Are the front seats on a 99 TJ supposed to lift and pull forward?

darkmavis

Are the front seats in a 1999 TJ supposed to tilt and pull forward by the loop on the upper side of the seat?

Only after you tilt the seat forward. Once you do that you can grab the loop, pull on it, and the seat will tilt forward.

ok, I suppose I need to grease under the seat or troubleshoot a little further, I can not get the seats to tilt forward without reaching under them and and pushing the release down

Some flip easier than others. A squirt of lithium grease and getting the proper technique to it and they will pop up and forward easily. 👍

ok, I suppose I need to grease under the seat or troubleshoot a little further, I can not get the seats to tilt forward without reaching under them and and pushing the release down

The cables between the loop on the side of the seat and the under-seat lever often break. Mine have, so I just reach under and operate the lever paddle by hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
Only the passenger seat and not all TJs come with the flip-forward seat even on the passenger side. It'd be nice if the driver's side seat did that too but I am pretty sure that it never came with that ability.

Only the passenger seat and not all TJs come with the flip-forward seat even on the passenger side. It'd be nice if the driver's side seat did that too but I am pretty sure that it never came with that ability.

My driver side flips forward. I can't say if it is original or not though as the seats have different upholstery on them. I too have to reach under both seats to be able to use the flip forward function. I have to flip my driver seat up in order to get to the bolts to remove the seat.

In my early '98 Sport, both seat bases tilt forward.

Makes access to the back much easier when you can slide forward, tilt the base forward, and tilt the seat back forward.

'05, and both side slide and flip but with age there is a piece of metal which bends blocking the flip function, I fix mine once every year or two.

Not sure if you have to pull the seat to do it but pulling the seat and flipping it over makes it easier to figure out what's bent.

Sometimes sliding the seat all the way forward first, then flipping it up works easier.

06. Both seats flip forward. Both appear stock. Cables work on both sides. I think this was rarely using the back seat.

yup my 2006 LJ has the tilt forward on both sides. I too have to operate manually as I installed aftermarket seats. Tried to make a new handle for it from my buddies 3D printer...but didnt work

My 99' had both sides flipped. And then I put in 03-06 seats and they both flip as well. I will say the passenger is a bit of a pain to get flipped. I don't know what is wrong. But it acts like a roller is out of round or something. It's catching on something before it will flip. If you rock it hard it will flip though.

My 99' had both sides flipped. And then I put in 03-06 seats and they both flip as well. I will say the passenger is a bit of a pain to get flipped. I don't know what is wrong. But it acts like a roller is out of round or something. It's catching on something before it will flip. If you rock it hard it will flip though.
Try some silicon lube where it hinges forward Worked wonders for me

Last edited: