Axle shaft not fitting

saltysurfjeep

I’m installing new chromoly axle shafts in my Dana 30. Passenger side went in fine. The driver’s side slide in easy but the hub bearing isn’t setting flush in the knuckle. If I torque it down it’ll rotate fine with the wheels straight, but if I turn the steering wheel and rotate something is binding or hitting. I can hear and feel it. I’ve swapped it and the stock one several times trying to troubleshoot. Any ideas or suggestions to try?

Last edited:
Pictures and more details on which parts you bought usually helps folks help you.

IMG_3672.jpeg
The new shaft on the left is on about 1/16 of an inch longer. Not sure why is not fixing correctly.

I had a similar problem years ago… The axle was just a hair too long to let the unit bearing seat fully. The solution was to slice a bit off the differential end with an angle grinder then put the slightest bevel on the end to clean it up. Slid it in and never had another issue.

If I remember correctly, the guy that gave me that advice told me that at that time a batch of axles was known to have slipped through QC a bit too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: NskLJ
I’m curious, where did you get the new axle? I’d talk to them and see what’s up.

Also, is it possible to have a wrong U Joint that is making it too long? Grasping at guesses here

They are Torq-Masters chromoly shafts. American made. They installed the Spicer 5-760x joints. I spoke to them yesterday. They told me some things to check for binding in the joint or hitting something around the knuckle. That checked out fine.

It seems like the issue Stinkbug had. A hair too long. I really want to save trimming it down as a last resort.

They are Torq-Masters chromoly shafts. American made. They installed the Spicer 5-760x joints. I spoke to them yesterday. They told me some things to check for binding in the joint or hitting something around the knuckle. That checked out fine.

It seems like the issue Stinkbug had. A hair too long. I really want to save trimming it down as a last resort.

I wouldn't do that, trim it, personally. Because it's brand new, I'd at minimum take segment measurements in detail. If one fits and new one is longer and doesn't, I would maintain the new one is not correct. Then say you can send another one, and I'll try, or money back.

I'm also not opposed to cutting, grinding, whatever to make things work, but not in this situation. The part should fit and be accurate in my opinion.

Why a last resort? There is nothing else it can be except the seal surface. If the knuckle swings freely back and forth without binding until it gets perfectly straight ahead and then binds, either the axle is too long or the seal surface is bottoming out in the side of the carrier. Pray that it is just the length because grinding that seal surface back shorter just sucks.

Lay the new axle and the stock axle next to each other with the two matching u-joint holes lined up perfectly. If the shaft is too long, trim it down, if the seal surface is too far inboard, move it outboard some.