Axle Questions

piperthejeep

Hello all,

Here is a newbie question. I've read many threads discussing the different options folks can choose for upgrading their axles. Specifically, swapping the rear Dana 35 with either a ford 8.8 or Dana 44.

I've also looked into doing a super 35 for me current Dana 35 axle since I dont plan moving up to 35" tires anytime soon.

With all that being said, how do folks address their front axles? Does the front axle need need the same reinforcement as the rear? What are the different options out their for someone on a budget

Dana 30's don't have the same "weak points" as the 35. That being said, before I upgraded, I ran my Dana 35 with 35" tires for over a year without issue.. Just gotta be lighter on the gas pedal!

Reactions: MangoTango
I'm still on my original Dana 30 and Dana 35 with 35" tires. Did the 30 spline 4340 Chrome Molly upgrades. Just be easy on the skinny peddle. No size axle is immune top breaking.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Hello all,

Here is a newbie question. I've read many threads discussing the different options folks can choose for upgrading their axles. Specifically, swapping the rear Dana 35 with either a ford 8.8 or Dana 44.

I've also looked into doing a super 35 for me current Dana 35 axle since I dont plan moving up to 35" tires anytime soon.

With all that being said, how do folks address their front axles? Does the front axle need need the same reinforcement as the rear? What are the different options out their for someone on a budget
The front axle is not a important to address as the rear. Many folks run up to 35" tires on the original Dana30 (low pinion). One popular upgrade is to swap the LP Dana 30 for a high pinion Dana 30 from a Jeep Cherokee XJ. It's a direct swap and you really get 2 key benefits. The driveshaft angle is improved on the HP which keeps it away from obstacles better. Also, the HP axle runs on the drive side of the ring gear (which is stronger) rather than the coast side.

I feel like there's a difference between "need" a truss and "want" a truss (aka insurance policy).

Let's take a trip down memory lane.
AMC 20
It had a 2 piece axle. The hub actually sat on splines onto the axle shaft.

They survived no problem on street applications but street doesn't present incredible leverage force going off road does.

Now that said...many o'jeepers made an AMC 20 with the 2 piece axles survive some incredible situations. How?
Finesse. Sense of feel.

The weaker the axle the more finesse you need.

The stronger the axle the less you have to worry about it.

It can survive is my point but that's on you.

This is all really great information. I'm currently running 33" tires and my off-road isnt anything spectacular.

I do have room in my budget for upgraded axle shafts for the Dana 30. I would like to run a locker in the front as well.
On my first wrangler w Dana 30 I do swap the axle shafts for a used chromoly set and add a TorqLocker. Run 35’s off ‘road for years, sold the jeep and the current owner still haven’t need to re work it.

Reactions: MangoTango