Back in an LJR (build / plans)

AndrewLJR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since there seems to be more activity over here, I like the layout better and Ive copied my thread from another forum and bringing it over here.

I’m back after a few year hiatus. I sold my 05 LJR back in spring of 2016. I bought it with a huge RC lift, 38” TSLs and slowly, built it the way it should have been. 4” Currie springs, savvy fox shocks, metal cloak track bars and control arms. Revolution 5.38s and several other things.

bf8e3bf181698a1a52514168da1a4d60.jpg

Truth is, at the time, I built it to what you see there and after buying a house and having an upcoming wedding, I never used it. It was a pretty shitty feeling to go through the effort of building it to what I thought was a great set up Jeep, not the best, but great, and not even wheel it. So, I sold it to help fund my wedding, house projects and to get one of the many cars on my to own list, 06 M3 Competition.

Fast forward, we moved to South Florida for my job, had my daughter and I’ve been moving from car to car. Even most recently, ordered my own JLUR and owned it for 5 months before taking a slight loss and moving to another bucket list car, Rs7. The JLUR was great but I never felt I was in a Jeep. I stuffed 37s on and while the modern tech, awesome 8 speed transmission and other things were nice, it wasn’t for me

fde7f39971a6c9ec1ea015a21aecde7d.jpg

So now that my daughter is 10 months old, I daily an M6 Gran Coupe, I’ve had the itch to get back into an LJR. This time, I wanted a manual. Everyone who owns the 42rle knows how big of a turd it is and I wanted nothing to do with it. So the search was on! Given the current circumstances, it was difficult to find what I wanted. I wanted another yellow LJR and manual, but they’re hard to come by and pull a pretty penny. I almost bought an auto yellow LJR but it didn’t work out. This led me to find this higher mileage, manual Midnight Blue Pearlcoat LJR

a4ddab264d26724b6efc5612e765a73a.jpg

I haven’t seen an LJR in this color and the 226k miles don’t bother me. It’s filthy underneath, slight oil pan leak and needs some TLC cosmetically but it’ll be a fun project for me during this confinement period. Having learned from the lesson on my first LJ, I’m going to be starting with a fresh slate that’s unmodified and I can start building it with quality parts from the onset. At first, I was planning on the OME Ultimate kit, but once I added everything up, it’s a few hundred off from piecing together my own lift. So this is my plan as of now

Phase 1:
Savvy 3” Springs
Savvy Fox Shocks
Currie bump stop kit
MetalCloak front and rear track bars
Sway bar links- I don’t have any place to wheel down here so for now, will get something that’s cheap but can keep sway bar at the right level
285/75/16 Toyo RT- most likely. Had them on the LJUR and they performed great. We get lots of rain, sometimes heavy and I want a tire that can handle that but still have a presence. A true AT, doesn't interest me here. My inner child needs to show somewhere
ZJ Steering- since I’m not wheeling and staying on the smaller size of a tire, this will suffice my needs. Once we move back to NC and I can get out and wheel, I’ll do the Currie/Savvy combo

So for $500 more than the OME Ultimate, I’ll have a really solid base to build from.

Phase 2:
Savvy 1.25” body lift
Savvy MML
Savvy Transfer case cables

Phase 3:
Metal Cloak control arms- double adjustable uppers

At some point, I’ll do a tummy tuck, undercarriage items but since this will be a pavement princess for a little while, I don’t need the clearance. I’m excited to be back into an LJR and while I won’t have the ability to use it as it should, it’ll be a blast to have some good family time in a Jeep. I grew up in Jeeps and I want that for my daughter, that’s what drove me to get the JL. I just don’t want one for a daily driver. I’ll post pics when it arrives next week and get it cleaned up. Feel free to comment on build plans. I have no desire to save a few hundred on a subpar base build and while I’m not swimming in money, I know if you do it right the first time, it’ll beat doing it twice!

Everyone who owns the 42rle knows how big of a turd it is and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Awesome Jeep, but this is a false perspective. The 42RLE is a solid transmission, provided you gear it correctly and keep it cool. It also has a big plus in that it allows for the addition of a RubiCrawler. You can't get that with the NSG370 6 speed!

Welcome. Nice LJR. I sold my Dinan 750LI and bought my LJR. Have had an X5M or S8 on the brain lately.

Thank you! The X5M has the same motor as my M6 and its stout! I have downpipes and tune on mine and run half tank race fuel, its an animal! The S8 has the same as the Rs7 and that thing was bloody quick off the line, it just got kind of boring. Dead straight cause of the Quattro. You can't go wrong with either!

Awesome Jeep, but this is a false perspective. The 42RLE is a solid transmission, provided you gear it correctly and keep it cool. It also has a big plus in that it allows for the addition of a RubiCrawler. You can't get that with the NSG370 6 speed!

My two experiences with it have been awful. So maybe the term turd is my thought on it hahaha. The problem I faced was I wanted 37s, I know and the deepest you could gear in the Dana 44 was 538s which still wasn't deep enough. I had coolers on both and replaced torque converters on both, one being stock. Chrysler isn't exactly known for strong transmissions and they tossed the 42rle in the Jeeps when, in my opinion, it wasn't the best choice and did it purely for fuel economy.

Nice start to a nice build. Consider JKS TB vs. MC. The heims are sub par from what I've been reading, and I'm a MC fan and run their control arms.
X2 on the MC T-Bars I think the JKS is a better choice.

Interesting. I've been out of the game a while but I had no issues with my MC trackbacks. Is this something more recent?

Welcome; looking forward to your thoughts on the Savvy 3 inch springs.

I have only owned one BMW, a 1974 2002tii.

Ill be sure to share my thoughts. I loved the 4" springs with Fox combo.

Thats a fantastic BMW!

Few are fans of the heim joint build quality or the orientation at the frame side attachment point. The heim joint is known to squeak often if not lubed.

This is why I love the forums, Thank you guys! Ill reconsider my track bar choice. I assume everyone's recommendation with the JKS means it'll work on a 3" lift, since it works with the OME, shouldn't be an issue with the diff cover?

This is why I love the forums, Thank you guys! Ill reconsider my track bar choice. I assume everyone's recommendation with the JKS means it'll work on a 3" lift, since it works with the OME, shouldn't be an issue with the diff cover?
The Currie Front Track Bar is getting some attention here lately with an offset JJ at the frame side for extra clearance.

Man that Yellow LJR looks awesome. Nice build. I'm sure the next will be just as good, probably better. Some would suggest the JKS adjustable trackbar over the MC, Currie would be tops IMHO. Looking forward to this build!

Savvy 19498708106 (Linear Spring Rate)
Uncompressed Length Front: 20.25
Spring Rate Front: 185
Uncompressed Length Rear: 15.75
Spring Rate Rear: 185

JKS 15172781226 (Progressive Spring Rate)
Uncompressed Length Front: 20
Spring Rate Front: 150/200
Uncompressed Length Rear: 15.125
Spring Rate Rear: 190/240

Reactions: AndrewLJR
Some would suggest the JKS adjustable trackbar over the MC, Currie would be tops IMHO.

I've got approximately 10k miles on my MC front track bar. It developed slop in the heim joint and I'm about to replace it with a part MC sent me. The bar has decent clearance of the front diff at full suspension compression, but if I were doing it again I'd either go JKS or Currie.

I've got approximately 10k miles on my MC front track bar. It developed slop in the heim joint and I'm about to replace it with a part MC sent me. The bar has decent clearance of the front diff at full suspension compression, but if I were doing it again I'd either go JKS or Currie.
I have the MC front trackbar too. I've got about 20,000 miles with no issues I know of, so far. I should check the heim for slop, that is something I have not done. I agree it has decent clearance, it works for my setup, right now. LOL