Autozone making a decent thermostat?

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In my research of t stats I stumbled upon this one by autozone. Typically it is recommended on here to stay away from their house brand anything.

But the fact it comes with a jiggle pin was interesting as it is the only T stat I could find locally (stant is now motorad) that has a jiggle pin. But drilling a 1/8” hole in other t stats removed the need for the jiggle pin

Three bridge design is interesting as well, only t stat I’ve seen for our 4.0s that has that. Less or more restrictive to the coolant flow…?

I can’t necessarily recommend it as I haven’t used it but thought some of you may find this useful and wanted to see if I could pass some info along because you all have helped me so much thus far

IMG_3172.jpeg

If you need to buy local I'd go to a NAPA and get their premium/top/best thermostat. I'm done with using any Duralast parts from Autozone, never again. I'll only go to Autozone for things like lubricants and brake cleaner.

Reactions: Bowhunter
If you need to buy local I'd go to a NAPA and get their premium/top/best thermostat. I'm done with using any Duralast parts from Autozone, never again. I'll only go to Autozone for things like lubricants and brake cleaner.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Because of many different story’s like yours and other long time members on here I plan on stay away from autozone, but thought it was an interesting design, possibly similar to OE

While I have you, the existing motorad 195 t stat I pulled out of the jeep seems to open more than any other t stat I’ve tried in boiling water (two napas and two Murray’s from oriellys, I bought the mid and upper level of each).

Would you put the existing t stat back in since it opens more than the others during a boiling water test? Or a new t stat that didn’t open up quite as much in boiling water?

Reason I ask: I’m trying to figure out temp increase to mid 220s on the hwy and I’m staring with a flush, t stat and coolant change to HO5. Cooling system seems to be OE (not sure the age but I don’t think original)

Last edited:
In my opinion they’re all junk, Motorad has taken over Stant , Mopar is now Motorad with a jiggle valve … Stant was always reliable and accurate, these motorads bounce all over the place. Yes, even the Mopar causes an unsteady needle. However I never had a Motorad fail.

Just stay away from a fail safe, thes have a habit of “failing” open by its own design.