Are TJ's notorious for even tire wear?

Bird

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently spent a rainy day rotating tires....wife's car, daughters cars.

I use a homemade depth gauge for sharpening chain saws.
My TJ is showing completely even tire wear after 2 years.

Only vehicle I've owned that had this kind of tire wear....no tire rotation required at this point. Odd

Id say your TJ is in great shape alignment wise.

My passenger rear wears out much faster than the others.

Reactions: Bird
I wonder if it is because of the solid axle with minimal adjustments? Unlike IFS, they are either right or wrong and still the same angles(?) on each side. If that makes sense.

Reactions: billiebob
Could be.

On every vehicle I've owned there always seemed to be a tire wearing faster than the others or fronts wearing faster than rears but surprisingly not experienced either.

Id say your TJ is in great shape alignment wise.

My passenger rear wears out much faster than the others.
Wow, sounds like you're in good shape! My rears wear faster than the front.
Gas it much? Lol, just kidding. I had a Camaro where the passenger side rear tire would last about three burnouts. Put posi in it and both rears would last about a weekend. Tried a bunch of stuff and never could get the rear end to stick.

TJ's are cool, in that they are one of the rare "cars" that are pretty balanced. The weight distrubution is pretty close to a Corvette's front mid engine design.

Reactions: billiebob and KCsTJ
Wow, sounds like you're in good shape! My rears wear faster than the front.
Mine used too wear the rears faster than the front. But then i got old and stopped spinning my wheels.

In all honesty that is very strange for the rears to wear out faster than the front. The fronts have more weight on them. And the turn and grind on the pavement. Also more breaking occurs in the front tires. One could argue it doesn't make a difference however I still think it wears them down when you're breaking.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Don’t get me wrong, the rear tires don’t wear out that much faster, maybe just a bit. However I rotate them often enough that it’s not that noticeable.

Reactions: Boinked and StG58
Even wear front and rear here. The fronts cross to the rear and the rears go straight forward. With the next rotation I'll be following the rearward cross pattern due to the new spare

My TJ is showing completely even tire wear after 2 years.
3 sets of tires on my TJ, 3 sets plus on my YJ, I never rotated them. All 4 wear out together.
I'm betting few of us drag race,,,, unless we have a supercharger. And few of us go canyon carving.... in a lifted TJ on MTs.

Reactions: Bird
I found out the newest JKs with all the traction control, brake differential, ... shit cannot handle any difference in diameter. New tires on 2 wheels, and 2 worn out tires will cause the "traction control" to try and equalize the rotations full time.

I found out the newest JKs with all the traction control, brake differential, ... shit cannot handle any difference in diameter. New tires on 2 wheels, and 2 worn out tires will cause the "traction control" to try and equalize the rotations full time.
Now THAT'S gotta suck. ...and effect fuel economy. So the traction control isn't adaptive? It doesn't sense and adjust for minor wear? No way to adjust the "bias" in the system to be less sensitive?