Automatic transmission cooling lines

Be very careful when routing the rubber cooling lines. Thought I had mine routed with plenty of clearance but it apparently shifted and one day came too close to the exhaust, melted the line, trans fluid sprayed onto the hot exhaust and it ended up being a very bad day...

• Sad
Reactions: Captainchad
Be very careful when routing the rubber cooling lines. Thought I had mine routed with plenty of clearance but it apparently shifted and one day came too close to the exhaust, melted the line, trans fluid sprayed onto the hot exhaust and it ended up being a very bad day...

The suggestion is not to use rubber lines all the way from the transmission to the cooler. It is to only replace the short section of rubber line that goes from the end of the steel lines to the steel barbed section on the cooler.

The suggestion is not to use rubber lines all the way from the transmission to the cooler. It is to only replace the short section of rubber line that goes from the end of the steel lines to the steel barbed section on the cooler.
My Transmission lines are metal from the transmission to just about the front of the oil pan then they go to rubber hoses. I am talking about replacing that small section of hose. It might be like a foot and a half long. Its the one attached with a zip tie to the underside of the Cooling schroud.

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
My Transmission lines are metal from the transmission to just about the front of the oil pan then they go to rubber hoses. I am talking about replacing that small section of hose. It might be like a foot and a half long. Its the one attached with a zip tie to the underside of the Cooling schroud.

Yes, exactly!

Yes, exactly!
Its funny cause it had a small leak and so thinking I could fix it easy I tried to tighten up the clamp but that didn't work so thinking the hose may have a crack I just cut a small section off but now its leaking more than before. Hose also feels like it is to large for the barb. I think maybe a new section of hose might fix the issue.

Ok. Just a little follow up. So after replacing the rubber hose I still had a leak and it was getting worse each time I worked on it. I happened to notice the barb out of the radiator was lose independent of the nut that tightens it all down. I tightened that up and no more leaking. Just something to look for. Might help someone else out one day.

Looking to confirm, 3/8" id transmission line from the steel (alum) lines coming out of the transmission to the bottom of the radiator. Have a leak at the radiator end on one, what to replace the hoses and the clamps.

Would also appreciate if anyone knows what size constant tension band clamps would go on those hoses, never know if they should be same size as the od of the hose or smaller - ??. Have regular hose clamps on there now and I hate those clamps.

2001 TJ 32RH 3-speed auto trans, stock radiator using stock radiator cooling for trans

Looking to confirm, 3/8" id transmission line from the steel (alum) lines coming out of the transmission to the bottom of the radiator. Have a leak at the radiator end on one, what to replace the hoses and the clamps.

Would also appreciate if anyone knows what size constant tension band clamps would go on those hoses, never know if they should be same size as the od of the hose or smaller - ??. Have regular hose clamps on there now and I hate those clamps.

2001 TJ 32RH 3-speed auto trans, stock radiator using stock radiator cooling for trans

its 3/8" line. Measure the OD of the tubing and buy that size clamp. They expand and contract so that the OD size of the clamp should be approximately in the middle of their "range."

Reactions: LJBean and AZSobo
its 3/8" line. Measure the OD of the tubing and buy that size clamp. They expand and contract so that the OD size of the clamp should be approximately in the middle of their "range."

I made the mistake of calling it line, I meant hose, transmission oil cooler hose to be exact - same size?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going w/ MDM transmission lines. Hope they are good!
I just spoke with the folks at MDM (modern day muffler). For an extra 10 or 20 bucks you can get stainless steel lines. They're manufactured to order in Ohio. TJ transmission lines are made to order and the folks there said I should have the lines in about a week.