Are jumper cables antiquated?

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
I'm going to be in the market for a set of jumper cables soon for my LJ (I had moved my set over to the khaki TJ). I've come to realize a few things over the last few years:

1) I haven't needed jumper cables on any of my maintained vehicles in the last 10 years. Has battery technology gotten more reliable and jumper cables aren't needed anymore?

2) My biggest fear is that I'll leave something turned on and drain my battery overnight. So while I haven't forgotten to turn anything off in the last 10 years it could happen and make point #1 irrelevant.

3) Have those "jumper pack" batteries replaced jumper cables? They seem like they'll pack down smaller which is welcome in a Jeep, but will the battery in those end up failing without me knowing since it'll go unused for long periods of time.

4) If jumper cables are still a good idea to carry which ones are recommended?

Reactions: Trailking
I've been using a battery power pack. The one I got from Amazon for about $65 started my truck three times recently between charges (battery issues now happily resolved). Cables are a good idea for a backup in risky situations, but the ability to jump the battery without needing assistance is a major plus.

1) I haven't needed jumper cables on any of my maintained vehicles in the last 10 years. Has battery technology gotten more reliable and jumper cables aren't needed anymore?

Yes, with a few caveats. First, is a high quality newer AGM battery. Second, is not leaving accessories on that will drain the battery. Third, is having an electrical system in good condition (no unintended draws).

2) My biggest fear is that I'll leave something turned on and drain my battery overnight. So while I haven't forgotten to turn anything off in the last 10 years it could happen and make point #1 irrelevant.

Buy a jumper pack. I know that low voltage cutoffs are available although I know nothing of their reliability or cost.

3) Have those "jumper pack" batteries replaced jumper cables? They seem like they'll pack down smaller which is welcome in a Jeep, but will the battery in those end up failing without me knowing since it'll go unused for long periods of time.

Use the jumper pack to charge cell phones, tablets etc occasionally so it sees use and you can monitor its effectiveness.

4) If jumper cables are still a good idea to carry which ones are recommended?

I don't have a brand but the only jumper cables I would buy are 100% copper with high quality clamps and those that meet the criteria are fairly expensive.

Battery packs and 110V chargers work well, but i've had times where they couldn't do the job, but old fashioned cables hooked up to my Diesel truck got stuff started right up. Granted, my cables are super old which means they are thick, heavy, 100% copper, and likely on the more expensive side to find a modern equivalent.

I think cables are still useful. I don't think you need big heavy duty ones. Smaller ones just mean you have to wait a bit to charge the dead battery. I think modern vehicles charge and maintain their batteries much better and that's why they last longer. I have a lipo power pack to charge portable devices camping but that's about it. I consider it a fire hazard and would never leave it in the vehicle where it could cause damage.

Reactions: Trailking
I still have a set of heavy duty cables that I bring with me whenever I go wheeling. I had a set a number of years ago that were real long, and real low gauge cable. I loved them, Someone yanked them out of the rear though when they unzipped my windows late one night:mad:.

The jumper packs can only be used so many times though before they lose a charge, that is why I prefer the cable. I was in a situation where another jeepers battery was bad and it kept killing his jeep when trying to get off the trail. I bet we jumped it 6-7 times before he finally made it to a trailer.

I carry a set and have only needed them once to help a random stranger in the airport parking lot. But they don’t take up enough space to bug me (they are tucked into the passenger seat).

I also have a self-jumper that I carry on any self supported trips.

Reactions: inkedrose
I carry this lithium ion jump pack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPIC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

91QeQxZB5hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also carry an old set of heavy duty jumper cables in my trail box - as back up in case the Noco fails (which it hasn't, knock on wood) but these days primarily in case I need to rig an emergency welder with two 12v starting batteries.

Depending on your needs. I carry both cables and a battery pack. I manage a hotel and I get guests coming to the desk staff looking for a jump multiple times a week. My go to to help them out is my battery pack but because I use it so often I might forget to recharge it. In that case my cables are my back-up, which I've resorted to a few times.

I carry a high capacity Microstart XP10 and it works really well on every vehicle I've attached it to. Charged a lot of electronics too. The claim is it will start diesels up to 7.3L. The disadvantage all battery power packs have is they require maintenance and eventuall replacement. Every six months my phone's calendar reminds me to plug it in and top off the charge.
xp-10-micro-start-power-supply-pps.jpg

Reactions: pagrey and jgaz

View attachment 120586

I also carry an old set of heavy duty jumper cables in my trail box - as back up in case the Noco fails (which it hasn't, knock on wood) but these days primarily in case I need to rig an emergency welder with two 12v starting batteries.
@Mr. Bills How long have you owned this jump pack?
How often do you charge it if it hasn’t been used?
Not sure where you live in CA. Does the in car heat seem to affect it?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I carry the same set of 20+ foot, all copper, heavy gauge cables I’ve carried since the late 70’s.
I bought them from a wrecker supply place we used to deal with.

Couldn’t begin to count how many times I’ve used them.

Last edited:
Reactions: alittleoff
I don't think cables will ever be obsolete. They simply work. I have oticed the difference in batteries over the years. It seems that batters used to just get weak and you would notice them cranking slower and it was getting closer to replacement time. It seems like now they just suddenly crap out. Car starts fine one day. Not even a click the next.

@Mr. Bills How long have you owned this jump pack?
How often do you charge it if it hasn’t been used?
Not sure where you live in CA. Does the in car heat seem to affect it?

According to Amazon, I purchased mine on April 27, 2017. I used it once in August 2018, the charge indicator still read 100%, but I recharged it after the jump start because it took a few tries and the charge indicator had dropped to 75%. I used the Noco once or twice after that to charge my cell phone and once to jump start a sports car I purchased in May, then recharged it again at the beginning of summer 2019 even though the charge indicator still read 100%.

Where I live the temperature exceeds 100* an average of 69 consecutive days each summer, with periods of 110*+ temperatures. Winter lows are typically in the low 30's and high 20's.

View attachment 120586

How has it been? I was thinking about getting that one but read some bad reviews and have held off for now.

Same unit pictured in Post #8

Yep! I have another Noco charger that I used for years on my motorcycles with great success, so I figured I would give this one a try when I was looking for some sort of a jump start alternative without actually carrying an old pair of jumper cables.

I have both a Noco 40 and jumper cables. I have used the Noco a couple times when I forgot to turn off lights. I do check every couple months that the Noco is holding a charge.

I just tossed the jumper cables under the passenger seat behind the jack. Figured it is good to have as a back up and doesn't take up much room