Average cost of ownership for TJs?

Haha, I won't argue with you there.

However, I'm not sure moving is in the cards for most people ;)
"Honey, pack the kids . This place is eating my Rubicons' undercarriage ....if you're bent on staying here with your job and all , I guess I'll have to do what's best for the TJ. "

Perfect solution.....Subaru 😁

Yes indeed. I love a nice Subaru for winter weather!

"Honey, pack the kids . This place is eating my Rubicons' undercarriage ....if you're bent on staying here with your job and all , I guess I'll have to do what's best for the TJ. "

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. "Sorry babe, but this state just isn't going to work out for my undercarriage, we're going to need to move. Got to do what's best for the Jeep, you know how it is."

:ROFLMAO:

Yes indeed. I love a nice Subaru for winter weather!

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. "Sorry babe, but this state just isn't going to work out for my undercarriage, we're going to need to move. Got to do what's best for the Jeep, you know how it is."

:ROFLMAO:
Available Nice Rubicon's - maybe less than 20,000

Available Nice Women - millions

‘“How much has it costed me to own my Tj?” Initial cost of my very clean stock ‘02 was $9500.00, first trip to my mechanic was almost 800.00 [full check out, new starter, lub and oil change, wheel rebalance, tune up, brake line and hose replacement], $$? stuff I’ve bought from quadratec and napa, 500.00 for very nice nice matching hard half doors, 300.00 for undercoat, 4000.00 for my half cab conversion, 600.00 for my second trip to my mechanic for O2 sensor and joust installs. My heavy duty tonneau cost about 400.00. I still want to repaint her before the years out for about 2000.00. Would love to upgrade my seats. But then I’m done. Unless something breaks. My aluminum rims will get installed when I replace my almost new tires. They ride too nice to muck with them now. I’m enjoying the build, doing what I can hiring out the rest. Spending my sons inheritance. Hell, I earned it. So the answer to your question is ‘as much as you want to spend [t’aint cheap], or feel that you need to spend to build the Mad Tj that has Alfred E. Newman would build.’ Good luck and Jeep on.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomat65 and AndyG
Available Nice Rubicon's - maybe less than 20,000

Available Nice Women - millions
Not to mention when your TJ has a problem we have this wonderful here to help figure it out.;)
I haven't found (nor have I looked for) any forum that is going to help figuring out the opposite sex!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Hog
I bought my first Jeep in 1974, an M38 that could run submerged. I sold it a years later cuz it cost soo much to maintain those submersible systems. Since then I've always had a 4x4. They always cost more to maintain than any sedan. Looking back on a few I kept accurate records for I spent $1000.00 a year on my YJ over 12 years. That includes oil changes, tires and 1 remanufactured engine.

With 45 years of 4x4ing, I rarely do anything in the driveway, even oil changes I pay a mechanic to do. That said, 45 years later I have never been stranded and only needed a tow once when the alternator failed. IF I had looked at the voltage gauge I could have had it replaced before the battery went dead.

I read all the doom and gloom about the parts you MUST carry if you wheel and hit my head on a brick wall. You only need those parts if you fail to maintain yer vehicle. Almost every part gives plenty of warning before it breaks unless you are an idiot on the skinny pedal. But yes you must be proactive, find a mechanic you trust, drive within yer vehicles capabilities, act like an adult and any vehicle will return the favour..... except a Lada, or a Vega, or.....

I think long term with any 4x4 expect to spend $1K a year all in.

Likely half that with anything strictly street driven.

The Wrangler disadvantage is even used they are expensive
The Wrangler advantage is even used they are expensive.

They might be the least practical vehicle out there unless you like, love
"There's no sense taking the driveway that's ten feet away when you've got a CJ."

My current TJR is much more expensive but I also put on double the mileage and tow a trailer half the time. It is my daily driver plus work vehicle. I average 25K miles a year. One of these days I'll add up the invoices, pretty easy since it is all on the business tax records.

edit...
I'm amazed, the year I replaced the engine was the high year, engine, tires, new lift, registration, insurance, was under $20K and that included gasoline for 25K miles. I average under $9K a year if i take out the lifts, highline, engine. $9K included gasoline.... which some months is over $800.00..... I need a Prius.

take out the gas, registration, insurance, I still average $1K a year on the maintenance, tires etc basic costs.

551d7af0befda9d1e413e21cbfefc6d6.jpg

Last edited:
2017: Appx 1500 (Front Control arms, front springs, front track bar, front brakes)
2018: Appx 250 (Headlights and some misc stuff)
2019: Appx 1500 (Tires, front shocks, front driveshaft, CCV hoses, spark plugs, air filter)

Total: 3250
Per Annum Average: 1083

Reactions: thomat65
Keep this thread going guys I get tickled to death every time I see the avatar!

You can't look at Alfred E neuman and be depressed... It's like banjo music... You just can't play the banjo and be sad... And you can't drive a Jeep and be sad

I bet you never see a Jeep in front of a psychiatrist office...unless it's his .

