At a loss with death wobble

My basic understanding - tire balance problem occurs at a specific, constant speed and if you drop slightly below that speed it goes away, but death wobble won't go away until you slow down a lot. Not so?

Andy

My basic understanding - tire balance problem occurs at a specific, constant speed and if you drop slightly below that speed it goes away, but death wobble won't go away until you slow down a lot. Not so?

Andy

Pretty close. Tire imbalance is usually noticeable within a 5-10 mph range of speed. Death wobble does often require slowing down to 20 mph or slower to allow the vibration dissipate.

Reactions: AndyA
You are mistaken Sir. DW is USUALLY caused by unbalanced tires. There MAY be other problems, but even if you had a completely rebuilt suspension with new everything, and your tires were not balanced properly, you'll get DW.

I got DW when my steering stabilizer started to leak. Replacing it got rid of it.

Started getting DW another time and the axle end of the front track bar was loose. Tightened it and problem solved.

Had .9oz fall off my passenger front wheel a couple weeks ago. No DW. Nothing.

Whos mistaken now?

You and Tob are saying the same thing, but only one of you is being condescending 😃

20230830_114815.jpg

Andy

Yes and maybe.

If it happens consistently at a certain speed, you can stay out of that window and you can avoid DW. Stay under or accelerate past the speed it happens and you can avoid it. Its easier to play that game with an automatic. With a manual my luck always seems to be that that speed is at a shift point so its not as easy to drive through it.

All DW isn't the same. Sometimes you can slow down. Sometimes you may have to nearly come to a stop. Sometimes you can accelerate through it if you catch it early enough and get it to go away with more speed. Sometimes it wont happen. Sometimes its a random combination of all that 😃

Though I've never experienced DW in my TJ, I did have it once in my '79 CJ7. I'm talking about Scared Enough to Almost Crap Myself DW. I got the tires balanced and it never did it again.

Setting the difference in suspension linkage between a CJ and TJ aside, perhaps your CJ never saw a disturbance large enough (road, imbalance, or otherwise) to trigger death wobble again.

You and Tob are saying the same thing…

Not quite. I am saying that death wobble can occur with perfectly balanced tires, and that unbalanced tires can cause a shimmy without causing death wobble.

The key difference here is how secure the suspension and steering linkages are and whether they have enough slop to allow death wobble to occur or not.

Reactions: Rickyd
Setting the difference in suspension linkage between a CJ and TJ aside, perhaps your CJ never saw a disturbance large enough (road, imbalance, or otherwise) to trigger death wobble again.

Not quite.

Well between his hypotheticals, and yours, its kind of a wash.

You are probably most correct because your post count is higher than CJ mans 😃

Okay. You win.

My most favorite thing about death wobble and death wobble discussions is that any given point in time anyone can be deadly accurate and 100% wrong practically in the same breath. If anyone doubts that, just go study up on gyroscopic precession on YouTube and see just how much force we are dealing with. Once you get a handle on that, come back and make a prediction, any prediction and you can be both right and wrong. Fascinating to see how it works.

Reactions: psrivats
My most favorite thing about death wobble and death wobble discussions is that any given point in time anyone can be deadly accurate and 100% wrong practically in the same breath. If anyone doubts that, just go study up on gyroscopic precession on YouTube and see just how much force we are dealing with. Once you get a handle on that, come back and make a prediction, any prediction and you can be both right and wrong. Fascinating to see how it works.

I think we finally have a winner for the issue with the shaking. My future son-in-law is a mechanic. He replaced those Ling Long tires with new name brand tires today. The balance was still off by 6 oz on two rims. He said it’s not the tires but the rims. He took a video while on the machine, I’ll ask him for it but pretty clear no matter what tire goes on these rims, I’m gonna have an issue. Any suggestions for a good website for rims?

I think we finally have a winner for the issue with the shaking. My future son-in-law is a mechanic. He replaced those Ling Long tires with new name brand tires today. The balance was still off by 6 oz on two rims. He said it’s not the tires but the rims. He took a video while on the machine, I’ll ask him for it but pretty clear no matter what tire goes on these rims, I’m gonna have an issue. Any suggestions for a good website for rims?

EVERY website has rims, though we tend to call them wheels here. It all comes down to what you want and how much you're willing to pay for them. Go to any automotive or tire website and see what looks good to you. And when you get them, we want pics.

tires disintegrate in a couple years and can readily contribute to problems… even though treads look good, inside could be breaking down / separating

Last edited:
tires disintegrate in a couple years and can readily contribute to problems… even though treads look good, inside could be breaking down / separating

Date on sidewall is 0521. Those were replaced with new/this year date tires. Definitely wheels causing issue according to mechanic/future son in law, but replacing both regardless.

I had this happen one time. I hit a bump and the steering wheel about broke my wrist. Only the lady that washes my clothes and myself knew the immediate outcome.

Tire balancing took care of it.

I had this happen one time. I hit a bump and the steering wheel about broke my wrist. Only the lady that washes my clothes and myself knew the immediate outcome.

Tire balancing took care of it.

As promised pic of new wheels and tires. Drives solid, no wobble so far. Installing adjustable track bar (front and back) next. Jeep is lifted so oem bars causing slight shift in axle to passenger side.

View attachment 461104

IMG_2512.jpeg