Axeman's Build Thread

Got the correct speedo gear thanks to the forum
e9FCUlZjQgKDTzhvb1FLEw.jpg

went from 31 to 37, it was way off after the gear change. I will have to get a 35 gear for when I eventually switch to 33x12.5s.

Maiden voyage
Finally got to hit some trails and test out the new suspension and Dana 44.
IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

Unfortunately a little trail rash from a tree on a tight turn stuffed my fender. It wouldn't have been so bad if the rot under the paint hadn't blown out.
L46qJNM9R16D5MecHQewhg.jpg

IsI3GR3fQku23JbDyuultw.jpg

So it looks like the flat fender install will come earlier than expected. Ordered a set of MCE's for the front.

Also realized I need more protection underneath. Ordered some rocker sliders and am looking at engine skid options. M.O.R.E. set up looks pretty good, going to take some measurements.

MCE Fenders are backordered until Mid-August.

Was able to get the CB installed and Rugged Ridge Rock Sliders today though.
xEsgX92RTlWr+CLg6Hq1aw.jpg

Need to figure out where I am going to mount the Mic clip

Hx24sC+yQdykeze8sqi4zA.jpg

qpdvxEVwTqW+wtY8iqMiew.jpg

I went with these RR ones because they do not use the body/frame mounts, just the tub. They also come with the rubber gasket attached to them to protect the body. They seem pretty heavy duty, are powder coated, and have a nice 2" step bent into them. Install was straight forward, and picked them up from Morris 4x4 (even though I swore I wouldn't go back to them) for only $213 shipped.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I have those same sliders. Been thru the Rubicon twice, and Moab and have taken the hits like a champ!
I bought a cheap plastic stick on mic clip off Amazon and stuck mine here.
20180311_170442.jpg

You could easily stick it on the right side to keep your cord out of the way of the shifter.

Reactions: Axeman
I have those same sliders. Been thru the Rubicon twice, and Moab and have taken the hits like a champ!
I bought a cheap plastic stick on mic clip off Amazon and stuck mine here.
View attachment 175638
You could easily stick it on the right side to keep your cord out of the way of the shifter.
Is that just a "stick on" clip? no screws? the one I have uses screws so I was a little hesitant to drill into trim. I wanted to put it in the square to the right of the switches but I do think it will interfere with 3rd &5th gear.

Yep, just a stick on. The tape that came with it didn't last long, so I cleaned the back of it and attached some good 3M automotive double sided tape on the back. Has held up fine so far.

Replaced the leaking front pinion seal on the Dana 30 today and added a Skid for the front. Ran into an issue with the seal I ordered not fitting, luckily I found one at a local shop. I never found out the year of the used Dana 30 I got so I took an educated guess at the seal.
GlnBTuwsQIus8UQs8T9OuQ.jpg

3PfUalxSTWGiWQNVGLy1Qg.jpg

HVdwmDtHQqGpC9mkbqx0wg.jpg

The back of the seal on my Dana 30 has ridges, whereas the spicer one I ordered is flat in the back. All good now.

%AO4JLewRvG1to0zMFbTuQ.jpg

This will at least give me peace of mind for the front, still need to figure out what to use for the Dana 44. I like the glide style skids from Rancho that bolt underneath the rear diff but there like $150 vs the $40 I paid for the front.

I am still waiting on my M.O.R.E. engine skid and MCE front fenders.

Reactions: Apparition
More big things happening:

ZJ Steering upgrade (Moog)
uOMGwQ59T9WCDlUQ1ulX4g.jpg

I'll keep the old stuff for trail spares.

.75 front coil spacers to level the front after the winch weighed it down:
ARxv4c01RI2yK91U9wsnsA.jpg

xKNfWqjaRJy1Gu32lFEmhQ.jpg

And finally:

Cooper Evolution M/T 33x12.5s that I got for $134/each!!!
tWA4fPqjSMGClBL2lM8DRQ.jpg

5G+tMrLFSyyK1S%6CdMijQ.jpg

The M.O.R.E. engine skid I ordered came in, installing tomorrow:
6ZI9GTl%SlSlllyiLipTHA.jpg

Still waiting on the set of MCE fenders and the MOR/ryde tailgate reinforcement kit I ordered.

