Ball joint issues

ARawls88

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Took the TJ in for ball joints, shop calls me and says the top ball joint hole on the C is out of spec and ball joints basically dropped in by hand. I took a spare HP 30 I had down and they call this morning saying it has the same issue. Could there be something they’re doing wrong or is it just my luck to have 2 junk Axles? Thanks!

Sounds like they have the wrong ball joints or are trying to pull a fast on you

Took the TJ in for ball joints, shop calls me and says the top ball joint hole on the C is out of spec and ball joints basically dropped in by hand. I took a spare HP 30 I had down and they call this morning saying it has the same issue. Could there be something they’re doing wrong or is it just my luck to have 2 junk Axles? Thanks!
Yes, it is common for the actual ball joint body to be out of spec. I've seen it several times. They need to measure the one they removed accurately and check that against the new ball joint they are trying to install.

@mrblaine these are the joints I ordered. They even picked up another set of moog from Napa with the same results
ECED07D5-D579-447B-B9CC-6D9A81DA7C4E.jpeg

@mrblaine these are the joints I ordered. They even picked up another set of moog from Napa with the same results View attachment 198064
All they can do is measure the one they removed, check that against the new ones and go from there. A bit of critical thought for them. If the one they removed was not able to be pulled out by hand, then the new one should not fall in by hand.

Were I doing the job, I would have called you upon removal since the ball joint would fall out if there is an issue with the inner C. I would not have had to try and install a new one to know the C is FUBAR.

All they can do is measure the one they removed, check that against the new ones and go from there. A bit of critical thought for them. If the one they removed was not able to be pulled out by hand, then the new one should not fall in by hand.

Were I doing the job, I would have called you upon removal since the ball joint would fall out if there is an issue with the inner C. I would not have had to try and install a new one to know the C is FUBAR.
Yes they did call me. He explained that after pressing the bottom out he noticed the top ball joint was already half way out of the C.

Yes the did call me. He explained that after pressing the bottom out he noticed the top ball joint was already half way out of the C.
The inner C is screwed and they will need to dimple the ball joint body with a sharp center punch in a 1/8" pattern and set it with some Loctite 609 or similar.

Reactions: ARawls88
The inner C is screwed and they will need to dimple the ball joint body with a sharp center punch in a 1/8" pattern and set it with some Loctite 609 or similar.
Is this a good fix for a daily driver? I know you have experience in this so I’m not questioning you, just for my personal knowledge. Thanks

Is this a good fix for a daily driver? I know you have experience in this so I’m not questioning you, just for my personal knowledge. Thanks
It has been so far. I can't guarantee that it will work as well as a correct press fit but it is how we set them when knurled bodies have ruined the hole. Look at it this way. If it doesn't work long term, all you've done is buy time while you find a good housing or pay to have a new inner C installed. I don't do inner C replacements due to how cheap a housing is typically.

The upper can't be pulled through the hole, so there is minimal risk of catastrophic failure. The worst case is you get a case of DW and know its time for a new solution.

Reactions: ARawls88
It has been so far. I can't guarantee that it will work as well as a correct press fit but it is how we set them when knurled bodies have ruined the hole. Look at it this way. If it doesn't work long term, all you've done is buy time while you find a good housing or pay to have a new inner C installed. I don't do inner C replacements due to how cheap a housing is typically.

The upper can't be pulled through the hole, so there is minimal risk of catastrophic failure. The worst case is you get a case of DW and know its time for a new solution.
Well the shop doesn’t sound like they want to do that so I guess I’m trailering it home and on the look for another axle

Ask them to try one of the Moog knurled versions. They are what has ruined the upper hole by making it too large for a smooth body ball joint.
I’m just getting them to get it back rolling. I’ll try some at my shop. These guys aren’t my for trouble shooting of it doesn’t go right the first time. Problems with working in these rural parts...

Question on the pic above??? Are these ball joints suitable for an an 04 TJ sport (Dana 30)????..... I've tried to select these on other parts sites and they state that they do not fit my year and model.
Pretty sure those are correct. I got the numbers from a thread here that @Chris posted

Reactions: Chris