Are both of these PCV valves?

My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many good RMS seals have been replaced due to a PCV gasket. 🤣
I changed both grommets after having a little bit of oil here and there on the garage floor, problem solved.

Reactions: JMT
I just fixed these yesterday! The rubber grommets were totally rotted out and pressure was pushing oil out of the seals.

The plastic elbows were super brittle, so what I did was break the edges of the elbows that sit over the grommets (honestly it’s kind of inevitable), shove a flathead between the elbows and the grommets, and pop the elbows out. The grommets were easy to get out after that point. Others have mentioned there are baffles in there. Forcing the old parts out leave little pieces of plastic and rubber on top of the baffles, so make sure to get all of the little pieces out.

I bought Dorman parts from O’Reily’s and I have to say the grommets are MUCH beefier than the OEM ones. Seating everything was simple and now my valve cover has no leaks 🙂
8E94AC4B-D5FB-4857-AE5B-FB5C4967E369.jpeg

I just fixed these yesterday! The rubber grommets were totally rotted out and pressure was pushing oil out of the seals.

The plastic elbows were super brittle, so what I did was break the edges of the elbows that sit over the grommets (honestly it’s kind of inevitable), shove a flathead between the elbows and the grommets, and pop the elbows out. The grommets were easy to get out after that point. Others have mentioned there are baffles in there. Forcing the old parts out leave little pieces of plastic and rubber on top of the baffles, so make sure to get all of the little pieces out.

I bought Dorman parts from O’Reily’s and I have to say the grommets are MUCH beefier than the OEM ones. Seating everything was simple and now my valve cover has no leaks 🙂View attachment 131074
I wonder if I used the wrong parts, they were Dorman, but after I switched them out I have high idle. Here were my parts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZIXIW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5I49C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Wait, did you use the same black PCV elbows for the front and rear?
No, I only changed the rear so far. The front one is different, it’s a Crankcase vent tube.

@Jamison C . What were your part numbers for the grommet and PCV valve?

No, I only changed the rear so far. The front one is different, it’s a Crankcase vent tube.
Thats your problem 🙂 Despite what amazon says, this is the one you need for the rear. The smaller hole is a metered orifice that restricts the vacuum. Too much vacuum in the manifold causes high idle.

I know this is the right one because I matched this part number with the one I bought from O’Reily’s.

Thats your problem 🙂 Despite what amazon says, this is the one you need for the rear. The smaller hole is a metered orifice that restricts the vacuum. Too much vacuum in the manifold causes high idle.

I know this is the right one because I matched this part number with the one I bought from O’Reily’s.
Geez. Well thank you both. Amazon has wrong info. I have one on order now. Should be here Monday. Much appreciated

I bought Dorman parts from O’Reily’s and I have to say the grommets are MUCH beefier than the OEM ones. Seating everything was simple and now my valve cover has no leaks 🙂View attachment 131074
Time to replace some Vacuum tubing as well, Friend. The line from the CCV to the Intake tube is rotten. Those cracks are air leaks..and if you have air leaks there, you're not getting the ventilation in the crankcase you should.

That part number is different for a 2005, it looks like Jeep has discontinued the 53013742AB. Looks smaller in size.
Has anyone tired the bigger size from the year before? Does it fit the same grommet hole?

Big thanks to this thread!

I had a slow oil leak that would drip from the tip of the oil drain plug. My oil was never low, and I believed I was putting off replacing the RMS. Jeep was also throwing codes P0455 and P0442.

After replacing the valves and the grommets, along with the vacuum tubing to the intake tube, no leak and no check engine light!

Reactions: JMT and Jamison C
For the 2005 there is a lobe that rotates back into a groove on the valve cover. Did your new pcv elbow have that oblong lobe?

For the 2005 there is a lobe that rotates back into a groove on the valve cover. Did your new pcv elbow have that oblong lobe?
This is where I’m at. I have an 06 and want the right part number for the rear elbow, anyone know if the rear across years are all compatible? They look the same minus the lobe that locks onto the valve cover.

They are different. The front is completely open and ties to air box. The rear is smaller diameter (so different grommets) and has a tiny orifice inside the elbow. Autoparts stores claim it is the same grommet. It is not...

Found the rear grommet at quadratec mopar# 53013743AB.
Never located a new elbow (mopar#53013743ab) but managed to salvage mine and the new grommet made a world of difference in sealing.

For reference Front numbers are 53030497 elbow and 2946079 grommet. 05 and 06 are coded as the same.

They are different. The front is completely open and ties to air box. The rear is smaller diameter (so different grommets) and has a tiny orifice inside the elbow. Autoparts stores claim it is the same grommet. It is not...

Found the rear grommet at quadratec mopar# 53013743AB.
Never located a new elbow (mopar#53013743ab) but managed to salvage mine and the new grommet made a world of difference in sealing.

For reference Front numbers are 53030497 elbow and 2946079 grommet. 05 and 06 are coded as the same.
Thanks, for the numbers. I’m aware front and rear are different. I just didn’t know if the rear part numbers translated across years. It seems you can find the rear (smaller hole) from earlier years with no flange but it looks like Mopar discontinued it for later years 05-06

You would think replacing those would be an easy task...well its not.
First the brittle plastic PCV valve broke. Then the dried out grommet wouldn't come out. I tried cutting it but it was rather hard. The blade went into my knee way easier than it went into the grommet. I ended up ripping the lip off with pliers, pushing the grommet in and pulling it out with pliers (there is a deflector on the back side). And all this was with the valve cover off (I was replacing the gasket). There is no way I would have been comfortable if I had to do this with the valve cover on the engine, I would have been too worried about pieces getting into the engine. You might be better off just pulling the valve cover...to replace the gasket...and doing the grommet then. Hopefully you don't have the same issues I had, it was definitely filed in the PITA cabinet for reference later on.

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and DrDmoney
I beleive you are right. The flange only existed in 05 and 06. Must have had a damn good reason because retooling and adding that lip on the cover wasn't cheap.
Best bet might be a junk yard to find the replacement.. Assuming you can pry it out without damage.....
A giant PITA for a couple of tiny parts.