My cost of ownership is pretty low (since 2014) and limited to Tires=650, battery=75, and replacing front endlinks (paid a shop before I knew better) = 200, and one sensor = 30. I don't think Mods should be considered in the calculation of TCoO cause those are elective.

I keep reading buy a winter beater. My tj is supposed to be my winter beater. Lol. I just coat the heck out it with fluid film. Not that big of a deal really. No frame or rust issues other than the tranny skid. That for some reason needs cleaned up.

Elective mods are the other big part of owning a Tj. Anything you drive is going to need tires, brakes, a battery, lights etc if you own it long enough, where jeeping gets pricey is when you start changing things to suit you that don’t really need to be changed. My dad got into a habit of getting rid of his bought new Toyota when the tires needed replacing. He did that trick 3 or 4 times. He was retired, living with us and making a car payment anyway so why not. The Toyota dealer loved to see him drive up.

Without counting mods, maybe a few 100 per year in maintenance and oddball small repairs.
But...even most of my mods have been large repairs to fix worn out or crap parts from the PO.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Nothing compared to a wife and 2 daughters. I could charge a couple hundred a month in parts and it would get lost in the weeds on our credit card statments. Their car insurance per kid is more per year than what you guys are talking about spending a year on average. Then we get to college expenses.

If I spent $30k a year for the rest of my life on stuff I want to do, I'm not sure I'd ever catch up to those three for the last 25 years.

My plan is around $2,000 between a mild lift, some basic modifications, and a decent stereo.

I see rock crawlers for sale around here in the $5k to $10k range. If I ever got serious about going on trails, I'd buy one of those from a guy who's wife is making him sell it, because kids, and break that rather than the TJ.

It may be blasphemy, but, have you considered an Cherokee (also known as an XJ)? They are very family friendly, fairly capable off road, great 4.0 engine, lots of aftermarket support, and relatively inexpensive to purchase compared to a TJ. Also because there isn't a frame, it's easier get salt and grime off the underbody, and easier to keep undercoated.

I had a 2000 XJ, and next to my TJ, it was my favorite vehicle. Even better than my wife's Subaru :)

It may be blasphemy, but, have you considered an Cherokee (also known as an XJ)? They are very family friendly, fairly capable off road, great 4.0 engine, lots of aftermarket support, and relatively inexpensive to purchase compared to a TJ. Also because there isn't a frame, it's easier get salt and grime off the underbody, and easier to keep undercoated.

I had a 2000 XJ, and next to my TJ, it was my favorite vehicle. Even better than my wife's Subaru :)

Good points. I had a 1995 Cherokee before getting my 2004 TJ. It took me everywhere I wanted to go.

Buying a 15 year old vehicle that you don't intend to trash has financial consequences. Ball joints, u joints, brakes, bearings, drivelines, transmissions, etc. I've owned my TJ Rubicon for 10 years and I've had to replace a lot of parts on it. I haven't had to do anything with the motor yet (135K miles).

Anyway, if you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself and can cope with the Jeep not being in service for awhile from time to time then it can work. They're fun to drive and if you eventually get off road then they're really fun.

I think an average of $1-1.5K year maintenance understanding that some years may be closer to double that (e.g., transmission, differential gearing, tires) would be pretty close to accurate. The first year bill could be quite a bit higher if the Jeep hasn't been maintained well.

My TJ was highly modified when I bought it and that has required a lot more maintenance than a stock TJ would take. If you're not planning on big off road trips then I recommend sticking as close as possible to stock.

Hate to be the opposite and go against the grain of what are some excellent points on here —— if I needed a daily, wanted 4WD for winter and reliability factor with decent gas mileage and without money being too much of an issue---I'd go buy a later model 2012+JKU (4 doors with kids is amazing, no matter how much goofier they look) or a newer JL. Rubicon's are awesome (I'm on my second) but I off road mine. As a daily and weekend adventure toy, a sport or sahara would fit the bill, be cheaper but have less resale value down the road.

At the end of the day, I love my TJR but if I got offered a JLR at an incredible price, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm curious how long you've owned your TJ?

Jan '18 I think. It had VERY low miles though. 32K I think. Also, the prior owner probably didn't really drive it in winter that much. Had the original top and some crazy huge lift. It is clean underneath other than the damn transmission skid. I am going to clean it up and see if it is good enough for me. If not, I will replace it. The key is keeping up on these TJs. There are plenty of CJs and YJ's around, but people know to spray the crap out of them with some oil or FF. We are rust kings around here. I know several people that spray used motor oil and they will not rust at all. Messy though.

I also have huge advantages over a lot of owners here. My best friend is a mechanic and I have access to a lot of things most wouldn't. Throw it up on a rack and just take care of my TJ. My TJ lives in a heated garage that is very dry as well. Doesn't hurt.