Are Diehard batteries any good?

Why absorbed glass mat (AGM) are you planning to be upside down. Just get the cheapest Lead-Acid with matching CCAs to your old batt. 3-5 years is all you'll get at any price today. Read about my 17 year old Optima Red batt still starting my Jeep. But that tech, is over new red tops last 4-5 years. I paid $160.00 New red top $225.00 not the same owners.
You don't have to be upside down to benefit from AGM batteries.

You don't have to be upside down to benefit from AGM batteries.
Please tell us, what are the benefits. these batteries were originally designed for radio transmission towers as back-up power supply
in very remote areas where techs, would not be able to top off batteries with distilled water on a regular schedule. other then that all lead-acid batteries are the same.

Last edited:
Please tell us, what are the benefits. these batteries were originally designed for radio transmission towers as back-up power supply
in very remote areas where techs, would not be able to top off batteries with distilled water on a regular schedule. other then that all lead-acid batteries are the same.
Better load ability
Sealed (wont leak acid)
longer lifespan
Ability to handle vibrations (and being upside down)
Many offer front and top terminals
Discharge depth, temperature resistance, self discharge rate...

Sorry to all the AGM battery worshippers. My JKU had a "premium" AGM battery and it failed at almost exactly 3 years. On the other hand, my TJ has an OE rated Duralast and its going on 4 years all go.

Maybe if you winch and have a ton of aux power going you'd find a need for it? Offroad some heavy trails on a regular and camp, tow, or use an onboard compressor? Beats me. But the way I see it, save my money for the shyt I really need and buy another battery when the OE dies.

Reactions: bucky and Paul Land
Sorry to all the AGM battery worshippers. My JKU had a "premium" AGM battery and it failed at almost exactly 3 years. On the other hand, my TJ has an OE rated Duralast and its going on 4 years all go.

Maybe if you winch and have a ton of aux power going you'd find a need for it? Offroad some heavy trails on a regular and camp, tow, or use an onboard compressor? Beats me. But the way I see it, save my money for the shyt I really need and buy another battery when the OE dies.
Just like most things, it's important people know the options and select based on their needs. It would be silly to buy an AGM if that's not what you need based on how your use your Jeep. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because you had a lemon 🤷‍♂️

Just like most things, it's important people know the options and select based on their needs. It would be silly to buy an AGM if that's not what you need based on how your use your Jeep. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just because you had a lemon 🤷‍♂️
Was it a lemon, though? It was rated for 3 years, so......

Don't know if you're just stirring the pot but I think you are confusing gel cell batteries and AGM, they are different things.

what would you recommend for a good battery?
Most any non-spillable is fine. The benefits of an AGM can NOT be overstated once you deal with a few acid rotten issues under the hood that could have been prevented easily.

The most important is just basic terminal corrosion that causes all manner of electrical and charging issues. Non-spillables go a very long way to keeping those connections viable.

I agree an AGM battery is, in most applications, superior to a wet lead acid battery. The Achilles heel of AGMs is charging them properly. Most premature failure of an AGM battery is caused by incorect charging. While you can charge them wit any type of charger it is best to charge them with a charger designed to charge them. If the regulation of your charging system is not proper this can lead to premature failure. In theory an AGM battery should last longer than a wet lead acid battery.
Also the problem with most wet lead acid batteries today is that it’s getting harder to find ones that allow you to add water lost due to out gassing.