Averaging 5 mpg

I need O2s. Can't find NTK/NGK for my 97 and am waiting for @hosejockey61 to report back on testing Walker brand.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I did this not too long ago for my 97. Got them from Rock Auto.

Edit: But mine is the 2.5 of course, and so I only have 2 sensors, and I can't remember if they differ from those on the 4.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: macleanflood
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I did this not too long ago for my 97. Got them from Rock Auto.

Edit: But mine is the 2.5 of course, and so I only have 2 sensors, and I can't remember if they differ from those on the 4.0.

My '98 only has two sensors. Which ones did you go with?

The downstream O2 sensor does have some impact on fuel consumption.

“The first function is to measure catalyst efficiency to meet OBD II requirements. If the catalytic converter is working properly, the oxygen content of the exhaust gases at the converter outlet fluctuates significantly less than at the converter inlet. The PCM compares the switching rates of both downstream and upstream O2 sensors under specific operating conditions to determine if the catalyst is functioning properly. Any time the upstream to downstream switching ratio exceeds a calibrated value, a catalyst efficiency fault will be stored.

The second function is downstream fuel control. This function adjusts the upstream O2 Goal Voltage within the range of operation of the upstream O2 sensor. The upstream Goal Voltage is used to ensure long catalytic converter life by allowing the PCM to control the amount of air and fuel that is supplied to the catalytic converter.”

Troubleshooting with actual data like fuel trims and closed loop status will go a long way in expediting resolution of the problem.

General Information:

“Starting in 1996, all vehicles use at least one Upstream O2 sensor and one Downstream O2 sensor (fig. 16). An O2 sensor provides the PCM with a voltage signal (0-1 volt) inversely proportional to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. If the oxygen content is low, the voltage output is high; if the oxygen content is high, the output voltage is low. The PCM uses this information to adjust injector pulse-width to achieve the air/fuel ratio necessary for proper engine operation and to control emissions.”

“The downstream sensor is located just after the catalytic converter, or between the catalyst biscuits, and produces a similar signal input to the PCM that is used for two purposes. One function is to verify catalytic converter efficiency as a requirement of OBD II diagnostics. The other function is to provide fuel correction information based on actual catalytic converter output.”

Downstream O2 Sensor:

“As mentioned previously, the downstream O2 sensor has two functions. One function is measuring catalyst efficiency. This is an OBD II requirement. The oxygen content of the exhaust gases leaving the converter has significantly less fluctuation than at the inlet if the converter is working properly. The PCM compares the upstream and downstream O2 sensor switch rates under specific operating conditions to determine if the catalyst is functioning properly.

Another function is to help establish the upstream O2 sensor's goal voltage. While the upstream O2 sensor input is used to maintain the 14.7:1 AF, variations in engines, exhaust systems and catalytic converters may cause this ratio to not be the
most ideal for a particular catalyst and engine. To help maintain the catalyst operating at maximum efficiency, the PCM fine-tunes the A/F ratio entering the catalyst based on the oxygen content leaving the catalyst. This is accomplished by modifying the upstream O2 sensor goal voltage.

In the past this goal was a preprogrammed fixed-value based on where it was believed the catalyst operated most efficiently. With the new downstream O2 sensor fuel control, the upstream O2 goal is moved up and down within the window of operation of the O2 sensor. If the oxygen content leaving the catalyst is too high (excess oxygen) the PCM moves the upstream O2 goal up, which increases fuel in the mixture causing less oxygen to be left over. Conversely, if the oxygen content leaving the catalyst is too low (not enough oxygen) the PCM moves the upstream O2 goal down which removes fuel from the mixture causing more oxygen to be left over.”

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
If the vehicle is really using 3X as much fuel as it used to I am thinking it would stink pretty bad and be so rich it would be eye watering and probably black smoke. It would also take out the cat in short order and probably wash down the cylinder walls. I mean, that's a lot of gas. I'm inclined to believe it's a measurement/calculation error. Or theft.

Last edited:
I suggest the OP apply the KISS method before firing a parts cannon. Since this has trended toward running super rich, it's easy to pull a plug or two and verify or eliminate.

Reactions: Painfultruth
If the vehicle is really using 3X as much fuel as it used to I am thinking it would stink pretty bad and be so rich it would be eye watering and probably black smoke. It would also take out the cat in short order and probably wash down the cylinder walls. I mean, that's a lot of gas. I'm inclined to believe it's a measurement/calculation error. Or theft.

The O2 sensor feedback and PCM couldn’t correct that kind of rich condition and would go into fault.