Audio Upgrade - 98 TJ

I put just polyfil in the sound bar and that space worked well to keep it more compact. However in the dash, there is more space and I felt that the baffle helped contain the polyfil therefore feeling like it would achieve the outcome better. The baffles were fairly cheap if I recall like 3-5 bucks.
Awesome. Thanks for your help! I'll grab some baffles for the front and polyfill the sound bar!

I put just polyfil in the sound bar and that space worked well to keep it more compact. However in the dash, there is more space and I felt that the baffle helped contain the polyfil therefore feeling like it would achieve the outcome better. The baffles were fairly cheap if I recall like 3-5 bucks.
OK - makes sense...I might still go with the 3.5 inch on the dash and line the baffle with some extra sound deadener like dynamat to really beef it up.

Your welcome. On a side note, the audio guy said that if I wasn’t happy with the sound after changing out the front and sound bar speakers , that adding a tweeter to the dash would improve it all the more. Like the one below(there are cheaper ones)I’m happy with the sound for now, but the true verdict will be out when the top and doors are off. I might add those to pull the sound up more. They are installed on the dash in the left and right hand corners.
1813C9B9-EF5C-42FC-9C8F-8B979F6FBA53.jpeg

Good
OK - makes sense...I might still go with the 3.5 inch on the dash and line the baffle with some extra sound deadener like dynamat to really beef it up.
good luck! Because of the position of the front speakers, I don’t hear a lot from them because of the angle the sound is traveling. That’s where the tweeters helps give you a well rounded sound. But the quality coming out is MUCH better than the stock speakers .

[QUOTE="Kathy, post: 146826, member: 3400"
good luck! Because of the position of the front speakers, I don’t hear a lot from them because of the angle the sound is traveling. That’s where the tweeters helps give you a well rounded sound. But the quality coming out is MUCH better than the stock speakers .[/QUOTE]

I know they suck, that is why I am willing to try additional steps...to put tweeters on dash or even the pod I would buy the component speakers from crutchfield that come with the cross over and all.

Reactions: Kathy
Your welcome. On a side note, the audio guy said that if I wasn’t happy with the sound after changing out the front and sound bar speakers , that adding a tweeter to the dash would improve it all the more. Like the one below(there are cheaper ones)I’m happy with the sound for now, but the true verdict will be out when the top and doors are off. I might add those to pull the sound up more. They are installed on the dash in the left and right hand corners. View attachment 34534
Agreed. Added some to mine, made a big difference.
P1b-fSj__XwQtqQ0crd-YzCj698ccPPUW2rSAaFzQWfhlevGFbt9jPASrBnAbErcEG5MSqJ0BOF-xKfsEM=w1133-h637-no.jpg

Reactions: Kathy
Agreed. Added some to mine, made a big difference.
View attachment 34545
That is exactly where I would put them if I were installing them. Stick them on with the good 3M automotive tape (not the thick foamy stuff) and they will never move until you want them to. I totally can see the benefit of the components in/on the front dash. But don't really see enough of a gain to be had installing components in the roll bar. The tweet and mid/woofer will be so close together that you might as well install a coax speaker and keep it simple...

Reactions: bobthetj03
I got my speakers from Crutchfield. They also give you adapters for wiring and if need for mounting. Highly recommend them. I went with JBL in my TJ. Nice sound improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good info here but I have a little more to share. My Jeep is a 2006 with the premium sound that was not so premium when I bought the Jeep. No aux inputs in the stock deck just a horrible FM modulator and a non op CD and non op Sirius.

I do lots of boat stereos with similar challenges as a Jeep. I didn’t want an amp even though I know it really needs one. Instead I opted for the highest power in-dash unit I could find, Sony MEX XB100BT. For the dash I went with the Polks and replaced the speakers in the factory roll bar with 6.5” Polk db651. The factory sub still works but really just adds lots of distortion so I have to do some work on it next. The factory sub amp needs to go. I will probably replace the factory sub speaker with an aftermarket speaker and wire it to a dedicated external mini sub amp. The ARC KS500.1 sub amp should fit under the driver seat or under the steering column. If you don’t have a sub in the console I’d recommend a small powered sub like the MTX RT8PT to toss behind the driver seat.

I am also planning to add the tweeters but I will probably mount them facing straight up close to the glass. Glass reflects high frequency sound very well this is why most car companies mount speakers facing up on the dash.

This will probably get your Jeep sounding as good as it can sound without adding big wakeboard tower speakers, big sub boxes, and big amps. Those things gobble lots of power and space, neither are available in abundance with a Jeep...

I just put Polk DB 522s in the dash and sound bar. Nice sale at Crutchfield. Way superior to the anemic stock speakers. Clean and crisp sound. I'd like to add a decent but relatively inexpensive powered sub if anyone has recommendations. I run the soft top year round, so I don't expect great acoustics, just audible in the wind.
OP: not trying to hijack the thread, a powered sub may be a good idea for your situation too.

Reactions: mde8965 and Cole
I was thinking the db651 for the roll bar also how easy did they go in? what speaker did you use in the dash?..I am going this route also, amped sub...if I can get away with just my sony head unit I will or else amp everything else

I was thinking the db651 for the roll bar also how easy did they go in? what speaker did you use in the dash?..I am going this route also, amped sub...if I can get away with just my sony head unit I will or else amp everything else

The 6.5s go in the roll bar pods very easily. The grills just sit on top instead of recessed. I didn’t even need to cut a larger hole, they just dropped right in. I’ve also seen guys put 6x9s in the roll bar pods but they need to be thin and light like the MB Quart composite frame speakers with small neodymium magnets.

The 6.5s go in the roll bar pods very easily. The grills just sit on top instead of recessed. I didn’t even need to cut a larger hole, they just dropped right in. I’ve also seen guys put 6x9s in the roll bar pods but they need to be thin and light like the MB Quart composite frame speakers with small neodymium magnets.

Obviously you will need to cut open the pods for 6x9s.