At a loss with death wobble

Lucky!

I know there are a million threads on this but normal culprits have been ruled out. Track bar is relatively new and bolts are exceptionally snug. Bearings are both solid and checked by mechanic as well. Stabilizer generally doesn’t come into too much play but also solid and relatively new. The only thing that isn’t relatively new is the upper and lower steering shaft wondering if the bearing on the lower shaft that is attached to the fender wall could be the issue. Tried shaking it by hand, doesn’t really move. Happened at usual speed of around 30 to 40 mph.

I assume you've done a dry steering test to see if something is moving that's not supposed to be moving? That typically finds the bulk of these issues.

Reactions: Tob and Artsifrtsi
Thanks. I have done the dry test but the tires haven’t been balanced since I bought it, Have appointment for early next week to have them done along with an alignment.

Reactions: Danarch and Ante_Up
The control arms upper and lower are also relatively new. When I bought the Jeep about a year ago, the frame, engine and body were in great shape but needed work on most of the components so they have been replaced. This is why I’m a little stumped, I’m hopeful that the last piece to the puzzle is the tires.

Reactions: Ante_Up
I'm having the same issue. I'm hoping to pull it into the garage next week. My neighbor said he'll come over and turn the steering wheel for me. A walk around the jeep and all of the wheel weights seem to be in place.😕

When I first bought my LJ about 2.5 years ago I had a bad vibration. It had chrome 16s on it and I wanted to move to 15s and go black so I bought some cheap steelies and some 31s and gave the tires and wheels to someone else. They in turn installed them on their TJ and they developed the same balance issue.
Now I work at a Toyota dealership so I had the ability to balance the original tire wheel set up but could not get a satisfactory ride with the original setup and I checked the tire wheel and forced matched but could not fix.
I fixed mine with new tires and wheels....
Just food for thought

I’ll keep everyone posted. I drop the car off on Tuesday. Fingers crossed, It’s just balance issues.

Ok. Now really at a loss. Tires we’re really out balance. Went for a ride with newly balanced tires and the steering wheel was shaking like never before. Had to pull into a gas station about 200 yards from the tire place and walk home. Totally unsafe. Checked the tires to make sure the weights were on just in case they forgot but they were there.

Ok. Now really at a loss. Tires we’re really out balance. Went for a ride with newly balanced tires and the steering wheel was shaking like never before. Had to pull into a gas station about 200 yards from the tire place and walk home. Totally unsafe. Checked the tires to make sure the weights were on just in case they forgot but they were there.

They screwed up mounting them or their machine is out of balance.
I've had that happen twice.

Why did you walk home and not back to the shop?

Also, not sure how you would know if a weight was supposed to be on your tire or not. :unsure:

Reactions: Yasha
It’s a main road so got up to 30+ pretty quick. That’s when it started, violently. I only mentioned the weights becuz it happened to me a few years ago. New tires and the kid forgot to balance them.

First tires have to be dead right. Period. Tires have belts break and all sorts if drama.

Rotation can help you see the problem at times.

If you have new arms, most likely you still do not have new bushings in the front axle upper - that means all the energy is transferred there - a 5/8” toe out test can reveal that.

There is no pat answer but most death wobble is pretty basic stuff- balance, connections.

There are some freaky situations but those are outliers.