Are these shitty control arms?

loco1122

These look like a banging deal although they seem shitty I can save so much and I only drive offroad on the weekends like every month not crazy just messing around in the mud . Would you get this or no they are not good because if they went bad I would have to replace the whole arm and I cant grease it any recommendations on 33 inch tires

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=273646630705

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
For your needs, they'll be just fine.

EDIT: Didn't see the sentence about your intended use for them. Since you're not doing anything big off-road, they'll get the job done.

Last edited:
At the price of those Tier Three's, you're only $200 away from the price of a full set (upper and lower, front and rear) of bona fide Currie Johnny Joint control arms which are pretty much the gold standard. Also, the Currie's have johnny Joints on both ends (where applicable) whereas the Tier Three's only have them on one end (assuming they are even real Johnny Joints; which I doubt).

Their "guarantee" isn't really worth that much either because it's not about breaking them (anybody here ever actually break a half decent control arm?), it's about them wearing out and becoming sloppy (and/or noisy). My advice is to go with a reputable brand name with a good history and, as @Chris said, do it once and be done.

Reactions: tworley and KCsTJ
I have heard great things about Core 4x4, but I’d go tier 4 in order to get the Johnny Joints at both ends.

However, at that price point, you might as well get the Currie Double Adjustable Control Arms (Core doesn’t offer double adjustable).

These look like a banging deal although they seem shitty I can save so much and I only drive offroad on the weekends like every month not crazy just messing around in the mud . Would you get this or no they are not good because if they went bad I would have to replace the whole arm and I cant grease it any recommendations on 33 inch tires

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=273646630705
I'd give them a shot. For what you do or say you do, what else do you need? Worst, put some new Clevite bushings in them every couple of years and go have fun. 50 bucks an arm roughly and half is bushings, I don't see a downside here for your needs.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
At the price of those Tier Three's, you're only $200 away from the price of a full set (upper and lower, front and rear) of bona fide Currie Johnny Joint control arms which are pretty much the gold standard. Also, the Currie's have johnny Joints on both ends (where applicable) whereas the Tier Three's only have them on one end (assuming they are even real Johnny Joints; which I doubt).

Their "guarantee" isn't really worth that much either because it's not about breaking them (anybody here ever actually break a half decent control arm?), it's about them wearing out and becoming sloppy (and/or noisy). My advice is to go with a reputable brand name with a good history and, as @Chris said, do it once and be done.
Using that logic, he's only a few grand away from buying a TJ Unlimited and owning the gold standard of TJ's.

He started looking at a 200 dollar set of 4 arms and within moments everyone has him spending 6 times as much? WTF??

This is what happens when you spend too much time on this forum, it just snowballs. I started wanting a ruff country lift, was told not to do it and install a zone lift, which I’m happy with. But then it started. I wanted a jks front track bar, savvy shifter cable, then my brakes took a shit from the extra weight of the tires and I ordered me Blaine’s black Magic brakes, and now I got Currie arms coming, and before u know it you turn into Chris!

This is what happens when you spend too much time on this forum, it just snowballs. I started wanting a ruff country lift, was told not to do it and install a zone lift, which I’m happy with. But then it started. I wanted a jks front track bar, savvy shifter cable, then my brakes took a shit from the extra weight of the tires and I ordered me Blaine’s black Magic brakes, and now I got Currie arms coming, and before u know it you turn into Chris!
Folks should understand that not everyone has the same needs and offering a pat set of solutions based on biased groupthink will eventually diminish the forum's value.

Definitely something I struggle with. I want to build to handle obstacles I'll probably never see, but I don't wheel all too much. It's hard to decide what's good quality and will last with moderate use, but may not hold up through extended abuse. I don't do any serious offroading all too much, so my wants extend my needs.

I could save up the money to buy top notch parts, but do I need them? I don't want to compromise but it seems like overkill to build a top notch rig to ride some mountain trails in GA. Anyway, I definitely understand the struggle between what's good and what's necessary.

Reactions: DrDmoney and DuncLJ
Back on topic: @loco1122 , do you have a lift to go with your 33 inch tires? If you don't have a lift, then might as well just stick with the stock arms. If you do have a lift, then the first set of arms you asked about would be a step up from stock. If you plan future upgrades (more lift, bigger tires, etc), then by all means go for Currie arms. Whatever you do, stay away from anything with poly bushings. I literally just went through all of this on my own. I looked through all the eGhey, Amazon, RC, RE, RK, Currie, Synergy, Savvy, Core and cheap Chinese arms I could find and I ended up getting the Curries yesterday. I thought about Savvy but they're aluminum and I just don't feel comfortable with that. For all the rest, you can definitely spend less money (or even lots more) but you can't beat a Currie arm. $355 on Amazon, delivered to my house in time for this weekend's adventure. It was a tough decision and a hard pill to swallow but I'm building my rig to play with and I didn't want to half-ass it and have to buy another set of arms in the future.