Average cost of ownership for TJs?

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello all. This is my first post! šŸ‘‹

I have no Jeep yet, although I do have a remote-controlled 4WD monster truck which I sometimes imagine is a Jeep. Instead I have a 2003 Honda Accord v6 coupe with a 6 speed--one of the more fun cars Honda has made. Unfortunately my RC truck isn't large enough to ride to work, so the Honda fills that role. But here's the deal: my Honda has driven significantly more miles than there are to the moon. And while I hear of Hondas being able to make it a good portion of the way back from the moon I'm not sure how much farther mine will go. And I'm tired of paying to fix stuff (more on that below). In short I'm thinking of showing it the door.

So I find myself researching the Wrangler market. I hope that doesn't mean something's wrong with me. At least I wouldn't be the only one with this problem. At any rate I think I would like an LJ, especially an LJR. But I don't have to part with the Honda just yet. I could probably hold out another couple of years if I really had to. This is where I need help from you guys making this decision:

How much has it costed you to own your TJ? And what portion of that is going to a mechanic (versus turning your own wrench)? I'm mainly interested in repairs and maintenance costs, but if you believe there are things I should know about fuel costs, insurance costs, or anything else then I'm all ears. I'm looking for hard numbers more than a general feel. Like "looking over my receipts from the past three years I see I've spent $XXXX.XX per year on average". But hey, if all you've got is a general feel, I'll still respect you and will listen to you.

I'm hoping to find that keeping a gently used TJ in good shape will cost less than owning my Honda. I know, I know... "Less expensive than a Honda?? This guy is nuts! How did the mods let this one through?!" But hear me out: it's things like the below that have caused my maintenance and repair costs to average $2903.44 every single year I've owned my car, and $4389.60 per year over the past three years.
  • I live in Southwest Michigan where the road crews sprinkle salt on their cereal to keep the milk from icing over in the winter and where they give free brine baths to all residents. So two years ago I totally repainted my car because the clearcoat was gone, the quarter panels were starting to get cancer, and it had other bodywork needs. And when I say "I painted the car" I mean I paid a body shop more than the car was worth to fix everything up. I do not recommend doing that. I don't know why I did that. It was a mix of sentimentality and believing I could get another decade or two out of the car
  • I live in Southwest Michigan where the road crews replace half of the potholes with wheelbarrows of asphalt piled up like the hills of Eastern Kentucky, tall enough to be gouged out again by the next snow plow. And the other half go unfixed. So there went my shocks
  • I'm sure my car looked really nice for whoever bought it new, with leather seats and all. But now it's an old car and the leather is shredding and all the foam padding is falling out. When I painted my car I was also thinking of having the seats reupholstered and fixed up really nice. But I'm sure you can imagine why it was too hard to budget for two greater-than-the-car-is-worth expenses in one go
  • I live in Southwest Michigan so I'm fixing quarter panel cancer again as we speak
  • Several years ago I forced the Honda shop to take my money and replace my engine mounts because I just knew they were causing an abnormal jerky rocking motion. That didn't fix the issue. So I just knew it must be bad bushings up front. But replacing the entire front suspension didn't help. Maybe it's in the transmission? It's probably just a feature
  • Speaking of the transmission, when it's cold third gear's synchronizer is about as useful as forgetting to use the clutch
  • I was concerned about exhaust odors in the cabin when giving it the beans with negative cabin pressure (i.e. tilt the sunroof), so I let a muffler shop talk me into new mufflers to fix a hole that did exist but wasn't the problem. Maybe the problem is from the exhaust flex pipe which is falling to pieces
  • Speaking of exhaust, I have a permanent CEL because the catalytic converters are giving up the ghost
  • Speaking of the exhaust, a rattly noise (which I thought was caused by the pipe clamp coming loose from holding my exhaust manifold cover) at very specific RPMs and engine loads is actually caused by oil cavitation or something to do with engine sludge in VTEC ports. I can't remember exactly what the mechanic said about that one, but it reminds me of lugging
  • Speaking of the engine, it would be great if the rear main seal wasn't leaking so much oil
  • Then there's all the normal stuff like paying an oil shop too much for an oil change
Yes those are the real numbers. Yes I've made some dumb choices--please learn from me!--but I'm beginning to pay mechanics less as I learn more. I do enjoy wrenching which I hear is a common ailment around here.

How much would it cost to keep a TJ rust-free and in excellent condition here in Southwest Michigan? Is it realistic to expect to keep a nice TJ looking nice, or should I just give up on my hopes and dreams and buy a disposable rust bucket Impala or Crown Vic each spring for $500?

P.S. My Honda doesn't even get awesome gas mileage. I average 23.9 MPG. That's JL Wrangler territory :(

Last edited:
Let me say this, and I mean it with no disrespect at all:

If you live in a state where they salt the roads like Michigan, you'd be stupid to not have a winter beater, drive it until the wheels fall of, not worry about the rust, etc.

Then have a nice, rust free TJ (probably one that you got from out-of-state in a region that doesn't use salt, such as the West Coast or South West) and only drive it during the nice time of the year where there isn't salt on the roads.

Salt is cancer. The only way you'll get away with driving a rust-free TJ in Michigan (and keeping it rust free), will be to liberally quote the underside using a product such as Fluid Film or Linseed Oil and doing that multiple times a year. In addition, you'd have to regularly rinse the underside off with a pressure washer each time after driving it in the snow / salt.

It would be a lot of work, and ultimately I think that's why it would be better off to have TWO vehicles, one for winter / beater use, and the other (the TJ) for spring and summer, when you wouldn't have to worry about salt on the roads.

Assuming you have a rust free TJ from the start, these things are as reliable as they come. You'll get shitty fuel economy no matter what, so your gas bill will always be expensive. However, as far as reliability goes, the 4.0 is bullet proof. Expect to rebuild / replace the transmission every 200k miles or so, but other than that it's basic maintenance such as cooling system overhauls, O2 sensor replacement, oil changes, etc.

You do realize that the famous acronym J.E.E.P. stands for Just Empty Every Pocket right?? Probably not the best idea to have the TJ as your only vehicle in your situation. Yes it is easy to wrench. Iā€™m not a mechanic by any means but I like to learn new things and learning about working on vehicles was one thing that has always intrigued me. I would say Iā€™m a certified YouTube/Google mechanic lol. Iā€™ve done everything so far on my TJ minus the regear. All the jobs took longer than anticipated being new to wrenching but I have that luxury as I have a daily driver vehicle and the TJ is a weekend/hobby/fun ride. It can get expensive with the mods and upgrades but just basic maintenance is easy and not expensive at all. Good luck with your decision!

First , Alfred E. Neuman, you are obviously a super smart kid , and you like cars and Jeeps . That makes you just like us , except maybe we come up kind of short on the smart part .

If itā€™s challenging to get a straight answer , these vehicles have a pretty wide variety of uses with owners ...some are rock crawlers, swamp buggies, just toys , some are snow plows , hunting rigs , daily drivers and garage queens ...so the data is going to really have some extremes . Also , in some cases of married forum members , the information is highly classified . Itā€™s kept in a vault (actually an old TJ console with a jammed button) in Chrisā€™s basement.

I canā€™t answer your question , or maybe Iā€™m ashamed to because it will take about 15 years for what I spent not to be embarrassing if you annualized it , but I will tell you no Honda Accord can take you the places and give you the experience a TJ will, and I totally respect the legendary Accord as a good market value .

A TJ may be the most exciting vehicle you ever own , but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if you owned a few Ferrariā€™s later on .

Last edited:
Alfred E. Neuman, you are obviously a super smart kid

Haha! I need to update my profile picture so badly. It imported automatically when I logged in with a Google account I've had for a while. I think I'm more than a decade older than that picture, have been married for a couple of years, and as of recently have a kid :)

Reactions: Blondie70
Haha! I need to update my profile picture so badly. It imported automatically when I logged in with a Google account I've had for a while. I think I'm more than a decade older than that picture, have been married for a couple of years, and as of recently have a kid :)
Chris ,please help him make Alfred E. Newman his avatar! At least temporarily til he gets a TJ.

New Rule - any forum member who does not currently hold title to a Tj is subject to have their Avatar chosen by Forum general vote

. All in favor , like this post , or just blink or something.

You live in an environment that is a car killer. Cost of driving anything there is higher than the south or west. A TJ becomes an OCD instrument of torture. You will find yourself replacing parts that haven't failed, looking for solutions to problems that don't exist, and generally lavishing more attention and gifts on it than you would a horny girlfriend with beer flavored nipples. While many a stock TJ owner drove their rigs well past 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles with very minimal maintenance and repairs, enthusiasts tend to spend a lot on their rigs. If you limit your driving to summer, you should be able to keep a Jeep rust free if it started out rust free. Lots of tricks to stall rust, but salt wins in the end. Buying a cheap winter beater is your best bet.

I have a good friend that lives in Grand Rapids. He definitely recommends a winter beater, even with undercoat his second 2wd 4Runner is getting toasted.

Reactions: thomat65
My company does a lot of work on the northern and southern borders of this great country. Our truck fleet is new to 3 years old. The 3 year old trucks are showing their northern border use because we don't get to chose when we go north and it usually ends up being October through February.
These are expensive diesel pickup trucks and they rust like nobody's business even with modern paint, galvanizing etc. I am afraid, a poor TJ would not make it out alive after a year or so of sodium chloride sandblasting.

Reactions: DrDmoney and AndyG
Ok, Iā€™ve had my 2003 TJ for 43 months. I have spent 140 a month on maintenance. My largest cost that really skews that number was losing the rear diff shortly after I bought it, that was 2800 dollars. When it went out, I had everything re-geared and added a rear locker. I try to keep all of my upgrades on a separate sheet so I can keep a maintenance list accurate. I believe most used cars cost about 100 a month to maintain. However, if you think you are going to get good mileage, that just isnā€™t going to happen. I get like 12 or 13 in the city with 33ā€™s. However, if you are looking for a fun vehicle, this is it. Itā€™s not speed that makes these fun. Itā€™s something you can make into the vehicle you want at a whim. Doors on, doors off, top on, top off, top on but windows out, half doors, they are unique. You can travel to places that most vehicles canā€™t get to. This Jeep has replaced my motorcycles, itā€™s that good. I also spent 3600 on upgrades. I wouldnā€™t give up my Jeep for just about anything. Much of the work on the Jeep has been done by others. I do some things. But, some things I just donā€™t want to do or donā€™t have the tools and or knowledge. So, I have to pay for their services. And Iā€™m ok with that. I still understand enough to fix what breaks on the trail. However, living where you live is a thing I canā€™t comment on. I live on the west coast in the high desert, no rust here. Hope this helps.

I guess I'll ask the question. WHY a TJ? Do you plan to go off road and camping out now? Do you just want the security of 4wd when the ice and snow coat the roads?
To be honest I would not recommend a TJ if you are just looking to replace your Honda. If you don't intend to leave the pavement there are a lot of vehicles better suited to you.
Wranglers are famous for a couple things. Going to places no one else can go. Being the only vehicle that is a convertible and have the doors off to a hard top with full steel doors, and everything in between. Giving you a driving experience only beaten by a motorcycle (so I'm told. Never drove one of those widowmakers). And rust.
I'm in NY so I understand the 'Salt everything, then salt it some more!' way of highway maintenance. And the only way to keep rust under control is to park it inside while the salt gods roam. As a second/summer driver TJs are great. But to be a stand in for a Honda? Not so much. AWD is better for handling bad weather driving. There are many vehicles, including Jeeps, that have this. 4wd is best OFF road. And if you don't plan on going there then I would recommend looking for something else.

But if you want to join in on the offroad way of thinking then I think the TJ/LJ are probably the very highest level of off road capable machine (non military) ever made. Still relatively easy to work on. Still relatively easy to get parts. Still easy to drive. Simply the highest level of simplicity and performance.

Don't get me wrong, a $100,000 Land Rover is great on paper, but the odds of it crapping out on you is way to high for me. The level of electronic shocks, electronic leveling, electronic ride control, etc on a vehicle famous for electrical problems is crazy.

Decide what you want out of your next vehicle. And be very clear and honest. Then you will have a clear idea what to get next.

P.S. I love my TJ and never plan to sell it. These are truly amazing vehicles for the right type of person. But not for the person looking for the lowest cost of ownership. It seems most of your high dollar per year is because you insisted on spending for no reason.

Reactions: Hog
Average maintenance costs unless you go offroad which may wear some parts out faster. So if you leave it stock, and don't care about the cool look factor, it shouldn't cost anymore than most vehicles. You'll use more gas, probably never get better than 20mpg, even if you leave it stock. Plus the extra running around you will do just because it's fun to drive. Insurance will be higher too.
Having said all that, most Jeep owners don't care, and never considered the higher costs a downside to owning one.

Reactions: AndyG
WHY a TJ?

I think TJs look really cool. And I wouldn't feel as bad to learn mistakes on a less expensive used Jeep as on a new one. Like learn if it's possible to keep a Jeep in good condition around here.

I totally get that a Subaru Outback will knock the socks off any Rubicon in the winter salt slush we typically have around here, all else being equal. But I'm also comfortable driving my FWD coupe with very little ground clearance. Tires make all the difference around here.

No off-road trips are in the works, but my wife and I also don't have off-road capable vehicles. And I think if we get a Subaru I'll always be asking what if.

Jeeps just look so awesome. And I have enjoyed puttering around on pavement in my dad's CJ when we visit my folks. Off pavement it's even more fun! There's a steep embankment from the road through a shallow ditch into my parents' yard. There's no sense taking the driveway that's ten feet away when you've got a CJ.

I think I am probably just fantasizing too much about Jeep ownership and looking for any way to justify it. And a worn out Honda is a nice cover story.

This can't be responsible.

You're right, I just just get a beater Subaru šŸ™

have a nice, rust free TJ (probably one that you got from out-of-state in a region that doesn't use salt, such as the West Coast or South West)
Cost is pretty low. I do all my wrenching. But I have to disagree with Chris. You will want to move to a location that does not salt rather than moving a rust free Jeep north only to have it rot away. Or park it during the winter and rent a car from Enterprise.

Reactions: reddvltj