Bad “Improvements”

Bratch

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
@StG58 made this statement in another thread

“Yup, that'll work. You would enjoy something like that. Resist the urge to "improve" it and it'll last for 300,000 miles.”

After reading it I started wondering: What improvements are actually detrimental to the longevity and reliability?

So far everything I have done has been cosmetic or maintenance but this year I plan to branch out some more. I’d like to avoid anything that would not be beneficial.

Reactions: StG58
stay away from the hype of the 3 core radiators and electric fans are better, I'm in the process or unmodding my cooling system and getting it back to something that will last for years (unless you go to a v8 swap, can't say if it would help there) and also this whole thing about cold air intakes, on my 2000 it didn't add anything to the power or mpg, only thing it helped was noise, now it sounds like a jet firing up for take off

I can give you a few ideas of things that are a complete waste of money on the TJ:
  • Cold air intakes (see here for more info: Cold Air Intake FAQ)
  • Throttle body spacers
  • "Performance radiators" (i.e. aluminum radiators)
  • Cooling system upgrades such as low temp thermostats, electric fans, "performance water pumps", etc.
  • Dropped pitman arms (unless you have some sort of massive lift (like 6" or more)
  • Any sort of engine tuner (i.e. Superchips). The factory PCM / ECU isn't capable of being unlocked by a tuner on these TJs.

Great thread @Bratch. @Chris Would this include unlocking to adjust speedometer?

That unlocking to adjust the speedometer function only works on the JKs is my understanding. On the TJs you actually have to physically change out the speedometer gear for one with the correct amount of teeth.

That unlocking to adjust the speedometer function only works on the JKs is my understanding. On the TJs you actually have to physically change out the speedometer gear for one with the correct amount of teeth.
Thnx! Sounds like I'll just continue to adjust it in my head, or just use the add on app for Google maps that uses GPS to give speed reading.

Reactions: Chris
Ok, here's the long version...

A TJ (well, any Jeep) will last a long time and give great service. The further you deviate from the simple, the stock, the basic, the more issues you'll have and the more frequently you'll have them. A TJ owner is constantly bombarded with a slew of modifications that look and sound really cool. Try to resist the temptation to modify just to modify. The further you get away from stock, the more issues you experience. The engineers who design these things and the people who build them aren't idiots. They've been doing it since 1942, after all. That's a long time in the car world. A lot of them drive these things, as well. A lot. Off road.

My point is: Give any modification you are contemplating a great deal of thought. Are you really sure you need it? Might a different driving tactic work just as well.

There's a pretty famous Jeeper who drove four stock Jeeps, YJ's I think, from Terra Del Fuego to the North Slope. Upgraded the tires to 31x10.50's. Two had factory traction control in the rear only. Two had winches. The group had zero mechanical issues during the trip. All made it. They were the second group to cross the Darien Gap in motorized vehicles, and suffered no casualties doing it.

All the issues that I've ever had off road in a 4x4 were caused by badly thought out modifications, poor maintenance, or raw stupidity. It's the fiddly bits that always fail at just the wrong time and in the wrong place.

Ok, here's the long version...

A TJ (well, any Jeep) will last a long time and give great service. The further you deviate from the simple, the stock, the basic, the more issues you'll have and the more frequently you'll have them. A TJ owner is constantly bombarded with a slew of modifications that look and sound really cool. Try to resist the temptation to modify just to modify. The further you get away from stock, the more issues you experience. The engineers who design these things and the people who build them aren't idiots. They've been doing it since 1942, after all. That's a long time in the car world. A lot of them drive these things, as well. A lot. Off road.

My point is: Give any modification you are contemplating a great deal of thought. Are you really sure you need it? Might a different driving tactic work just as well.

There's a pretty famous Jeeper who drove four stock Jeeps, YJ's I think, from Terra Del Fuego to the North Slope. Upgraded the tires to 31x10.50's. Two had factory traction control in the rear only. Two had winches. The group had zero mechanical issues during the trip. All made it. They were the second group to cross the Darien Gap in motorized vehicles, and suffered no casualties doing it.

All the issues that I've ever had off road in a 4x4 were caused by badly thought out modifications, poor maintenance, or raw stupidity. It's the fiddly bits that always fail at just the wrong time and in the wrong place.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
I'd also like to add that if you want to keep your TJ running as long as possible, always use genuine Mopar parts when it comes to engine and electronic replacements. I say that because the cheap and crap quality replacement parts you get at your local auto part store will generally only last half as long (if that), and if they're electronic replacement parts, they often time won't get rid of the error codes.

@StG58

So far everything I have done has been cosmetic or maintenance but this year I plan to branch out some more. I’d like to avoid anything that would not be beneficial.

LIKE WHAT? %&^#%$@^%$#

Owning a TJ is already a guaranteed waste of money :(

Just look at us how we all turned out to be.... sad, very sad. broke and on denial.

Last edited:
It’s as simple as putting bigger tires on the Jeep as an example. The front axle wasn’t “designed” to carry that added weight. Because of the added weight and leverage the hubs wear out prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindsey97 and Chris
It’s as simple as putting bigger tires on the Jeep as an example. The front axle wasn’t “designed” to carry that added weight. Because of the added weight and leverage the hubs wear out prematurely.
I think you will have to define bigger. The Rubicon version of the TJ came with bigger tires and no part of the axle that carries the weight or steering load changed when compared to even a 97 manual steer 4 banger.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have been wrestling with this question since i bought my tj in the summer. Stock with good tires it is up to anything i can ask of it here in an area close to the arctic circle. So i have two criterion for changes. One, address the jeep's shortcomings. Two, enhance it's strengths. My application is to use it as a daily driver but to also take it across Canada at least yearly in any weather. I'm retires so free like that.
1) Shortcomings. TJ is top heavy and thirsty.. Lighten the load carried, have extra fuel capacity. Think long and hard before you put something on the roof. For example i can sleep inside by building a platform once i remove passenger seat. Not for everyone but works in my application and costs about $10 for plywood scraps. ( see the aussie on utube). Nice in grizzly country as they can climb RTT ladders easily.
2) TJ is reliable. Do regular maintenance and replace water pumps and belts early if about to head out on a trip. Carry spares and some tools.
Pack it according to the rule of threes. We can last 30 seconds without air, three hours without shelter three days without water three weeks without food. Have a small emergency pack with what you need in case you get stranded. Slow down when passing through bison and they accept you as part of the herd. That will be my approach but again i am not rock climbing but going off road where things need to work all the time here in the Yukon

So maybe i'll complete that thought and give an example of what I am considering. My TJ can only carry an 800 pound payload. So when i need to change shocks and coils that might be a good time to upgrade to old man emu or someone else to increase payload. I will never lift it just to lift it however as that changes the angles of the drive units and will invariably lead to premature bearing failures and exacerbates an existing weakness; it is top heavy..
Another example, I carry extra fuel capacity but only use it in areas where fuel is scarce. I fill up before i hit a long barren stretch. Then once past, i leave the extra units empty because the jeep is thirsty and does not need extra weight.

For the final part; this is just the way i pack it. If i had an emergency ( a severe cut from an axe) could i get to my first aid kit in 30 seconds? Am I carrying a tarp, tent or extra shelter because if not it will kill me faster that running out of food. Do I have enough water? Likely as i can wait a long time to eat I have too much food packed. (That is my default setting despite a good beer gut that would see me through the winter on its own). So as stated earlier, define what you need first. Take your time, try things out, then decide. It is all about making the changes that will improve the jeep experience.