Are these the same relays?

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to find a replacement relay for some lights. I have included a picture of my current relay and a picture of a readily available one. They are slightly different. My current one does not have a “slash” through the box that represents the coil between pins 85 & 86.

Most of the ones I am finding have the “slash”. Does that “slash” actually represent something or is just a different representation of the same thing?

JD1914 Relay Socket 12V 40A Universal Vehicle Motor Fuse Switch Power Multi-Purpose Heavy Duty Standard

IMG_0792.jpeg

The box between contacts 85 and 86 is the electromagnet coil that activates the switch mechanism for the other three contacts.

The box between contacts 85 and 86 is the electromagnet coil that activates the switch mechanism for the other three contacts.

Right, I understand the box symbolizes the coil and what the coil does. I just want to be 100% certain that the slash through it doesn’t also symbolize something.

The box is just a different picture of the exact same function and action. Both relays do the exact same thing. Use either one for the exact same function.

Right, I understand the box symbolizes the coil and what the coil does. I just want to be 100% certain that the slash through it doesn’t also symbolize something.

Both are JD1914 relays rated for 12 volts and 40 amps.