Here is the Mountain Off-Road Enterprises Engine Skid Install:
1muFEeXvSEuMUk7n8iV81Q.jpg

These brackets go on the frame horns just below the motor mounts. They give you a little wrench that you can bend as needed to hold the bolt heads behind it.

Used a magnet to pull the bolts through:
vRR7NaZ%To2jvy2YHdl9Bw.jpg

The Y-brace in the front then bolts right on to those:
Fz0QX6KMQ+e5PDLE0+2zRw.jpg

The hardest part was drilling through the RC skid plate for the rear bolts. I think these engine skids are designed to work with the factory skid, and anything else has to be drilled.
6qcu%1p6RMaP6kSsC78ydQ.jpg

This is a nice, heavy duty skid though. Definitely will give some peace of mind sliding over rocks.
Ni5I4bB6RYyAXKS4PNAt5A.jpg

Wqqs2j6LT0qaCChXrcsjYw.jpg

The only issue down the road will be oil changes. The hole is a little too forward for the drain plug and will more than likely fill the skid if I don't drop it.
bYCh4U2%ROOcFxkepNjQ6Q.jpg

love this build. I have the MCE's as well and really like them!
Thanks! and those look great. I can't wait for the fenders to come in, FedEx has them somewhere...

I have a set of clear JK turn signal lenses. I'm a little worried about drilling the 3" holes evenly though.

I am much happier with the 33s with this 4.10 gearing. The chart in the resources forum says that 31s are the matching size for 4.10s and the NSG370 6speed, but I was shifting to 4th before 30 mph. I felt like I was driving a semi truck. For 33s the chart says 4.56s, but I think its perfect now, I am able to ride out each of the gears a little more.

Reactions: Tldelaney
MCE fenders came in. Today was just the front install and JK turn signals. I was eager to get the rusted/duct tape fender off.
EK1CzDmiQ3CSYH5ItwkRxw.jpg

727zY92VQlauLYyDrDRkFQ.jpg

The Jigsaw with the metal blade was a great tool for this. No other body panels on my TJ have rust/rot like these front fenders did. They both had it bubbling under the paint right over the wheel where the fender has 2 layers. Poor design flaw just traps the moisture in-between the layers and rots out.

1zsQAdKnQz2pA58OkMXmEg.jpg

Here is the passenger side.
2PFwBT2uSTC+tydA1WjShg.jpg

Here is the new 4.5" MCE front fenders:
peVFr0jET6WvCMOO23C+dQ.jpg

yVRknfABStKQHxAJfmi3%Q.jpg

I used Jerry's technique of slotting the JK lights:
uLkMfPGgRWeun%KCL01xRA.jpg

Tomorrow I will get the Rear MCE fenders and hopefully the MOR/ryde Tailgate reinforcement kit.

Love your build! The fenders look great!

By the way, how's the quality of DC wheels? I like the style of Fuel wheels, though I'm still undecided about whether to get them or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axeman
how's the quality of DC wheels?
I love the DC2s, the quality seems good for an aluminum wheel. It won't see the salty winter roads so they should hold up against corrosion. My only issue is with the brake dust on the front, it's hard to keep up with it and does discolor the wheel. It will clean right off, but thats more of a brake pad issue. The fuel wheels you mentioned look good too.

Rear MCE fenders were a breeze
PNnnLkFJTHWn5bFu6%Gd0Q.jpg

n5fsKExcQw2ZCF3Ey57R3w.jpg

I did slightly angle it down toward the front of the fender so it reached the rocker guards. It didn't look right at all having a gap there.

MOR/ryde Tailgate Reinforcement kit with Rugged Ridge HD carrier
iPKfUT3lQR+i%ZjEdkX5uw.jpg

Uov+pOYiSj+dF1N0ZLFGjg.jpg

Looks great, really solid upgrade. My only issue is the 3.75" BS on my DC-2s leave the wheel sticking out way too far, even for the supplied bumper extensions. I'm not sure 6" bumper would look right....
A2KcvFgYShqhzbMFjJrH6w.jpg

I9EQ7GxjQE6WQXs5KiCIJA.jpg