Arizona Rock Crawler

One side done today. Works been insanely busy lately which is awesome but making it difficult to get Jeep stuff done
E4319494-E86B-4B0A-B11C-36A8105D41CB.jpeg

It’s monsoon season so not really. This was just a really really bad dust storm. 70+mph winds at least
You are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. Apparently you did not live here in the 50's 60's and maybe later. We always had real dust storms. Monsoons are a contrived word from the weather man. We never had them in those years and the word comes from overseas where they actually occur.

You are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. Apparently you did not live here in the 50's 60's and maybe later. We always had real dust storms. Monsoons are a contrived word from the weather man. We never had them in those years and the word comes from overseas where they actually occur.
Correct, a 27 y/o did not live there in the 50’s or 60’s.

I
know when my son was going to school in Tucson the monsoons came almost everyday and the lightning came about the same time everyday also during the season

If you want to believe the weather man go right ahead. I have always complained about weather men and one time my secretary said to me how would like to work for someone that lied to you ever single day?

If you are told by the weather person there is a 10% chance of rail every day for 10 days it should have rained one day. The odds of that happening here in Phoenix area is a lie and does not happen.

When a weather man says there is a 10% chance of rain he is stating that 10% of the area that he is reporting on will see rain. The weather is different here in the South East compared to where I grew up in Oregon. Here, I have walked down the tarmac of an airport with it in a downpour five feet to my side while I walked all the way to the hanger and never got wet. An isolated storm means just that here. One thing they always get right and accurate is the temperature :unsure:

I think you're confusing the word "haboob" with "monsoon" (which itself is an Arabic-derived word). The North American Monsoon (aka "Mexican Monsoon") has been common in the Sonoran Desert and closely related basins for at least 40,000 years. It has been going on long enough to allow specific species of flora and fauna to evolve around said patterns.

Also, 'dust storms' are different than a 'haboob'. Dust storms, like the ones that occurred during the dust bowl and in flatter, plains states, are from surface winds. Phoenix rarely has a true "dust storm".

On the other hand, a haboob is typically caused by the lifting/collapsing cells of a thunderstorm. What happens in the Phoenix valley during monsoon season is almost always contributed to thunderstorm cells, so thus the term haboob is more apt (despite salty old boomer preferences) :)

It's okay to use Arabic words to describe natural phenomena, weather, etc. - they're hardly "contrived" and no one will jihad you for using them, I promise ;) I mean, you'll likely drink 'coffee' and use 'shampoo' at some point today - two other Arabic derived words. You're already using Arabic numbers and maybe even do some 'algebra' from time to time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: starkey480
When a weather man says there is a 10% chance of rain he is stating that 10% of the area that he is reporting on will see rain.
That's close but is only 1/2 of the equation I believe...

If I remember correctly from the Weather & Climatology class many moons ago at ASU (which was a surprisingly enjoyable prerequisite for a 500-level Groundwater and Stormwater Management & Remediation class), the "chance of rain %" is equal to both the reporting area but also the POP (Probability of Precipitation).

It's something like Rain% = POP% x Reporting Area% affected. So something like a 50% POP x a 20% Coverage Area% = 10% chance of rain. If I'm remembering it correct, I believe this model applies to frontal rain or is somehow modified for thunderstorm %s (I'd have to dig out my old notes or check a reference page to be certain).