as they were clearing the garage for a move. He said it comes as is, no hardware, take it or leave it. I gave him the money and bought it with me.

View attachment 107188

View attachment 107189

View attachment 107191

View attachment 107192

View attachment 107193

View attachment 107197

View attachment 107194

View attachment 107196

That is very cool. I want one. Seriously. I just set up a saved search on CL.

Reactions: psrivats
That is very cool. I want one. Seriously. I just set up a saved search on CL.

Good luck. It's really worth finding. Make sure you put the model numbers from the PDF I attached a few posts ago as well.

@glwood @Chris

View attachment 107188

View attachment 107189

View attachment 107191

View attachment 107192

View attachment 107193

View attachment 107197

View attachment 107194

View attachment 107196
Just scored one myself for free today!
In brand new condition, only used a few times, blue denim.
I don't have soft top door surrounds, so I guess I'll have to find some! @AndyG

20210410_160403.jpg

20210410_144602.jpg

20210410_144554.jpg

20210410_144525.jpg

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
You don't need them. Just buy a pair of soft top door surrounds and you'll be all set. You can get them on CL or FB marketplace for not much.
You would think, but apparently people are proud of them. I'd spring a little for a set, but folks are putting for sale anywhere from $50 for well worn or crappy to decent $100+!

You would think, but apparently people are proud of them. I'd spring a little for a set, but folks are putting for sale anywhere from $50 for well worn or crappy to decent $100+!
Some Bikini/Bimini tops work with or without the surrounds....my bestop will but it will do better with in my opinion.

I haven’t seen one like you just got with the sound bar detail, that should fit nice.

The ol CJ style that had straps to the back of the tub was a winner.

Karla should have a set...I had some of the blue Rubi I wish I had kept for you...will check the Jeep shed but I’m not remembering seeing them.

My bestop that just goes to the bar doesn’t thrill me, had to get enough tension at the same time tough to get locked into the surrounds.

I’m such a fan of the open air, I use my spiderweb when it’s crazy hot as an in between fix vs. a bikini.

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
Maybe yes or maybe no! but if you buy a "summer top combo" the windjammer part is only for short upright driving people because you have to have your seats forward of the front roll bar lol I wanted to say "For Midgets" but way too many Woke on here lol

Some Bikini/Bimini tops work with or without the surrounds....my bestop will but it will do better with in my opinion.

I haven’t seen one like you just got with the sound bar detail, that should fit nice.

The ol CJ style that had straps to the back of the tub was a winner.

Karla should have a set...I had some of the blue Rubi I wish I had kept for you...will check the Jeep shed but I’m not remembering seeing them.

My bestop that just goes to the bar doesn’t thrill me, had to get enough tension at the same time tough to get locked into the surrounds.

I’m such a fan of the open air, I use my spiderweb when it’s crazy hot as an in between fix vs. a bikini.
Well I hope you have a set! Karla may have some, but again, she's so high on everything, it's hard to get a good deal. I know there is a set on that black one you tried to pillage, but it's with the intact top, so probably won't sell them individually. Everything else I saw, was either trashed, or broken. This top is literally new. Not sure how the denim blue will look on mine, but it will be a neat top.

Reactions: AndyG