Are JKs more capable than TJs?

The ABS system on the JK is advanced enough to use it for traction control. There is no VSS on the t-case, all ground speed data is picked up by the ABS sensors at each corner. That is all tied into what is essentially full time traction control. It is common to get the steering wheel off slightly which throws a traction control MIL so the systems are integrated enough to not distinguish between straight ABS and traction control. They may have a different algorithm in 4 wheel drive.

All I really know is folks playing in the mud with non Rubi JK will smoke a TJ with how far they can go all other things being equal.
That makes sense, thank you.

It is extremely scenario dependent, but generally a short wheelbase vehicle requires less tire than a long wheelbase vehicle, typically because of the difference in breakover angle. This is why Gladiators are capable on 37's, but struggle on 33's, whereas a TJ on 33s is extremely capable.

A couple weekends ago I could make it through stuff on my 32's and LSDs that a friend's JKU on 37's and lockers could not. Naturally, he could make it through other things that I could not. It just depends. The hill climbs he could do I still may not be able to do on 35s.

The biggest problem I have personally experienced in the craze for ever larger tires is ruts. Most often when I get stuck offroad, it's deep ruts from large tires. And you can't always straddle them. People often throw huge tires on without lockers, so lots of wheel spin still happens, and a lot of earth removed. Naturally a vehicle with larger tires can go through deeper ruts before dragging diffs.

If you're trying to choose a rig for rock crawling, consider an LJ. Longer than a TJ, shorter than a JKU. I personally think the wheelbase is the sweet spot, as far as factory Jeeps go.
We have a standard procedure where I wheel. TJs and 2 door JK/JLs go first, followed by LJs, then 4 door Wranglers bring up the rear. We spend far more time helping the 4 doors, on 35 or 37" tires, get through the trails than all the other vehicles combined.

I know it's not a JK, but...
Driving, the difference between my TJ and JT is like a soap box car compared to a Cadillac. The JT can do so much more with little to no effort... It came stock with 32" tires, to run 35's and still flex, all I had to do was swap the Overland suspension for Rubicon, and 1.5 inch spacers on front. (will change that out to 2.5 inch lift springs soon, as the spacers are noisy) TJ is a lot more fun driving fully opened. As far as offroad, TJ is a 6sp, and JT is auto... much easier to drive the auto offroad for me, but I'll take the TJ out more to practice now that we are in an area that has good trails, and I'm not in school and/or remodeling a house.

It’s pretty hard to expect a 93 wheelbase and a 137 wheelbase to do anything similarly.

It’s pretty hard to expect a 93 wheelbase and a 137 wheelbase to do anything similarly.
About the only things the truck has issues with, are tight turns and drop-offs.

Like @mrblaine was saying, the traction control/anti-lock braking system does a great job keeping the vehicle moving especially when you use brake and throttle at the same time. The truck also has the hill decent control, which is a god-send in a rock garden and steep downhill trails... it's cruise control for 4lo...

About the only things the truck has issues with, are tight turns and drop-offs.

Like @mrblaine was saying, the traction control/anti-lock braking system does a great job keeping the vehicle moving especially when you use brake and throttle at the same time. The truck also has the hill decent control, which is a god-send in a rock garden and steep downhill trails... it's cruise control for 4lo...
Hill descent control? In my TJ, that's a 4:1 T-case in low and 1st gear on my 5 speed!

Hill descent control? In my TJ, that's a 4:1 T-case in low and 1st gear on my 5 speed!
for real, even with a 2.72:1 case, 1st in my 6 speed and 4.88 is enough that the tires will slip due to the slope before the engine revs any higher than I tell it to.

42rle, 4:1 tcase and 5.38s, I probably use the skinny pedal more than the brake on all but the steepest descents.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I was there when "if I remember correctly" it was co-sponsered by Mark Smith, and you weren't required to have a passenger.
The new JK's (3 or 4) were driven down from the Tahoe side. The bumpers, skid plates, rockers and wheels took a beating but, they were put on display as is after the dust was wiped off.
One of ( of many ) the best parts of the event was, when they announced that they were going to offer a Helicopter ride over the trail. That was a kick in the ass for me but, the other 2 passengers, not so much. All I heard in the headphones was screaming and them holding on for dear life. I was belted in tight and had both hands out of the window taking pics. I think we flew the whole trail in 12 minutes.
We were flown out to the Truckee airport several times and the chopper rides were my favorite part of the whole 2 weeks up there.

Reactions: alittleoff
Great thread-insightful-

Going deeper- what makes folks that try both often end up back in a TJ? Does it vary or is there a common theme (feels like a jeep, more fun, etc)

As far as wheeling capability I don’t know first hand- the last one that came with us couldn’t even make it to the trail- the owner would not even attempt it because it was too tight.

I’ve heard they can get it done off road over and over and believe it.

The JK is just soul-less.

Why I’m not positive, but I think it’s because they drive too much like any other SUV.

I’ve seen them perform well with the traction system at Moab. I was surprised. The raised belly and HiLined hood are a natural advantage over a TJ. I wouldn’t have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJRick
Unless you need more power, more room, more doors, more ground clearance, bigger tires, or more tow capacity.
4.0s are pretty easy to kick the power up on in small increments. Ground clearance and bigger tires there's only thousands of products out there for?? And what are you wanting to haul that weighs more than 3500lb with a jeep? Seems like plenty enough...

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and JMT
Stock to stock higher level of capability does not equate to more likeability. I wouldn't take any JK if you gave it to me.
I had to think a little about this one. A TJ can clearly be made more capable, but can the inverse be true, i.e. a JK can be made more likeable?

Reactions: RINC and SvtLdr
4.0s are pretty easy to kick the power up on in small increments. Ground clearance and bigger tires there's only thousands of products out there for?? And what are you wanting to haul that weighs more than 3500lb with a jeep? Seems like plenty enough...
You apparently replied to mrblaine, not knowing him at all. You'll get a more positive response on Pirate4x4 forum asking what DW is. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and Irun
I had a JKUR and it was a great Jeep. Did a 600 mile day no problem. Did not like the 6 speed. I’ve had a lot of manual transmission vehicles, from sports cars, to 1 ton trucks, to off road rigs and I just couldn‘t like the 6spd/3.6 combo. It was on 35’s and I tried re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.88’s and it still sucked. The 3.6 has no “flywheel” effect (thank you Mercedes car motor) and so even with the extra gearing, it always felt weak on the bottom end. If my JK had been an automatic, I would probably still have it. I bought the LJ because it is a toy and will be built for the Rubicon/Fordyce. The TJ platform has better visibility and feels less turret like as well.

Jack

Reactions: TJ Starting
I had a JKUR and it was a great Jeep. Did a 600 mile day no problem. Did not like the 6 speed. I’ve had a lot of manual transmission vehicles, from sports cars, to 1 ton trucks, to off road rigs and I just couldn‘t like the 6spd/3.6 combo. It was on 35’s and I tried re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.88’s and it still sucked. The 3.6 has no “flywheel” effect (thank you Mercedes car motor) and so even with the extra gearing, it always felt weak on the bottom end. If my JK had been an automatic, I would probably still have it. I bought the LJ because it is a toy and will be built for the Rubicon/Fordyce. The TJ platform has better visibility and feels less turret like as well.

Jack
I've driven several JKs with the manual trans. I'm sure you could come up with something more terrible to shift but it would take some doing.