LJ rear storage system

jgaz

TJ Enthusiast
After using and living with my LJ the last three years I’ve found that I use it mainly as an off road taxi. It gets myself and a friend down a Jeep trail or Forrest Service road that leads us into an area where we can day hike and look for Indian ruins. The Jeep often gets left at a trail head or back in the brush where we begin our off trail hikes.

I was looking to build something that provides some out of sight storage for all the normal off road gear I take on these trips. I’m hoping for “outta sight, outta mind”. In the past I’ve just had various bags or cases tie down in back.
I also wanted to build something somewhat modular that could be configured different ways.

This picture shows the base board that I started with.
1919D731-E5AF-45C8-9E39-DACBD275FB75.jpeg

The rear seat, seat brackets, and center seat belts have been removed. The board has 1” spacers on the bottom side that fills in these areas and allows the board to just barely rest on the carpet. I used the factory threaded inserts for all the mounting bolts, (a total of 7 fasteners) so no new holes needed to be drilled in the tub. The rear seat can be easily reinstalled if necessary. There are tie down tracks mounted up front to allow for tying down a duffle bag or whatever and also to provide a good base for the mounting bolts.

In the above pic you can also see the cargo basket set up that I built. This basket has proven to be very handy on longer trips.
Details can be found here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/custom-cargo-basket-storage.8648/

These pictures show the drawer and box that I built to provide the storage. You can also see the tie down loops on the side of the box that will allow boxes etc to be tied on the top during camping trips. These loops can be installed in 5 or 6 different locations along the side.

C8D740E4-4A20-4731-B908-48057307AB4A.jpeg

88AF847E-9570-4D11-8F2E-BE68D7D6A1EC.jpeg

I didn’t use a locking latch because the tailgate provides the only real security in that you’d have to get the gate open in order to open the drawer. The center divider in the drawer is fixed to add strength but the rear divider is adjustable or removable.

Here is my fridge slide mounted just in case I want to take my Engle on a multi day camping trip.
77629FDF-FD52-4DB4-AAC7-915CEDCCEFE8.jpeg

I’m already thinking about adding a holder for either my 2 1/2 or 5 gallon MWC. I may also add some 1” holes in various places that would allow me to thread some roller cam straps under the base board to tie down other things if the fridge slide wasn’t used.
I’m trying for an adaptable set up. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Absolutely fabulous work. I love the inexpensive fabrication of truely functional systems !!!!
100% you rule !!

My only suggestion, invest in full extension heavy duty full extension drawer hardware. Under $100 per drawer. But flawless function.

Absolutely fabulous work. I love the inexpensive fabrication of truely functional systems !!!!
100% you rule !!

My only suggestion, invest in full extension heavy duty full extension drawer hardware. Under $100 per drawer. But flawless function.
Thanks!
I considered slides but didn’t really want to add the expense and lose the width of the drawer. The slides would have more than doubled the cost of what I’ve got invested so far.
The drawer box is riding on two runners of 1/8” hardboard installed on the drawer bottom. The runners and the bottom of the outer box have been lubed with a dry lube spray. It moves quite nicely even fully loaded. During construction I tried it for a couple weeks in the AZ heat and found that it definately needed a latch as the drawer would slide fore and aft by itself with just normal acceleration and braking. I’ve got room to add another 1/8” runner on the outer box bottom if the plywood proves to add too much friction long term.

Last edited:
After fooling around with securing things in the back of my Jeep with the new storage system in place I’m definately going to add a carrier for a MWC and drill a few 1” holes as I mentioned above.
Here are the pics where I got the ideas so you’ll know what I’m talking about.
3132DF7B-32E9-419D-91BE-52AA0D08133D.jpeg

4CD7E488-0C00-47E7-A3C0-E0423EE5CC0B.jpeg

B6C2BEA5-419B-4E13-986C-CC07E8D9553A.jpeg

I probably won’t drill quite as many as shown above but you get the idea. When the fridge slide isn’t installed the cutouts in my baseboard serve somewhat the same purpose but I still think some holes will make things easier.

BTW: Damn Chris, it’s sure easy to post pics on your site. I wish the rest of the forums I frequent were as easy to use

Last edited:
Very nice system. If I didn't want to retain my rear seat I would shamelessly copy yours.

My LJ storage setup can be found here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-interior-cargo-rack-for-lj.10707/

Thanks!
This is too funny!

I just obtained about 30’ of 3/4” square tube at a near scrap price. The first thing I thought of when I saw the material was duplicating your rack that allows the seat to remain in use.

I also have no shame when it comes to “reverse engineering”. Lol!

After fooling around with securing things in the back of my Jeep with the new storage system in place I’m definately going to add a carrier for a MWC and drill a few 1” holes as I mentioned above.
Here are the pics where I got the ideas so you’ll know what I’m talking about.
View attachment 55369
View attachment 55370
View attachment 55371

I probably won’t drill quite as many as shown above but you get the idea. When the fridge slide isn’t installed the cutouts in my baseboard serve somewhat the same purpose but I still think some holes will make things easier.

BTW: Damn Chris, it’s sure easy to post pics on your site. I wish the rest of the forums I frequent were as easy to use

I was cleaning out the shed and decided to use up some plywood scraps and make the MWC holder for my storage system.
A6EDBE4E-D38E-4B78-A445-E1A8F407B470.jpeg

I drilled some 1 1/4” holes in the base plate to accept a 1” tie down strap and bolted the carrier to the base board. The holes are much easier to use then the tie down tracks I have installed, but the tie down tracks allow more flexibility if the water can holder isn’t used.

A6610CB0-1002-49DC-A2C0-C453043CB4BB.jpeg

Simple, cheap, effective. My kinda modification.

Last edited: