Are NTK / NGK O2 Sensors the same?

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
145,000 miles on a 2004 TJ and Check Engine Light comes on. Turn ign. key 3 times and get P0138 code. Am looking to replace all 4 O2 sensors based on the recommendations on this site. Some of the O2 sensors list NTK as the manufacturer and NGK as the brand on the spec. sheet. Here are the questions:
1) Can O2 sensors showing NTK as the manufacturer & NGK as the brand be used with O2 sensors that show NGK as the manufacturer and NGK as the brand?
2) Any issues with the computer receiving the wrong input from the mismatch?
3) Should battery ground be disconnected during replacement?

Thanks in advance. Better safe than sorry.

145,000 miles on a 2004 TJ and Check Engine Light comes on. Turn ign. key 3 times and get P0138 code. Am looking to replace all 4 O2 sensors based on the recommendations on this site. Some of the O2 sensors list NTK as the manufacturer and NGK as the brand on the spec. sheet. Here are the questions:
1) Can O2 sensors showing NTK as the manufacturer & NGK as the brand be used with O2 sensors that show NGK as the manufacturer and NGK as the brand?
2) Any issues with the computer receiving the wrong input from the mismatch?
3) Should battery ground be disconnected during replacement?

Thanks in advance. Better safe than sorry.
All the. same, NGK the parent company was the original supplier, and no reason to disconnect the battery.

Reactions: pagrey
NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd. is the corporation. NTK technical ceramics is a subsidiary.

NGK plugs and NTK O2 sensors are usually how they’re branded/listed. Same corporation…

As many of you are aware we had a lot of rainfall this past week in PA. I drove through several large puddles and later noticed the CEL was on and the code was P0138 indicating an O2 sensor. Being pro-active I am replacing all four but noticed today the CEL cleared. Possible water intrusion into connector bringing this code up?

As many of you are aware we had a lot of rainfall this past week in PA. I drove through several large puddles and later noticed the CEL was on and the code was P0138 indicating an O2 sensor. Being pro-active I am replacing all four but noticed today the CEL cleared. Possible water intrusion into connector bringing this code up?
Very likely, don't be overly pro-active. :)

Very likely, don't be overly pro-active. :)
Jerry, the CEL cleared but when I turn the ign. key three times the code P0138 still comes up. Is there a way to clear it? I've already ordered the new sensors and reason that with 145,000 miles it is the prudent thing to do. As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

Jerry, the CEL cleared but when I turn the ign. key three times the code P0138 still comes up. Is there a way to clear it? I've already ordered the new sensors and reason that with 145,000 miles it is the prudent thing to do. As always, your input is greatly appreciated.
You can clear it by disconnecting the negative battery connector for 3-4 minutes, which will also clear out your radio presets. You might also try flushing the O2 sensor connectors out with WD-40 which is highly effective at getting rid of moisture... which is what it was developed for in the first place.

With 145K miles yeah replacing the O2 sensors is a good idea but make darned sure to ONLY order either NTK or NGK O2 sensors. Don't use any other brand like Bosch, they will just cause problems.

You can clear it by disconnecting the negative battery connector for 3-4 minutes, which will also clear out your radio presets. You might also try flushing the O2 sensor connectors out with WD-40 which is highly effective at getting rid of moisture... which is what it was developed for in the first place.

With 145K miles yeah replacing the O2 sensors is a good idea but make darned sure to ONLY order either NTK or NGK O2 sensors. Don't use any other brand like Bosch, they will just cause problems.
Thanks Jerry. Ordered all NTK sensors per another thread this site. Bank 1, Sensor 1 = NTK 23137 Bank 1, Sensor 2 = NTK 23132 Bank 2, Sensor 1 = NTK 23135 Bank 2, Sensor 2 = 23531. Already have the TEKTON O2 sensor socket and have been soaking base of sensors with Kroil. Any tricks to getting these loose?

Don't use the slotted sensor socket to remove the O2 sensors, it's only meant for installing new sensors. Its slot weakens the socket enough that it can open enough to slip around old existing sensors that are usually seized in place. I use a 7/8 box end wrench or if that won't fit a deep socket. The existing sensors are often VERY tight. Cut the wiring off the old sensors first so the box end and socket will fit over the sensor.

Reactions: JMT
Okay I have a 02 tj with 186000 mi I am getting a p0175 code I can clear it drive it to work 40miles one way country driving no codes for maybe 2 days then it comes back up. I have replaced all 4 sensors with ngk sensors that I got from reading this forum. I have replaced the plugs , coil pack. Checked for cracked manifold. This is getting old any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for listening

Don't use the slotted sensor socket to remove the O2 sensors, it's only meant for installing new sensors. Its slot weakens the socket enough that it can open enough to slip around old existing sensors that are usually seized in place. I use a 7/8 box end wrench or if that won't fit a deep socket. The existing sensors are often VERY tight. Cut the wiring off the old sensors first so the box end and socket will fit over the sensor.
So what happens if you cant get the O2,s out and you have already cut the wires?

Thanks Jerry. I stayed away from the one you warned against; got this one instead. https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-x-7-8-inch-offset-6-point-oxygen-sensor-socket-47749

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks Jerry. I stayed away from the one you warned against; got this one instead. https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-x-7-8-inch-offset-6-point-oxygen-sensor-socket-47749
Ok but you may need to use a 1/2" ratchet wrench via a 3/8" adapter with that. I doubt you'll be able to break them free with only a 3/8 ratchet wrench. As said above old O2 are usually seized into place and TIGHT.

I once had to weld a long extension onto a 7/8" box end wrench to get enough extra leverage to be able to break it free.

Ok but you may need to use a 1/2" ratchet wrench via a 3/8" adapter with that. I doubt you'll be able to break them free with only a 3/8 ratchet wrench. As said above old O2 are usually seized into place and TIGHT.

I once had to weld a long extension onto a 7/8" box end wrench to get enough extra leverage to be able to break it free.
Thanks again Jerry. Any danger of busting out the weldolet on the cat body using this much torque?