Automatic transmission cooling lines

One of the hard lines going to the radiator is leaking (at the crimp by the radiator). I would like to replace it, or just remove that short section of hard line.

If I understand your goal correctly...

For the '06 you have the GM type transmission fluid connections at the radiator... I received an 05-06 radiator (ends in AC) from RockAuto when I ordered and AB for my '04... I had to do the same thing you are wanting to do for a different reason (didn't want to return my AC radiator for an AB one).

To remove the short section of hard line and connect to the radiator via barb fitting:

You can use the Hayden 397 Here or the Derale 13035 Here (picture on amazon is wrong for the Derale, it looks just like the Hayden). These adapters will stick into the ports on your 05-06 radiator and allow you to connect a hose the old way (barb and constant tension clamp)

the connectors at the radiator are a bit tricky but a small pick and patience will get them off (don't loose the clip)... but if you do don't worry Dorman replacements are available at most auto parts stores (I know :) )

Also, if you don't have the constant tension clamps you need in "garage stock" I used Hillman 5/8 ones available Here and they seem to hold fine without leaks so far (3 weeks in service)

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I really don't like replacing steel lines with all rubber, too hard to keep routed and retain. If your old steel lines are still good reuse them, I built many hundreds of steel and nickel copper alloy brake, fuel and transmission lines. Advance Auto Parts and some others may stock the nickel copper alloy lines in 5/16, its easier to form looks good and will never corrode at all. A cheap harbor freight hand bender will work + a good double flare tool (not a cheap one a good one) mine is a Craftsman and is a very quality tool. Use the old lines for a pattern.
I mounted my B&M tranny cooler to the braces just behind the grill using rubber lined electrical wire retainers. I also installed a spin on filter on the left front inner fender using a filter base for a Ford filter with a magnet taped to the side of it.

One of the hard lines going to the radiator is leaking (at the crimp by the radiator). I would like to replace it, or just remove that short section of hard line.

You can take a dremel and carefully cut off the crimp at both ends of the hard line (one on radiator side and one on the other side). Remove the old section of rubber hose, then just install a piece of transmission cooling hose with a couple of hose clamps.

Instead of the Hayden 397 that fits into the oem radiator fitting; can someone confirm (or deny) the Hayden 391 replaces it altogether?

Instead of the Hayden 397 that fits into the oem radiator fitting; can someone confirm (or deny) the Hayden 391 replaces it altogether?
I would never attempt to replace the fitting in the lower tank. There is a very high risk that you will not get it to seal back up if you dislodge the heat exchanger ports. Just adapt to what is there.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks! I like the "stacked plate" design over the "tube and fin" design of most of the others out there. I am going to have to get this one.

Any trouble mounting this on your Jeep? Did you have to do any drilling or make modifications?
No it fit right up in the grill just fine. Just know which line is your return line

Thanks, Chief!

What is the difference between your B&M 70264 compared to Thunderhead's B&M 70255?

Just the size and BTU rating. The 70264 is 1-1/2 inches thick with a 14,400 BTU rating and the 70255 is 3/4 inch thick with 9,800 BTU rating. The height and width is the same.

Just the size and BTU rating. The 70264 is 1-1/2 inches thick with a 14,400 BTU rating and the 70255 is 3/4 inch thick with 9,800 BTU rating. The height and width is the same.

I've installed the 70264 in two Jeeps now, along with a transmission temperature gauge. Definitely go with a bigger cooler, like this one, if at all possible. The 70264 fits easily through the driver side headlight bucket hole.

dMRIWRK.jpg

I'm having a similar issue. Rubber hose is leaking at the barb on the Radiator. I have trimmed the hose back a little and now its leaking worse. The hose seems bigger than the barb. I might just replace entire rubber hose. Is this what is recommended? Just Don't want to do the wrong thing.

I'm having a similar issue. Rubber hose is leaking at the barb on the Radiator. I have trimmed the hose back a little and now its leaking worse. The hose seems bigger than the barb. I might just replace entire rubber hose. Is this what is recommended? Just Don't want to do the wrong thing.

Not sure if it is recommended....however it is what I did. I used a dremel and cut off the metal crimp ferrules on each end of the short rubber section, pulled off the old rubber lines, installed new rubber lines with hose clamps.

Reactions: Captainchad