Badland Apex Advice

Torpedo01

So Harbor Freight has the Badland Apex 12000lb winch that I can get for $488. I’d say it fits my needs as it would be mostly for occasional use and the price is right for what it is.

I have no problems with the stock bumper though and would prefer to keep it. Does anyone have pictures of that specific winch on a stock bumper, or is there any reason I shouldn’t use the stock one?

8-10k would be a little more reasonable. Plus there are better winches out there...take that for what its worth.

A winch plate bolts to the frame, and your winch on top of that. Assuming the HF bolt pattern is the standard 10x4.5" then something as simple as the rough country winch plate would suit your needs and fit the stock bumper.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=383802849870

Stock bumper with an RC plate.

20200604_172405.jpg

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
There is currently a 25% coupon that appears to work, making that winch $450 (it's regularly $599 at my store). Coupon expires on 12/6 I believe.

The usefullness of the hobofreight winches is they're cheap and work most of the time. Keyword: most...
The apex winch is a stupid purchase. If you're going to spend that much, get something name brand with a warranty and actual support.

IMO if you're going to spend more than the $250-$300 for ghetto winch, spend the $600 on the warn m8000

ALL winches for under $500 are made in China, even Warn. Take your pick. My brother had the Chicago Electric (HF brand) winch for 7 years with no problems. It even beat some of the HIGH END winches in the old "Winches in Hell" shootout. Paying more doesn't always mean you get more.

Jeep Articles / General (Winches In Hell) - MoabJeeper Magazine
Yeah I’m happy with the winch choice, I think for the Apex they are gunning for more of a quality product, like they are trying with their Icon line.

I have the 12,000 lb. Apex (latest version) and I have used it 5 times since new (purchased in October). I have already saved more than the winch cost me. It pulls fast and strong and I foresee no issues.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I picked up a X20 (was 330 when I bought it) works well, no problems so far. Been through a few rain storms and some street pulls (cycle the winch at least once a month to Jeep things from sticking up) mounted it on the stock bumper with a flat plate from @Ephry73 (RC I think but it doesn’t really matter, it’s just plate steel)

I like the look, and for me it works great 5year electric warranty and lifetime mech. Waterproof to. It’s no warn, but it’s got the APEX beat IMO

7DB43654-B73A-4AC6-B75B-3A16ACAB0609.jpeg

(you can also mount the Control box above the drum if you like that look)

• Love
Reactions: Ephry73
I picked up a X20 (was 330 when I bought it) works well, no problems so far. Been through a few rain storms and some street pulls (cycle the winch at least once a month to Jeep things from sticking up) mounted it on the stock bumper with a flat plate from @Ephry73 (RC I think but it doesn’t really matter, it’s just plate steel)

I like the look, and for me it works great 5year electric warranty and lifetime mech. Waterproof to. It’s no warn, but it’s got the APEX beat IMO

View attachment 207987
(you can also mount the Control box above the drum if you like that look)
I have the X20 in 12k# I am moving the control box to the engine bay just because.

Looking good!!

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
Hmm now you guys got me thinking... I didn’t think about the availability of replacement parts and warranty lengths. The Warn is out of my price range, and I can’t find the X20 anywhere close to $330 though..

Hmm now you guys got me thinking... I didn’t think about the availability of replacement parts and warranty lengths. The Warn is out of my price range, and I can’t find the X20 anywhere close to $330
Amazon just pumped there prices up for Christmas, if you can, wait and it will hopefully come back down.