Back seat delete?

Gregg1LE

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since it is now just me and the misses, I am thinking about removing the back seat to:
-store and secure a medium size Yeti style hard side cooler
-storage for tent, ammo boxes, water ,etc.

If you have done this to your jeep, your ideas and photos would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: JMT
Since it is now just me and the misses, I am thinking about removing the back seat to:
-store and secure a medium size Yeti style hard side cooler
-storage for tent, ammo boxes, water ,etc.

If you have done this to your jeep, your ideas and photos would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure what you are asking, but it is just me and the wifee too, so I sold my back seat on craigslist, but I don't hard store anything in its place/ I mean I pack things up, and tie them down for trips, but for day to day driving I just keep it empty. BTW I also removed the roll bar covers on mine too.

I made a two piece removable, carpeted, platform so that my dogs had an even surface to be on. You can see it in this picture which also shows a new cargo rack that I installed for more, and better, organization when out on the trails. It secures with just four bolts so it’s a pretty quick install and removal.

5FAA2585-6C4A-4F84-99A6-63DDEAEF4F5E.jpeg

There are also lot of idea here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/back-seat-taken-out.3408/

Last edited:
Gregg, sounds like a good idea. I did the same thing after I had the TJ for a few months & I keep the back empty most of the time except when I go off road then I put this tool box back there. I keep all off road related stuff in there like tools, recovery items, tire repair items, first aid & other related things. Makes it really easy because I don’t have to think about what I’m bringing, I just toss the box in & roll, it’s a lightweight plastic Husky & I use the seat brackets to tie it down:

3.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

There's still enough room for a decent size cooler and/or other stuff, generally I have a small cooler I put behind the passenger seat

Reactions: Blondie70
I pulled my rear seat out 2 months ago. Then I unbolted all the seats and brackets so I could get my carpet out. Then because I will get it bed lined one of these days I even took out the rear seatbelts. So far only the front seats, and all the other bolts have been put back. Now I'm not sure I'll ever put any of the rest of it back in. Even though I don't really haul much of anything I really don't like the brackets taking up space.

Serbonze, That's a great looking rack! Who made it and where's it from? I did a little searching and found a couple but not that one. Even though I don't haul much I think I need one!

Reactions: Serbonze
I pulled my rear seat out 2 months ago. Then I unbolted all the seats and brackets so I could get my carpet out. Then because I will get it bed lined one of these days I even took out the rear seatbelts. So far only the front seats, and all the other bolts have been put back. Now I'm not sure I'll ever put any of the rest of it back in. Even though I don't really haul much of anything I really don't like the brackets taking up space.

Serbonze, That's a great looking rack! Who made it and where's it from? I did a little searching and found a couple but not that one. Even though I don't haul much I think I need one!

It's the Olympic 4x4 Mountaineer Rack. It's supposed to be mounted much higher, above the rear seat belt roller assembly in the back. Like you, I pulled all of that out so I was able to mount the rack much lower, nearly to the fender wells. I further modified it by drilling a new set of mounting holes in the side spanner bars. It's designed to be kind of centered in the back, but I wanted it to sit as far back as possible, giving me more room behind my front seats. Overall, it's a solid rack that makes organizing easy and doubles the amount of storage back there. I found a great deal one day on Amazon, so I only paid $210.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1XKAY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yea, I took out my back seat a while back since I'm in a similar situation and it's certainly been convenient to have the extra space. I haven't done anything fancy with the space, but when we go on trips, we just bungie cord anything loose if we have the top down. I also took off the seatbelt straps since they weren't serving any purpose. It's all an easy job with a Torx set, so it's not a big deal if you ever need to add it back in.

Reactions: Blondie70
I made a two piece removable, carpeted, platform so that my dogs had an even surface to be on. You can see it in this picture which also shows a new cargo rack that I installed for more, and better, organization when out on the trails. It secures with just four bolts so it’s a pretty quick install and removal.

View attachment 55247

Looks very professionally done ! Got me thinking.....

Here is what I did in the back of my LJ
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/lj-rear-storage-system.12765/
This thread has a link to my basket design.

You could use just the base board if desired. Your base board would just be shorter for the TJ.
Since I built this system I’ve come across an idea to drill a grid of 1” holes in the base board. This would allow roller cam straps to be threaded through the holes to tie down a variety of boxes or bags.
You just have to think about how you use your jeep.

One thing I miss about Suzuki Sierra (Samurais) was the split rear seat.
I'd love the jeep to have a split rear and have the option to take out one seat.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ

What kind of rack is that or size. That's perfect

First, welcome to the forum. 🍻

It's the Olympic 4x4 Mountaineer Rack. It's supposed to be mounted much higher, above the rear seat belt roller assembly in the back. Like you, I pulled all of that out so I was able to mount the rack much lower, nearly to the fender wells. I further modified it by drilling a new set of mounting holes in the side spanner bars. It's designed to be kind of centered in the back, but I wanted it to sit as far back as possible, giving me more room behind my front seats. Overall, it's a solid rack that makes organizing easy and doubles the amount of storage back there. I found a great deal one day on Amazon, so I only paid $210.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1XKAY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

not sure how helpful this is but here’s a couple I know that make in tub racks for a tj

Hooke road - Amazon
Genright
Motobilt
Bestop - makes a plastic one

There’s probably more out there but those are the bolt in ones I can think of, hope it helps.