Are both of these PCV valves?

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
There are two of these, one toward the rear of the engine behind the oil cap and one in the front of the engine in front of the oil cap. Are they both PCV valves?

I think I’m leaking oil at one or both of these, are these common places for oil to leak?
FD5A315C-7F6F-4CCA-A846-F33AD12EC381.jpeg
9D591589-273E-4E55-A5C8-3792D58618CD.jpeg

I just replaced mine that were leaking and they are definitely different. If I remember right one was just hollow. Mine were leaking because the rubber dried out and was brittle. So brittle that I had to bust everything out. What a PITA.

• Sad
Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
one is wide open and the other one has a smaller diameter opening within, 2 different part numbers. i wouldnt anticipate the actual elbow fitting leaking oil but if the bung it fits into is hard rubber from age than that would likely be your leak point.

i replaced both bungs and elbows with new dealer items and i still see a little bit of minimal oil vapor residue around the bungs. the rubber that ran from the intake pipe to the elbow split when i was messing with it as well as the rubber from the rear elbow to the intake. if you start messing with it be sure to possibly replace the rubber hose on those as well.

there are baffles under the valve cover so oil shouldnt splash up and out from the bungs, if anything id expect oily residue on the valve cover unless your bungs are severly aged.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
I just replaced mine that were leaking and they are definitely different. If I remember right one was just hollow. Mine were leaking because the rubber dried out and was brittle. So brittle that I had to bust everything out. What a PITA.
I could probably just replace the rubber grommets. Its probably brittle like yours.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Essentially, yes. Although I think they are referred to as CCV (Crank Case Ventilation).

The rear one just has a small hole. The front is as big as the rubber hoses. Neither have a metal Jiggly valve like like most PCV valves Ive seen.

Now that I'm looking a little more, the rear one is a PCV Elbow, and the front one I think is a Crankcase Vent Tube. I think they both use the same grommet. @CodaMan, what do you mean it's a PITA? Are they hard to remove or something?

Reactions: KCsTJ and DrDmoney
if old and dry hardened they can be a bugger to pull and it might break apart on you.

Well, I ordered them, I'm tired of the oil leak. I thought it was the RMS, but it looks like it's coming from up top, it's all over up there, then running down the passenger side and on to the oil pan and transmission, blowing back toward the TCase. It was only about 1/2 quart low this oil change. If this doesn't fix it, I'm on to the RMS in a year or so.

Reactions: KCsTJ
i always have a single drip hanging from that RMS area, it never hits the ground in my driveway but if i wipe it away another will appear in a day or so...............but i'm not touchin it until it starts to spot on the ground.

Yes it could. Mine were cracked and hard but I managed to pry them out intact.

The front one is wide open because it plumbs into the intake tube before the throttle plate, the rear one has a pin hole orifice because it's plumbed into the manifold after the throttle plate.

Reactions: JMT
if the grommet is super dry and its cracks up on you it could drop some debris, for me it was the plastic part that breaks up when you try and use it to pry the whole thing up n out.

Reactions: JMT
Thanks for the help. It may be easier to try to cut it with a box cutter and then work it out.