Banging, clunking, and creaking noise coming from suspension

SamBone02X

I have an 02 TJ with a 4” rough country lift that has never given me any issue whatsoever. Well recently I’ve noticed this horrible bang/clunk that feels like It’s coming from right under the center console area and it is quite loud when driving on a gravel road or a bump. I went hunting this morning and had the jeep in 4H and it did fantastic other than this noise. It also creaks when I take off from a light or from a stopped position sometimes, as well as when I get in the jeep. The control arms are fairly new and the bushings appear fine, there is zero play in them. Transmission mount has just been replaced as well. Any ideas? The loud clunk has got to go it drives me crazy!

I have an 02 TJ with a 4” rough country lift that has never given me any issue whatsoever. Well recently I’ve noticed this horrible bang/clunk that feels like It’s coming from right under the center console area and it is quite loud when driving on a gravel road or a bump. I went hunting this morning and had the jeep in 4H and it did fantastic other than this noise. It also creaks when I take off from a light or from a stopped position sometimes, as well as when I get in the jeep. The control arms are fairly new and the bushings appear fine, there is zero play in them. Transmission mount has just been replaced as well. Any ideas? The loud clunk has got to go it drives me crazy!
Recheck the torque on the control arm bolts, after I put new bushings in mine I had to retorque them as they started making noise.

Reactions: Zorba
Recheck the torque on the control arm bolts, after I put new bushings in mine I had to retorque them as they started making noise.

Ok will do thanks, I haven’t checked the upper connection come to think of it

Reactions: John Cooper
Turns out my right rear control arm, where it bolts to the frame was loose, i tightened it down and haven't heard the noise since. Real test will be when i take it out hunting/off-road, but around town today it did not make the noise anymore. Thanks for your suggestion!

Turns out my right rear control arm, where it bolts to the frame was loose, i tightened it down and haven't heard the noise since. Real test will be when i take it out hunting/off-road, but around town today it did not make the noise anymore. Thanks for your suggestion!
Glad I could help!!!! RC is by no means the best out there, but it is still better than Rusty's. Ha ha ha